Maserati Khamsin | Page 351 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC

I thought, I had seen these before, thanks, that explains.
    No the car was for sale in the UK in 2002, not in the Netherlands, the area code belongs to Brighton.

2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Ok I see, the part with koutauto.nl is another advert

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Modulo_B likes this.
  4. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
  5. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Why the engine swap? Also, didn't they have to migrate the dry sump system over to the Q3 engine? Or does the wet sump fit in the Khamsin? And they didn't bother to swap out the cam covers ? ? ?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8756 Nembo1777, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    It is sad to see that car, AM120-392 which is the very one on the cover of my 2013 book not sell but people are wrongly frightened of high mileage. There are a couple of other cars that have exceeded 160000kms and purr contentedly the Maserati V8 is amazingly resilient and the ZF box is soo well made and sturdy there are few issues. I would rather have a car that is driven a lot and regularly than a garage queen that will throw a fit when it gets driven all too rarely. Fritz Harms the former president of the Dutch Maserati club who owned that Khamsin for many years use to leave it with OfficinaTralli outside Modena for the winter service. That May 2011 day we drove in it from Eindhoven Holland to Brussels for the photoshoot with the Neptune statue and Fritz was often at 220kph on the motorway. Then we had heavy traffic driving into Brussels, it did not miss a beat. I test drove it in Holland in December 2016 for a client and it was fine apart from worn suspension bushings. These are some of my photos from that day. The person who bought it from Fritz then advertised it at too high a price. Not sure if it is the same owner now. It has the roller blind to hide trunk contents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Carmine,
    According to Kim its owner 106 was originally:

Silver Auteuil Metalizzato (SALCHI paint code 106E1) Interior- Senape Connolly leather(VM3100).

8-What do you know of the car's history from new to today?

I only know that it has been owned in Saudi Arabia for it's whole life (presumably) up until 1998, when it came to the UK. It was completely stripped and rebuilt during the '90s. It has had many new parts fitted. It's so perfect underneath that it is difficult to tell which parts are new and which refurbished. However, it is clear the complete exhaust system was fitted new, new clutch slave, many new suspension parts etc. The entire interior is new, except the headlining. Some of the work appears to have been carried out by Micars in Modena to whom some parts were supplied and some parts were supplied to Sheikh Samir A. Kaki's AL Ajda Automotive dealership in Jeddah. There is also a reference to "Arsenio Buyco" scribbled in pencil in the glove compartment! Any further information re any of the above people / organisations would be gratefully received! I bought the car in 2003 unfinished and with a number of parts missing, which I have now obtained- except a spare wheel!

9-Where was it sold new? Alsaud universal in Jeddah.

End of quote.

Well if the engine is not there it is because it must have been destroyed long ago in KSA and either no K engine could be sourced or the cheaper QPIII engine option was chosen due to budget constraints at the time (well before Kim bought it).
    As to the QPIII engine installation I don't have details but will get them from Kim eventually.
    I briefly met him at the 2009 Goodwood MIR event, 106 was one of the seven K's we lined up for photos, here far left with 392 far right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Khamsin #392 is registered in the Netherlands as a 1983 car, first registration in the Netherlands April 11, 2000, and owned by the current owner since Dec 11, 2013.
    The price at Interclassics Maastricht in January 2016 is on the photo below. I think the asking price is now substantially lower.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Expensive indeed!
    Even if fully original and well maintained, I think there was zero chance to sell the car at such a high price, even in 2016 which was the period of the highest prices.
    The valuation estimate by Hagerty of a "concours condition" Khamsin in 2016 was 210 k$ (in the US, of course) and I doubt that prices were above 210k in Euro terms in the EU at that time.
    (plus the high mileage that may have frightened a number of buyers...)

10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #392 was a stunning car when Fritz Harms had it. He drove it with much verve during the 1st Swedish International meeting on the small race circuit in pouring rain....and crashed it on its rear!

MK1044 likes this.
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have #106 owned by Matt Criste of San Mateo, CA, USA in 1987.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Did not know that story, though another Dutch ex Khamsin owner told me Fritz's Khamsin lost a wheel once.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks, surprising that makes it one of a handful of European K's privately imported in the US....quite a life since it has now lived on three continents but there are others who have moved around a lot.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The high watermark of actual sales was in June 2015 in Artcurial's Champs Elysees sale when 116 sold for Euro 274000: photos. It was a mostly original car though it had been repainted -over the old paint-once. The fact that it was the peak of the market and a one owner car pushed the bids to that record. It had been sold new by Thepenier to Jean Marie di Galate from Beaucaire (my very first Registry entry in the 1990's:)!). One owner car apart from the garage that bought it from him and serviced it for the sale . Yes not a particularly nice car as you can see with the awful orange carpet and engine bay that will give concours types hot flashes:)

Other examples of high prices: 1142 the T top car sold for 206000 all in at the Bonhams Grand Palais auction that February, that one I had entered in the auction for its owner and I wrote the catalog text.

At Artcurial Retromobile 2016 1242 (my ex car I was not involved) was bid to 210K (genuine bids) but the owner wanted 240K and did not let it go when in fact he should have as the market was sliding.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

Froggie likes this.
  15. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Initial reaction:eek::eek::eek: but you could also say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Perhaps there is a TVR Tasmin under that?

I fail to see what it has to do with Lapponia (northern Sweden's polar circle region)...

17. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    The photo below is in 2018 on the Market Place in Ramsey on the Isle of Man.

I think this could be #349.

Information from the GOV UK site about the (former) UK registration of #349 showed that it was exported but if you bring a car from the UK to the Isle of Man that is apparently an export.
    Because (from the official Isle of Man government website): “The Isle of Man is not, and never has been, part of the United Kingdom, nor is it part of the European Union. It is not represented at Westminster or in Brussels.The Island is a self-governing British Crown Dependency - as are Jersey and Guernsey in the Channel Islands - with its own parliament, government and laws.”.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It looks like a visual match for 349...

FYI when I sold QPII AM123-004 from the Isle of Man to France I spoke at length to the French consul there as well as to authorities to avoid any belated tax cold showers. There was no import duty in France thanks to an agreement between the IOM and the EU.

In other news the price of the very recently sold AM120-244 at Gallery Aaldering was 150K Euro. The car will now be repainted in Luci del Bosco by its new Dutch owner. I supplied the paint code to Aaldering this morning. Not the original blue but a damn sight better than fire engine "Farroree red". Not only do K's just not look good in that color but it is a subtle car with a lot more to it than people at first realize so the crudely aggressive color which red is, almost a caricature for macho sportscars in Joe public's mind does it the same disservice as serving Chateau Petrus in a plastic cup with a twirling multi colored straw.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    But speaking of red to each his own, Saturday at the excellent Maserati Famiglia day at Chateau de Santenay near Beaune and on the Beaune airfield amidst 100 current Maseratis, about seven classics and the first French showing of the MC20 (off topic here) there was a Khamsin. It was AM120US1144 owned by a super enthusiast German who lives in Paris and is a director of the French Maserati club.
    He took me for a ride on the improvised circuit on the airfield and kindly offered me to drive though I had pain in a leg so I declined. He implemented some interesting tidying up in his engine bay (photos). The engine was moving around a bit more than is typical at idle when you looked at it and there was an occasional noise so I suggested he check his engine mounts which he will do. He drove 1200 kms trouble free last weekend. If anyone has a theory I will pass it on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8770 AMLC, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Yes that must be #349, still looks good!

About red: a shiny red quality paint on a Khamsin can look very good I think, see for instance the photos below (of #389 in 2018 and #1298 in 2012).I don’t see that as “crudely aggressive”.
    Of course not everyone will think of this as the best colour for a Khamsin (I for example prefer celeste), but these are in my opinion beautiful cars. I think it is also a matter of which shade of red we’re talking about, I do not like it when there is more orange in the red but these cars don’t have that.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger

23. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello AMLC

sorry, just made a mess with copy/paste:
    I am pretty positive that 288 was not repainted in recent years. I looked at other cars that could match, and I think
    it is 382, that came from France (in Argento) and was restored after 2013 and before 2017, repainted Blu sera and sold in Germany,
    as posted here by Walter Bäumer.
    Also it has holes for just one side mirror, so that matches as well.

Regards, Roger

24. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello Roger, if #288 was not repainted in recent years than the car at Carblast must be another one.

Maybe indeed #382, although I thought that #382 was restored by Peschl in Köln. Would they go to Stuttgart for the repaint? Or was the repaint not done/ordered by them?

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    It is most likely #382. Yes, the car was restored by Peschl in Cologne, Germany. But the cosmetical resto was not that good and was complained by its owner last year. Detailing of the car was rather dissapointing. Everything was corrected (despite the not very good paint jop) and I was able -in collaboration with a dealer-friend- to sell the car to a new owner about 2 months ago.

Nembo1777 and rga like this.