Maserati Khamsin | Page 384 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    So you are Holland's Sherlock Van Der Holmes;-)

MK1044 likes this.
  2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    No, that would be too much honour :)

But one of the Dutch tv-detectives did drive a Maserati for some time though, not a Khamsin, see photo below. This fictional character has inherited a fortune, always lives in hotels and, apart from being a detective, does not work. A typical Maserati owner :)

Later they gave him a modern Jaguar in the series, because of sponsor money I suspect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A true Maserati Gentleman I see:)

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    When? Title of the TV-series? Do you know more about that Ghibli?

5. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi All, I removed the rear subframe and Diff today. The two front differential mounting bushes look nearly new, but the rest of the subframe bushes and the two rear diff bushes need replacing I think.

Does anyone know a source for these? I’ve spent some time googling but not found anything yet.

cheers

6. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Several in EU.
    MIE in US. Talk to Jeff.

7. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Thanks. I had a look on their website but couldn’t see them listed.

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    They have parts that are not listed.

Ivan

Nembo1777 and series1 like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mark write to them, call them, establish a relationship, being proactive is the way forward. Keep us informed of your progress, let us know your next questions, we are rooting for you:)

series1 likes this.
  10. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    I will answer in the Ghibli (1966-1973) thread

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Technical Question:

Does anyone have tips to follow when refilling all the fluids after the engine and systems have been completely drained? I assume there will be some air-bleeding involved since I haven't been able to fit the max quantity of LHM and Coolant called for in the Owner's Manual.

I have started refilling and here is my status:

- Manual says LHM system takes 4liters. I've only been able to put 2l into the reservoir. I assume it needs the pump to provide circulation to self-bleed. I'll follow up with checking 'dead-ends', if the brakes or clutch feel soft, etc.

- Manual says Coolant system takes 3.7gallons. I've only been able to fit about 2 gallons. I assume this also needs some circulation, but the header tank is way up high so this confuses me the most.

- Manual says Engine Oil takes 13.7quarts. I was able to fill all of the oil, plus I pre-filled the oil filter, so this is not an issue.

Here's my plan - I have to check cylinder compression anyway - so I'll remove all the sparkplugs, and crank the engine over with the starter motor to check compression. This will run the water and LHM pumps while I'm checking compression, and when I'm done I expect the circulation will have made room for the missing amount of fluids... no?

Any comments or expertise?

Grazie,
    - Art

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Hi Art,

According to Dave Burnham the brakes need to be bled after the brake spheres are rebuilt. I bleed mine but did not see any bubbles come out. As you probably know a lot of LHM is expelled when the brake pedal is applied with the bleed screw open. I would let it bleed about a liter per wheel; opening and closing the bleeder several times. After each wheel I put the captured LHM back into the reservoir. I have previously bleed the brakes so the LHM that came out this time was like new. If this is the first time you bleed your brakes you probably want to throw away the first ounces of each wheel. I did not bleed the clutch and it feels fine.
    There is a bleeder screw on the pressure regulator, which on a Khamsin is a pain to reach. You have to move the windshield washer reservoir out of the way to even see the regulator . Use a 12mm wrench to open the bleeder while the engine is running. Do this several times. Do not completely remove the bleeder of the small steel ball that is inside will come flying out (ask me how I know).

The coolant is being stopped by the closed thermostat and most of the coolant is in the radiator and not the engine itself. Start the engine with the radiator cap off and keep an eye on the temperature gauge as it will most likely climb up very quickly. Stop the engine before the temperature pegs to the right. The engine heat should open the thermostat and you can add the missing coolant. An alternative is to disconnect the bypass hose and add the coolant through that opening.

Ivan

MK1044, 010, Froggie and 1 other person like this.
  13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Perfect Ivan,
    That covers both LHM and Coolant bleeding very nicely.
    .. oh yes, I know the 12mm pressure release bolt of which you speak. Ugh.

BTW did you know the entire windshield washer tank, bracket, strap, and pump can be sourced new from Lucas? They exchange with one for the Jaguar E-Type... and the strap is just as weak and useless as the original.

Thank you.
    - Art

010 and boralogist like this.
  14. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    OK.
    Obviously no interest/knowledge!

The reason I looked into this issue is the way the fully locked down hood on my car visually trembles starting at around 100 mph or so.
    The 2 rubber grommets under the hood not making proper hard contact appear to be the culprits in my case!

16. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    My car has the extra brace. It also has 6 rubber bump stops on the wings to stop the bonnet moving, I guess.

17. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    MK1044, AMLC, Astonish78 and 2 others like this.
  18. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes 6 fixed wing bump stops which seem to be there for no reason.
    The 2 adjustable ones under the hood are actually useful/functional.

BTW---Love your spirit.
    I am sure you will have a stunning K when done!
    Congratulations; look forward to meeting you both in June 2022:)

19. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Thanks. The photo, from carnut seems to have the centre bump stop absent as well.

20. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes. Good catch!
    BOTH missing:(

series1 likes this.
  21. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If I did not know better... That could have been mine as well (I have those same shots somewhere from a few years back). A good start... Albeit nerve testing as well. Bonne chance!

series1 likes this.
  22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Kh 1196 has the extra cross brace. It is missing both adjustable mid-hood bumpers.
    I sourced new ones from MrFiat as Alfa GTV6 hood bumpers a few months ago.
    The Alfa GTV6 bumpers are only run in batches when there are enough orders.
    I was notified they ran a batch and were recently shipped, so I'll let you know if these Alfa bumpers are workable exchanges.
    - Art

010 and boralogist like this.
  23. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    My Khamsin (090) does not have the extra brace.

24. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    OK.
    Should we look into when this brace first appeared/or is it just a random occurrence?
    May help pinpoint why exactly Maserati introduced this mod.
    Or maybe not;)

25. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It appears it might have been random. The photo from my website on post 9589 is of car #1220 which was built on February 1978. My current K (#1284) has the brace and cars as early as #1010 also had it. Could this be a one off manufacturing defect where someone forgot to weld in the brace?
    Ivan

MK1044 likes this.