Maserati Khamsin | Page 352 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
  2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    #8777 Froggie, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Very interesting.
    Could you elaborate on the construction process?

As I see your wheels, they seem to have two structural pieces (a back barrel including the center, and maybe a front lip) plus a kind of cover that is fixed on the center on the front part). So more a kind of so-called 2 pc. wheel plus a decorative cover, more than a true 3 pc. wheel like the BBS-RS wheels.
    Also what was the fabrication process for the pieces: center/barrel from existing wheel, front cover CAD designed and machined from an aluminum disk? front lip from existing wheel?
    And did you keep the original studs to attach the wheels?
    Would also appreciate to see other pics of the wheels on the car...

Finally, your comment on the driving is most interesting because Primacy's are not renowned to be spoty tires.
    They are kind of grand tourer tires with not that stiff sidewalls.
    Still they seem to provide a much improved handling compared to the XWX...
    Also no harsh behavior due to reduced sidewall of the tires?

MK1044 likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Impressive work Achim, just like your restoration of course. Do you plan to make such wheels available to others and if so at what cost? Small world, I was just with Thomas last saturday, see my recent post with his red K.

010 likes this.
  4. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
  5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

Very original car, interesting thing I noticed is that the control for the passenger side mirror was added to the center console next to the window switch

010 likes this.
  6. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Like on eBay bidding will accelerate like mad in the final seconds.

MK1044 likes this.
  8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Goes to Europe no doubt. They're gorgeous to look at but that steering is not popular here. Brakes not so much either. But so many modern cars here now have electronic brake force distribution and are touchy as hell that I think the brakes aren't the issue they once were. Besides it's not a high performance sports vehicle it's a grand tourer.

LHM is a god send compared to brake fluid for vintage cars. Alfieri went way too far what with headlight, seat and pedal rams. For me and I'm only 6'1" the pedals are all the ways back anyway and still not enough room. Being of Nordic heritage is not an advantage with a lot of older Italian cars. I haven't driven the Khamsin enough to remember but I imagine it's same as the Ghibli of Wilt Chamberlain fame, ditto The Indy and my Espada is also quite commodious, no not the toilet. ;)

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If I can snag it at $35K a good buy? :p

MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've always found XWXs to be quite spotty when it can to performance. :p ;)

11. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    WHY?
    235/60 15 Michelin P600s I just put on are perfect!
    Why go through all this for Michelin Primacy 4: 225-55 / 17s?
    If you just need a harsher ride there are much easier etc. alternatives.

12. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    "Pirelli" P600s are far from being great tires though ;)

13. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Apologies re Pirelli---
    Obviously too many bottles of Rhone!
    BTW---what do you dislike about the P600?
    Thanks .

14. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Not the best handling and rather expensive for a "modern" tire.
    Not a "classic" tire either.
    And they become noisy when they wear.
    But I agree that there is no real choice in 15"...
    Today 16" and 17" are better for performance tires (not high performance!) but require alternative wheels. But that is a never ending debate ;)

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    PS---Comments only valid on dry!

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Is anyone going to track a Khamsin, Bora, Ghibli etc. Today? No they’re not.

Is anyone going to be doing top speed runs? No they’re not.

Is anyone going to be sliding them through a corner? Maybe, but probably not.

Today the owners of these Vintage cars primarily do Tours with Spirited Driving where an absolute all out performance tire isn’t needed. About 15 years ago I was having this discussion with the Pirelli Rep. one thing he said to me was that No One builds a tire like the XWX that it was a genuine 200Mph tire.

put on XWXs that is the proper tire for the cars.

MK1044 likes this.
  17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    +1

Ivan

wbaeumer likes this.
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Terribly expensive, ride like crap and just an all around awful tire IMHO. Great for high speed straight runs though. I remember vividly when I switched to Michelin XGTs and Gatorbacks it transformed the car and not just for 10/10ths extreme driving.
    I wish Pirelli P6000s were still available. In a 225/65-ZR15 it was a decent compromise.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I had no problems with the XWX on my Khamsin (in 1997-99) and in my LP400 Countach (1999-2001) despite that they became a little "soapy" in the wet.
    I drove both cars on the race track (Balocco, Imola, Goodwood, Nürburgring) and never had a serious problem related to the XWX. But I assume that there might be better alternatives now available....
    But the visual aspect of these better tires could be another cup of coffee.....

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That Joe is the American view.

In Europe there are still track days at Maserati events and trust me I know a number of owners who drive their cars very spiritedly. Don't forget that the car cultures are massively different in the old and new worlds; in the USA you have massive police presence, ten times more than we do. So unlike us you don't get so easily to a great back road with practically zero traffic. Also in Europe there is a clear understanding in the public and police about the difference between a gentleman going quickly but respecting others and a dangerous criminal chased by a police helicopter at night on one of those horrible police TV shows. In the US you either drive like grandma or you are a felon that people want to report. So the culture of driving fast does not exist anywhere near as much consequently the focus has long ago turned to concours and people barely if ever driving their cars. That also has the perverse effect that a lot of US owners never get to experience the potential of their cars and some are intimidated by it and therefore driven even less. That is sad...
    I intend to do a filmed top speed run with GPS with a Khamsin on the Autobahn I know a couple of owners who will probably be willing. I was offered just 10 days ago to drive a Khamsin on track during the Maserati famiglia day in Beaune etc etc.

Oh and what the Pirelli rep said just shows what a lousy company they are as they show constantly in F1 at the moment. Michelin is just so much more competent as professional racing drivers have told me numerous times.

MK1044, wbaeumer and boralogist like this.
  21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The first photo below is probably #214 in the warehouse of Adam Carolla in Glendale (LA County) in 2015. The other two photos are of the same warehouse with some of Carolla’s Lamborghinis and a Nissan racing car.

It was not easy to find because I hardly know him let alone his warehouse, Americans will probably be more familiar with him and his shows. Here are more photos of his collection in 2016: https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-la-drives-adam-carolla-pictures-photogallery.html

I don’t know if he owned #214 or if it was used for a show, so I made this post a reply to a post from 67alloy from 2015 because he appeared to know more about (the owner of) #214, so maybe he will react and tell us more.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B and wbaeumer like this.
  22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There were far better alternatives back when you were using them. A set of 245R and 235 front XGTs really do transform the responses and handling of a Bora. I can't speak for the Khamsin. I don't even know if they would fit. My experience with the XWXs was that they would give little warning as to when they were going to lose traction and it was all at once. Nasty.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

Mark,
    I ran track events for over 20 years (Le Belle Macchine at Pocono & Daytona). If one is inclined you could find a find track days 2 to 3 times a week. The serious track people in the Italian car world purchased retired Ferrari Challenge cars or like Staats a Ghibli Open cup car. The spirited driving Maserati crowd will pick up a 4200, very few people will subject their vintage cars to aggressive track driving, it just hammers the car to much, even those that are properly maintained, they’re still 50 year old cars.

If you want a track car, the buy is an Alfa 4C.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well you don't do hours and hours flat out at ten tenths in a classic of course, a few laps, pause, let it cool down and back again. You can go very quickly with smoothness and without killing the car. Here in Burgundy it is paradise tons of B and C twisty roads and I drive my humble current Giulietta fast all the time outside of villages when there is full visibility no one is around but very smooth and never screech the tires, only slide in the wet; I don't want to buy a new set every month:) Tomorrow I drive 830kms, 500+ miles to the Padova show and when driving the Simplon pass in the mountains between Switzerland and Italy I will have my fun:)

25. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Does anybody really need three Miuras?