Maserati tool roll restoration/upgrade | FerrariChat

Maserati tool roll restoration/upgrade

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jamespeter26, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi everyone,

When I purchased my 1982 QP3, a few items were missing as is often the case after 40 years of existence, mostly the jack (but not the original jack pouch!) and the tool roll. Anyone who's been looking for an original tool roll knows that the price of these items is out-of-proportion with their value and can reach thousands for a full set. The tool roll alone is often in the hundreds range and that's quite prohibitive.

Some companies (including a well-known restoration shop in Italy) are making new rolls, similar to the originals provided by Maserati with new cars, but they cost more than 300 euros (tools not included).

I didn't like these two solutions, fist because the price is excessive in my view, and second because the material used is rather cheap, compared to the rest of the car. It is some sort of faux leather, prone to cracks and brittleness, as evidenced by my used (and empty) jack pouch.

I am not an originality freak, but I love the look and feel and prancticality of a tool roll. Since the purpose of restorations is often to bring the car to a perfection level it never had over the course of its life, sometimes better than when it left the factory, why not apply this to the tool roll as well? Re-using the original design and measurements, I asked an highly rated leather shop on Etsy to reproduce this tool roll in genuine leather, to create a bag which will hopefully be more durable than the original. Below are the five instructional images I shared with him, based on an original Maserati tool roll.

To say that I am impressed would be an understatement. He did an outstanding job and the result is stunning and actually much more in line with the spirit of the Quattroporte. The leather is a high-quality, thick and durable one, and the longest part of the roll (80 cm!) is cut from a single hide, which is a clear sign of quality. I also asked him to insert a black fabric lining on the inner side to prevent tools from damaging the leather. Below are some photos of the roll as I received it this morning, more images to come with tools as well.

Last but not least, I paid $125 for this bag, which is less than half the minimum price restoration companies would charge for faux leather rolls.

I do not know if I can publish his contact details in this thread, but I'd be happy to share them in a private message.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MrMark, boralogist and 71Satisfaction like this.
  2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #2 71Satisfaction, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Brilliant solution to the 'Practical Driver' level of restoration.. I was just on the Beta Tools website yesterday sleuthing around for a set of vintage looking tools. MIE offers a reasonable reproduction toolkit for far less than the OEM stuff you find online. Their listing describes the tools being sourced from Beta, so that's why I was over there looking around... You have a PM.
    Cheers,
    - Art

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would caution you about the terms of service here because I think you just might get booted for selling things WO getting permission first and that would be a shame. If all you're doing is pointing to someone who sells them and you have no business relationship with them then I think you're OK but they might not beleive that's all you're doing.

4. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for your advice, I am new to this forum and I now realize that my post could be misunderstood. I have no affiliation with that seller whatsoever. My point was mostly to say that it was possible to re-create an upgrade tool rolls, much like shock absorbers or ignition systems, and share the design I was happy with. I'm open to anyone re-using this design, which could of course be ordered from any leather shop and not only the one I used.

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hey,
    I'm just coming back to post this photo here for anyone's future reference, because I got these photos of my Khamsin friend's original tool kit. Does anyone know what the black rubber cone is for?

..as you can tell, somewhere along the way he lost his octagonal center-hub wrench.
    I'm going to make him an improved version of a prototype I made for myself. We'll see if water-jet cutting is cost-effective.
    Cheers,
    - Art

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    PS - The spark plug wrench does not appear original..

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That looks different than the one in post #1. Brown piping. The plastic wheel is for spinning tool #5 when operating the jack. I have the same thing on my Espada's tool kit and it's broken in half ... mine is not cone shaped though???? So maybe not.
    At least you don't have earned knockoffs to deal with ... I use a specialized socket with a Harbor Freight POS torque wrench and a long piece of pipe. No swinging of lead hammers for me! LOL

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Art...

I thought I would attach a picture of my 85 K's tool roll, for comparison.. I think they are pretty much the same...
    I also included the spacer which I believe is used when employing the small spare tire... I have the center hub wrench
    somewhere.. Will provide a picture of it when I locate it!

Mike

9. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    oops... that should be 75 K's tool roll !!! Sorry about that...

Mike

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i have orig small screwdrivers and i think i have the hammer.
    pm me with any interest. not expensive.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's the hammer for?

Yeah when I saw 85 I did a double take! :)

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Bob.. Yeah, I fat-fingered the year... Good question on the hammer...
    Maybe it can be used on the hub wrench, if need be.. I will try and locate the
    hub wrench and attach a picture.. May tell us something...

Mike

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Attached is a photo of the octagonal wrench that came with my car.. Perhaps the hammer,
    discussed earlier, is to top the end of the wrench lightly to loosen it...

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm going to plead utter ignorance on these for a Maserati or are these just for screw on covers not real knockoffs? I have those for my 15" Hayashi 3 pc rims for the 84 Biturbo. I don't use a hammer and they stay on just fine. They're aluminum now but originally were chrome plated plastic which didn't work well. I jave a similar wrench to that and it digs in abit into the aluminum hub. Someone used to make thick reinforced plastic wrenches but I never found one.

On Lamborghinis it's an entirely different thing with a huge MFer of a lead hammer because it's an actual knock off mount. Consider yourself blessed ...

15. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I don't think that you would need a hammer in addition to that octogonal wrench to tighten/untighten the decorative caps that are mounted on the bolt-on Campagnolo's of Khamsin's.
    I would do it manually.

IMHO, a lead hammer is required to tighten/untighten octogonal central spinners of the knock-off Campagnolo's with splined hubs that were mounted on early Ghibli's.
    The alternative being to use the special tool to torque/untorque such spinners.

16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Bob... The octagonal wrench that cam with my car is interesting.. I probably wouldn't use the hammer on
    the end of it either, unless there was a way to protect the chrome finishing of the fake spinners (decorative caps/screw on covers)...
    And I agree, it would seem this wrench would dig into the chrome finish without some kind of protection to.
    Fortunately, I haven't had to use it, with much effort I have been able to wrestle the covers off manually(so far!)...

Mike

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    That style hammer came with most Maserati tool kits. Even the Indy and Bora tool kits had one, therefore it has nothing to do with the tool to remove the Khamsin's center cap. Cars with true knock-off wheels came with both this style and a larger lead hammer.

Ivan

18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So maybe it's for valve adjustments ... :p

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #19 staatsof, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    I have mine double layered with electrical tape. Still not great.

It seems BBS makes some.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBS-Wrench-Wheel-Centre-Cap-Tool-Spanner-VW-BMW-AUDI-MAZDA-70mm/164488257232?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201208142511%26meid%3Db522563f6abc40719e66675c96348756%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D203224509194%26itm%3D164488257232%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplRVIAMLv5WebWithPLRVIOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Now for a size check.

20. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Be careful, that BBS tool is for hexagonal caps.
    I have one myself for BBS RS wheels and the size of the nut is 80 mm, not 70 mm as in this ebay ad.
    So maybe there are several models

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I know. I'm not sure which size mine are so I need to check. I had the aluminum caps made by HRE wheel company though they no longer offer anything like that.