Maserati MC20 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well it's a turbo but so is the Roma and it sounds nice. They need to work on the sound !! It looks like a Porsche 918 with a Maserati grill and sounds like an Audi. Are we sure this is not a German sportscar :)

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s called the sound of a 90 degree V6.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    With a turbo.. Normally aspirated does not sound this bad.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, you can not compare the sound in this clip with the REAL sound. Camera mikes are not the best and probably your computer speakers are also not matching the reality.

3500 GT, Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They will make it sound better. What's it doing testing at the Ferrari test track if Ferrari had nothing to do with it .

wbaeumer likes this.
  6. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I’ve found that the testing videos, especially those of cars on the Ring, are fairly representative of the sound of the car. Given that this is a turbo car and being produced in the era of enhanced EU sound and CO2 limits, I think it’s reasonable to be concerned that what we hear is what we’ll get, at least in the EU. I’m in the US and read that there may be a diff exhaust in the US so I’m hopeful that’s the case. If the US version sounds like what’s in that video, no way I buy the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Also, I’ve owned 4 Maseratis and I’m a big fan of the brand. I’m rooting for them and want to buy this car, but the aural experience needs to live up to Maserati’s history for me to buy the MC20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    $300k when all said and done with the options?

A Mclaren 720S makes much more sense and looks much more impressive.

Adamas, LARRYH and slm like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes good question!

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    yes it does.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    while Maserati primarily uses Varano for testing. Fiorano is a wired track that can provide data that can’t be provided elsewhere. Don’t think Ferrari didn’t charge them for the track time, and they somehow end up with copies of the data to evaluate what Maserati has developed.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #262 F1tommy, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    I am sure Ferrari also charged them for their engineering time that is being put into the MC20. Why you so dead set against that. You are an extremely knowledgeable person but you seem to be letting your biased viewpoints cloud your judgement like alot of people around the Maserati forum here. Maserati has not been an independent for many decades and had poor management way before Ferrari and FIAT saved them. By the way, have you ever heard one of the 90 degree normally aspirated Alfa V6 DTM motors?? Do they sound like this 90 degree V6 turbo. Ferrari will help Maserati make it sound better.

On the looks, having the overall shape of a Porsche 918 is not a bad thing as that is one of Porsches best looking cars. This is a very good looking car even if it is not Italian enough in my opinion.

One of the Maserati dealers I talked to said they can only get 1 car, maybe 2 out of 300 allotted to the US market. This car will be a good investment if the figures don't go up from that number sort of like the Alfa 8C/Maserati have gone up in value. They also said they have seen the new Granturismo and it looks like the old GT with a completely new front and rear and hood and all electric according to his factory reps. It that true?.

Igor Ound likes this.
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Side side profile is of the new Granturismo. The greenhouse does look like the old GT with a new more rounded front and rear end. Only available with electric motor now?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Seem to be not a car for me. I still miss the great Alfieri...! What a wasted chance!

amenasce, Ferraripilot and Froggie like this.
  15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I would seriously doubt that it will only be offered as an EV. While it will be Maserati’s 1st All Electric vehicle, don’t see how it could possibly be even close to being profitable offered as Only an EV.

While governments continue to try to social engineer EVs purchases which is the only reason why manufacturers are building them. the consumers for the most part are rejecting them. Maserati can’t afford to build a niche vehicle only for a very small group of customers that want an EV. As a hybrid it may sell, as a EV it will be nailed to the showroom floor. They will need some type of ICE to be profitable.

LARRYH, F1tommy and wbaeumer like this.
  16. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Do we know if the MC20 comes with GPF? Due to it's pre chamber combustion technology it should in theory run much cleaner than a convential direct injection.

17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's the best thing I can say about this car. It fails to inspire ... But if people love it and it performs well then that's terrific for Maserati. It's just not a beautiful car. Looks more like some of my slot cars when I was a kid going to the big electric tracks.

18. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    StregaP likes this.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think he might be referring to the new electric Granturismo. Never liked the old Granturismo either other than the front. Way to big a rear end. They gave up alot to get those tiny rear seats in back in 2007. The thing is huge compared to the GS and 4200's.

20. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I have only seen photos so far, but think it looks fantastic in the photos. Those who have actually seen it, tell it looks even better in reality. I think it is an extremely elegant, uncluttered design.

Nembo1777, wbaeumer and boralogist like this.
  21. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    She talks typicall PR-blahhh-blaaahhh! And she does it in all other of her useless Video-features!

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Yes, you may be right Walter, but she seems to really like the car and generally does a nice piece of marketing for it.

boralogist likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #275 Nembo1777, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    I love good lady presenters and there are very competent ones around. But this one with her silly nickname, purple hair and annoying way of talking, jumping at the camera is tiresome. Then she brings in a slang talking punk...tells you all you need to know about her target audience...in school...after a few minutes I had to turn it off.

I loved it in person at the French launch in Beaune October 10 and can't wait to drive one and see it in the various colours, I would want one in blue with tan leather.
    Only thing I am not too fond of is the doors, sure enough it impressed these two but not something I would want. Koenigsegg has much smarter doors, such as on the Jesko, that type would have been interesting.

wbaeumer likes this.