Maserati Khamsin | Page 326 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Joe, is this Blake's Khamsin? I saw Redline Restoraations ... but I don't remember what color his is/was except that it's an automatic.
    When I lived in SF I spent Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time at the west coast Maserati distributor's dealership on Van Ness, BMC. Biturbo ownership will do that to a man ... :p ;) during one visit I got to talking about a Khamsin they had upstairs in their service department. It was getting some modifications including a 4spd Mercedes automatic conversion which was the latest thing back then. I met the owner later at a local Maserati club event and he raved about the changed. I think they also changed gear ration for the diff to improve the top end.

3. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    She leans a bit ... :p So does the Bora!

4. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Hi Marc---

Need your professional help on this issue.
    Please PM your phone number so that I can call you.

Thanks.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Done.

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    yes that’s Blake’s Khamsin.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thought so ... I remember the mirrors.

8. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Fascinating video! My Khamsin was built in 1974 and serviced at the factory in 1975.
    It looks like the wipers of the marrone (luci del bosco?) Khamsin are not the same as on the later production cars, but also not the same as on the "Fittipaldi car".
    Is the registration of the marrone car MO 320072? Does this mean that it is an earlier car than the "Fittipaldi car" which has MO 327913?

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Glad you liked it:) Well as discussed previously there was no logic other than whatever is on the shelf, whatever has been supplied. parallel wipers or crossed wipers. There are patterns but no hard rules with Euro cars for headrests, wipers, added vents in the nose...only US cars are one frozen spec (with softer suspension, shorter diff ratio, engine tuned for torque not peak power). The number plates were most likely in permanent use by the test department, they would just slap them on a car. Most often they used a hanging type that they could just slam the trunk/rear lid over. When I drove new Ferraris in the US for articles in the 90's/early 2000's they always had a manufacturer plate (it helped once in Vermont or New Hampshire but that's off topic:D). Same with any factory, they have a number of plates at disposal and a log of which car had which plate what day for insurance reasons. Therefore you can't read too much in those plates. Only when a photo shows a car with a client's plate mounted can people like Adolfo Orsi junior go through the govt bureaucracy files to find info.

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Looking at the photos of the white Khamsin which I like, the one thing that really sticks out to me about the Euro bumpers that I never liked is that all bumpers are painted silver with black instead of body color with black.

just think it doesn’t work well on the white, even worse on earth tone colors . Luckily #1226 is silver so it looks great.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes but your idea can backfire, here is 1238 in Germany which when it got its bumper conversion got...red bumpers... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 and 33guana like this.
  13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for posting that is AM120-114, in Japan obviously.

Interesting mirrors and air filters on the carbs. I had a very nice Japanese lady who lives in Milan and works in the car industry trace the various K's that survive in Japan for me a few years ago as reported here then. She did great but Japanese are very private so you only get so much info. Anyway 31 cars were sold in Japan, all of them LHD as they wanted cars like in Italy (imagine the hassle at the toll booth every time if alone) 21 of these were automatic so this is one of the ten 5 speeds. Quite a few were scrapped alas.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana likes this.
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They even painted the drainage grate red! Now that's going a bit too far ...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Cheers from Champagne:

16. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Only you would notice the red drainage grate :)

Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Marius from Norway in AM120-0008, the oldest production example driving back home to Oslo after KHAMSIN QUARANTA in July 2012, 2000km each way to and from Beaune with detour to Le Mans Classic in convoy with me, so well over 4000kms, he got the best distance award. I stored the car for him for a couple of weeks and got to enjoy it (reasonably) in the meantime:) Here some photos on the not so well maintained grounds of a friends' castle here in Burgundy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana, gopp and 71Satisfaction like this.
  18. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi Series One...
    Did you ever change the gates drive belts? Do you have any pointers or tips for changing the LHM pump, water pump and alternator?
    Cheers,
    Richard

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FIFY ... I'm pretty sure everyone noticed the red grates ... that's why they're red. ;)

20. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    So you found that video :)

That was a fun trip. In the passenger seat was my good friend René, previous owner of the first Khamsin delivered to US (#US1000). The car is still in Norway.
    We had some great days together with Marc at Le Mans Classic as part of our trip home to Norway, and also met a Danish Khamsin friend that offered us to stay over for the last night before we got home.

For us Khamsin Quaranta was two trips, first the one I did with my wife down to Beaune and then the trip home a few weeks later with René. Both great, and despite a few minor things, the car behaved flawlessly like a Maserati should.

Now the car has been slowly restored cosmetically, new paint from bare metal and repaired and replaced interior where needed. This summer it will be back on the road, and when I watch this video I'm eager to do some long distance travel. Probably that must be in Norway, but that's not a bad place to be driving :)

Best regards
    Marius

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes stunning roads, here a couple of photos courtesy of Rene and or Marius of 1000 a few years ago highhhhhh above a Fjord and by a lake. I have been within 100 meters of Norway when skiing in central Sweden long ago but look forward to my first visit eventually:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. gopp

gopp Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Marius Sorteberg
    The first picture here is taken just above Geiranger, a famous fjord on the west coast of Norway. I borrowed #1000 from René for that weekend trip, and I think I drove his car more that summer than he did :)

I'll dig into my archive and find some other Khamsin photos.

Best regards
    Marius

71Satisfaction likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Tack saa mycket we look forward to seeing them. Just looked that is an actual cruise ship behind the Khamsin in the first photo, gives an idea of the sheer size...