Maserati Khamsin | Page 357 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes not in the best condition, fantasy black vents and bonnet/hood emblem missing...they never answered my emails and messages...

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I'm not really crazy about the factory wheels. But so far I haven't seen any custom wheels that I like at all on a Khamsin. I think the factory wheels are the best.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Wheels on a car are like make up for a lady, but Goddesses don't need makeup:D true beauty is best untampered with.

boralogist and MK1044 like this.
  4. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    MK1044 likes this.
  5. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    MK1044 likes this.
  6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Looks horrible, part of which is caused by the tire sizing. From an aesthetic standpoint the tire size doesn’t properly fill the wheel wells. It’s back to using the proper 215/70/15 XWX.

7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I agree that on the pic above, the wheels look too big.
    Maybe they are repro, not the original BBS RS in 16".
    If the size is 17", if the offsets are too low, then the wheels/tires come out of the wheel wells.

The original BBS RS that I showed, also here under look a bit samller.
    They are wheels that were designed originally for Merak's and Bora's.
    These original BBS were 16", 10" wide rears with an offset of 30 (255/50 ZR16 tires) and 8" wide fronts with an offset of 18 (225/55 ZR16 tires).
    They were also used on Khamsin's, sometimes with the big wheels on the front however.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am working on a Khamsin and the oil dipstick has only a single handmade groove to indicate the recommended oil level. I am surprised there is only one groove as on my Ghibli it has two similar grooves to mark the minimum and maximum levels. Need the help of a Khamsin owner to check his car's dipstick. How many grooves does it has? Please take measurements as the photo below. If only one groove ... is this the minimum or the maximum?

Ivan

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    My ex baby... I would buy it in an instant if I could.
    It was spotted in recent weeks at Leo Peschl's restoration workshop in Cologne, Germany.
    The Dutch owner asked for my opinion on Peschl's estimate, I answered go for it, not sure what he decided.

MK1044 likes this.
  10. khamsin433

khamsin433 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hi Ivan,

My car does have two marks on the dipstick.

First measurement overall length. Please note I’ve tried to measure as best as I can as the dipstick is curved.
    Overall length is to the bottom of the flange in the metal fitting at the top
    42.5 cm

Second one from tip of dipstick to max mark 21.8cm

Third one is from tip of dipstick to min mark 18.4 cm

detail pic of marks

71Satisfaction likes this.
  11. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Hope the above pics help

Regards

Bal

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    TECH QUESTION:
    - Where is the drain plug for the Khamsin's coolant and radiator?
    I don't see one in the parts catalog Tables.
    I don't see one on visual inspection.

I can pull the lower coolant hose.. I just want to know.
    Grazie,
    - Art

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thank you Bal, very useful !

My dip stick is also 42.5cm long and I was able to located the second marking (it is very faint). What is interesting is that my max marking is at 20.2cm and the min at 17.4cm. The fact that the marking are hand cut may mean that for some unknown reason the oil level readings vary by car. This does not make any logical reason to me but I threw logic out the window a long tome ago when it comes to working on a Maserati.

Ivan

MK1044, Nembo1777 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  14. khamsin433

Jul 16, 2009
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Balbir
    Glad I could help.

Bal

15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    This Khamsin took part in the Küstentrophy in Germany in September 2020.

Although it is registered as a 1975 car in the participant list, I think it is a 1974 car, chassis #040.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    There is a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator underneath the lower coolant hose

71Satisfaction likes this.
  17. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Hi There, finally looks like I’m going to get round to restoring my car. I’ve been swaying between rolling restoration and full strip down. I’ve elected for the latter as I think there is so much lurking under the black paint I’d end up there anyway. Before I jump in I have a couple of questions. Has anyone go a recommendation for media blasters in middle England?

Second question is glass removal. Has anyone here tackled this? Tips and techniques welcomed as ideally I don’t want to break them!!!!

Cheers

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi There.

I know it isn’t in ‘middle England’ but Mitchell Motors in Chicklade nr Salisbury currently have my Ghibli. And I am extremely pleased with them. You will want someone to spray an epoxy coat straight after the media because the clean steel is so reactive it will flash rust otherwise. So that is worth bearing in mind.
    Have a look at Mitchellmotors.co.uk and you get an idea of the calibre of their work.

Best regards and PM me if you would like any more details.

Cheers all.

Mark.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Thanks, there work looks exceptionally good. It’s a little further than I’d planned but I will ask them for a quote.

20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Saw this old (2011) post about #1288 (black, red leather, for sale in 1991 in France (Jean Guikas)).
    Could this be the car (found by Roger) in the photos in Zofingen 2010 (see below)?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC

I saw once a transportation bid for a Khamsin, I thought it could match the car sold in Marseille. The link is no longer active but it said:

Maserati khamsin Vehicles > Antique Vehicles Listing Information
    Shipment Title: Maserati khamsin
    Shipment ID: 159314281
    Customer: Franck V.
    Date Listed: 07-04-2016 02:27:00 CST
    Date Updated: 08-04-2016 02:26:48 CST
    Budget: Place Bid
    # of Bids: 5 (0 Active)
    Origin Fos-sur-Mer, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur 13270, France
    Port Pickup: On 12/05/2016
    Route Common Route
    Truck Miles Est. Distance: 702 km | 8 hours, 2 minutes
    Destination Troyes, Alsace-Champagne-Ardenne-Lorraine 10000, France
    Residence Delivery: On 13/05/2016

But maybe it is much simpler if I try to contact the owner of the swiss car, if that is possible...

Regards Roger

22. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    1 cm and 1.6 cm differences for the oil markings, I am surprised of these rather big differences.
    Doesn't that translate to a substantial difference on the volume of oil in the engine?
    Or maybe with the dry sump, that makes a negligible difference?

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi AMLC, Roger,

I think we concluded that is a US car since it has zero sidelights, hence a US car that got the big rectangular US indicators cancelled but no front Euro indicators installed yet.

Fos Sur Mer is one of the industrial shipping harbors of Marseille hence the car/a car could have arrived from the US by container there. other than that it is anybody's guess.
    One weird thing is I recognize the man closest to the driver's door, from my time in Florida I think, someone connected with the car trade but not Swiss I don't think...other than that...
    So yes if you have a way to get in touch that would be great Roger, wishing you luck, people are a bit distracted and not too responsive this year.

24. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes Roger I agree, it would be great if you could contact the owner of the black car.

There is another car that I can't identify, see photos below, they are from http://www.gs-autosattlerei.ch/index.php/portfolio/maserati (there are eight photos in the last "Maserati" section, I think seven are of the Khamsin)
    Appears to be a dark blue car, manual, with first series seats but three instead of two rectangular warning lights on the dash. Maybe three lights because it is a Swiss car? Or because it is one of the last cars with first series seats (so chassis somewhere around #220-240?)?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login