Maserati MC20 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The engine has been revealed today. The Debut of the car is now scheduled for September. 90 degree V6, twin turbo, twin spark, 630 HP. If they put this in a modified Alfa 4c chassis its going to be a rocket. AND -- they are going to race it.

Maserati presents Nettuno: the new 100% Maserati engine that adopts F1 technology for a road car

https://www.maserati.com/international/en/news/nettuno-engine-MC20-reveal-9-september-modena?utm_campaign=hq_crm_2020_07_MdaySTD_MC20_Engine_name

The new power unit has a V90° architecture, with a 3-litre, 6-cylinder twin-turbo, and features a dry sump (a classic solution on super sportscars). It delivers 630CV at 7500rpm and 730 Nm of torque from 3000rpm with a specific power output of 210CV/litre.

The compression ratio is 11:1, the stroke is 82 mm and the bore 88 mm.

The soul of the engine is the innovative pre-chamber combustion system featuring twin-spark plugs. This technology is derived from Formula 1 and is now available, for the first time, on an engine destined for the road.

The engine has three main features:

• The pre-chamber: a combustion chamber is set between the central electrode and the traditional combustion chamber and connected by a series of specially-designed holes.
    • Lateral sparkplug: a traditional sparkplug acts as a support to ensure constant combustion when the engine is operating at a level that doesn’t need the pre-chamber to kick in.
    • Twin injection system – direct and indirect: linked to the fuel supply pressure at 350bar, the system reduces noise low down on the rev range, lowering emissions and improving consumption.
    It is strategically important and supported by the Innovation Lab, which, thanks to virtual analysis, has allowed development and planning times to be notably reduced.

The new “Made in Modena” engine, a traditional 90° V6, has been taken to unheard of power and torque levels and will be used for the first time on the MC20 super sportscar. The MC20 will take Maserati back to the world of racing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I like what I'm seeing! Now curious about the price...

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very nice and the going racing news is very important to me. I hope they don't cover this pretty motor up with a bunch of plastic. Leave it out to admire when you open the engine cover.

I will take this over an electric version any day of the week +100!!.

TheMayor likes this.
  4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seems unlikely they will cover this up given the CF window dressing on top. 3 liter, 90 degree v6-- its the "new Dino" --- with about 350 more Hp!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It would compete to some degree against the Corvette Z06 which is supposed to be like 580-600 HP N/A flat plane crank V8. No word on that price yet but some Chevy dealers are already taking deposits for the Coupe and Convertible versions.

6. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Excited about this car. Hopefully it has better proportions than the 4c.

Not sure how it would compete with the vette if this starts at 160k though.

timjen88 and DGPF like this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Maserati would be in a much better financial position if they updated their cars more often. When the F136 debuted in the early 2000s, it had 390hp. A Z06 of that era had 405. That was a lot of power. By the time the new Z06 appeared with 505, the F136 was making somewhere in the low 400s. I don't anticipate them keeping up year by year with big companies but even now they still use that engine, although phasing it out, and it produces 450 which is just too little too late.

This is probably one of the last, if not the last, ICE engine they'll make.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I completely agree. I think Sergio wanted to spend the money on Alfa at the expense of Maserati.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes but now if Maserati (FCA) were
    smart they would use the excellent Giorgio platform to update the rest of their lineup ASAP.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maserati is almost a dead brand now. They need something to make it relevant

Everything in their line is really, really old.

Attached Files:

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  11. fjman

fjman Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    MD/DC
    Full Name:
    Andrew Lamkin
    I’m hoping this engine is just the start to them revamping the model line up. Hopefully they can improve their dealership experience as well. The Levante really isn’t that impressive and I think the Ghibli and Quattroporte look way too similar. But.... given their massive depreciation, I find myself casually shopping for a pre-owned Quattoporte online from time to time!

TheMayor likes this.
  12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why isn't this in the Maserati section?

fidjeland and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks like the Alfa on steroids. I hope that's not accurate.

DGPF, flat_plane_eddie and crinoid like this.
  15. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    How come you compare the MC20 to an american muscle car? It is like saying: For $15 my stomach gets more full from a Big Mac de luxe meal than prosciutto with parmesan. Sorry but you just don’t get it.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    All that new F1 tech in a road car under the Maserati brand, what could possibly go wrong? 350 bar? No problem. That said, I love what I'm seeing so far

WilliamB likes this.
  17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Unlike described in the article, the MC20 is not based on the carbon chassis of the 4C. The car has a new aluminium chassis with carbon body components and will definitely not look like the one in the article.

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The article doesn’t say it’s the same as the 4C.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I compare machine to a machine, and if they are planning a 2 seat car than it will be compared to cars like the F type AMG GT's and the C8. I supposed you folks who feel some emotional attachment to a machine with cry out how dare they. I have probably owned or driven most of the cars that they will compare it to, and have also owned 4 Maserati's (Coupe, 2 GT and Q"Port) and the biggest problem they all had was the chassis and suspension. You could say the cars looks wrote a check it could not cash. The GT MC, sounded great and it was fine as a pedestrian everyday driver, but the car had more power then the chassis (and suspension) could properly handle, and I spun that thing around almost every time I drove it the way I like to drive cars. I was interested in the MC20 (maybe once I drive it I will change my mind), but now my plan is to buy another 4C and take it apart, new engine new interior new suspension. My guess is that for less than 100K I will have a very special machine that should be scary (what I must have) to drive. HP is nice but I'm guessing i I can get 450HP of the the new engine in the 4C the power to weight ratio should be pretty good and it will likely perform as well or better than the new Maserati. But I build cars for me, not the general public so I have a bit of an advantage, I am the only one that has to like it.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    crinoid likes this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Top Gear magazines article said it would be similar as well. It said Dallara had input on the 4C construction and will have input on the MC20 tub as well. I think the 4C great so an larger improved 4C is not a bad thing.

lineaTesoro likes this.
  22. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Looks very promising!... I am sure it will look very good in the blue color beneath the camouflage.

23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    9-maserati-mc20-render-2020-static-front-jpg.2948572

I stole the picture from the other MC20 thread.. which covers some of the same territory.. I hope the engine and chassis are phenomenal, because otherwise I think its styling lacks brand differentiation.

Technology and performance can be had across a wide price range, but styling and degree of detailing projects what is unique about a brand with far more impact.

It is pretty for sure, but see nothing unique here. The design simply shouts "Ferrari 430/458/488" at me.
    - Art

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob