Maserati Granturismo from the US to Europe - any tech issues? | FerrariChat

Maserati Granturismo from the US to Europe - any tech issues?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by PMJ-07, Jan 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMJ-07

PMJ-07 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Asker, Norway
    Full Name:
    Per Morten
    I am considering importing a 2012 GT MC from the US to Europe. I know from other cars that there might be some issues with the US radio frequencies and the GPS/Navi working over here. Is this a problem on these cars as well?

The GT is also one of the few cars I know with only the "miles/h" scale, not the second "km/h". The scale itself can however be replaced from what I've seen. The digital readout/display however is fixed, or can it be changed to km?
    Grateful for any feedback or advice on this and any other issues related to such "re-import"

2. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The TFT display between the gauges will read in miles or kilometers, depending on how you set it. As for changing the dial face on the speedo, I don't think that's easily doable--you'd be better off getting a secondhand cluster from a Euro spec GT and swapping it in and doing a proxi alignment procedure (dealer will have to do) to get it to 'marry' with the BCM.

As for the navi, you should be able to have the maps updated/changed to Europe and it should work fine. Not sure about the radio frequencies. HTH.

3. PMJ-07

PMJ-07 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Asker, Norway
    Full Name:
    Per Morten
    Thanks, sounds reasonable. I'll keep on looking for the right one...

4. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Peter
    Did you ever do the importing on a GrandTurismo? If so can you share your experience?

5. PMJ-07

PMJ-07 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Asker, Norway
    Full Name:
    Per Morten
    In approx 2 weeks I will hopefully have a white carbon-loaded 2013 GT Sport from Florida parked in my garage and start the process of making it european, if I find it worth while.
    Personnaly I don't care much, however if I ever decide to sell, it might be beneficial. Anyway, I will post any mods performed. Miles-km, F-C, maps, radio...can-t think of anything else, except most likely having to add some antifreeze asap!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Did this a few yrs ago (usa to france)...

Speedo had to be changed
    Maps will not work (wrong dvd region)
    Tailights have to be changed (yellow lens)
    Radio is no issue
    Tires may need to be changed
    If you have Sport exhaust they may request a standard exhaust due to noise reg.
    Km/miles units for trip computer digital display etc are just settings...so no issue
    Process involves multiple inspections and takes about a year to finish and get your carte gris...you will have a temp import permit which will allow you to use the car while the process plays out...

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. PMJ-07

PMJ-07 Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Asker, Norway
    Full Name:
    Per Morten
    Thanks for info.
    Did you change the whole speedo or only the scale?
    Does changing trip reading from miles to km also change main odometer?
    I guess European maps are available somewhere for this navi?

Regulations changed to the better a few years back here in Norway, to make it easier with US import. To put it short, if it is legally registered in the US - its legal here. No need to change or replace lights/yellow indicators etc anymore. My only concern is the tinted windows. The are quite dark, but said to be original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login