Maserati Bora - Picture Thread | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Maserati Bora - Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ron S, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #776 Nembo1777, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020

Hello Greg,

Congratulations again on your great and very worthy effort to restore your Bora to the highest standards.

If we do the event it will, for several reasons, be in mid to late June 2021.

March the anniversary of the Bora presentation is too soon, classic cars in Europe are still hibernating as it is still winter even if obviously there is less snow and salt on the roads now than 20 years ago. June is perfect, better than September, because it is late spring early summer, people are full of energy and desire to go out d things, that month has the longest days and is bullet proof weather wise, except for the occasional short Thunderstorm. September is good and used for many events but it is after summer and many are already winding down, worn out.

July August? Absolute no go for such events. That is when the bulk of Europe's population is on the roads, rushing like lemmings to the south of France, Spain Italy and traffic is monstrous, Italy for example is gridlocked and the main autoroutes/Autostradas/Motorways/Autobahns have gridlock. Paris for example is empty of residents and filled with tourists in August as are other capitals and big cities. Additionally most people including Bora owners will have family plans for those months that take precedence over the event. So absolutely no go in July August.

Obviously we will give priority to Bora owners who come with their cars and bringing yours would be for you the trip of a lifetime, it may not be as costly as you think you just need to plan everything with military precision and well ahead. At K40 the longest distance traveled award went to a Khamsin that came (to Beaune Dijon where the event took place) from Norway 1900kms/1200 miles...I think you would be unbeatable for that award this time:) and your car would be a candidate for best of show, according to what people who have seen it have said of its quality (such as Ivan). Judging will be expected to be done by Maserati Classiche like at K40.

We understand that owners on other continents may wish to come but not be able to bring their cars and would accommodate them/you, there would be a choice of packages as there was at KHAMSIN QUARANTA: arriving Thursday or Friday, staying at the host hotel or at a more economical one nearby. we also encourage couples to come and create an event that is enjoyable for wives/girlfriends as well. That worked very well at K40 and those who had come without their better half all said next time I bring her because I know she would have enjoyed this as did the ladies who took part.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    As someone that has organized an event or two, may I make a suggestion. Do it in conjunction with the new Motor Valley Fest in Modena in May. The factory is involved in the event, and you’ll increase the participation from non European based owners.

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    The Factory delivery date of the first Bora may also be worth taking a look at.
    Maserati certainly played that up for the Indy last year.

4. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    BTW---
    Sometimes we get annoyed with people who make all sorts of ridiculous factual errors and misrepresentations about the Bora.
    We even debate certain issues among ourselves.

BUT---if MASERATI ---on Maserati.com---has no respect for its own creations---how the hell are we supposed to demand accuracy from others:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

1---We know from E. Cozza's actual records that 564 were NOT manufactured.
    2---We know from the Owners Manual, among other sources, that the power peak of the 4.7 engine is 6,000 RPM NOT 5,200.
    3---We know that adding 20 bhp to a car can NOT increase its top speed (w/same gearing) by 15 km/h WHEN said car is now 200 kgs heavier.

Simply embarrassing. Period.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just going to 4.9L made them 200 lbs heavier? I understand why the USA versions were heavier but what about a 4.9L European Bora?

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for the idea Joe, the location has not been chosen yet but associating with an another event always poses problems. Anyway no point discussing a hypothetical event, I will be back with more news when it comes.

Regarding the erroneous data I will see Fabio at Retromobile next week and bring it to his attention, Knowing how the Fiat group works whichever department put that in the website is totally separate from Maserati Classiche.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not sure stuff like this is all that important to the company now. The overly optimistic performance numbers were always up for debate.

8. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Was there such a huge weight increase from the 4.7 to the 4.9 or is it also a mistake?

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In the US I'm not sure very many federalized Boras with 4.7L ever made here during the original manufacturing time frame? I guess Maserati would have to answer that one.

But there have been several different USA versions with lighter bumpers and less emissions equipment but the last is probably the heaviest because of heavier gusseting in the changed rear frame as well as the very robust rubber bumpers. I can beleive 200 lbs because they also have much more extensive emissions equipment as well. Many removed the exhaust emissions equipment including an air pump on the various USA versions. I still have my rubber bumpers on the car but all the other extra equipment has been removed.

As for the ignition, carb and valve timing tuning. Plenty have gone to the European trim. When I went to change the cam timing it was already there and mine is the last car. Did they get lazy with mine, not actually do it on any of them or what? I don't know. I know that I did get that annoying vacuum retard on idle with the switch that QPIIIs and Khamsins sent here got as well.

I think you have to actually weight the cars.

I can't imagine that a 4.7 engine weights that much less if at all.

The drivers? Oh my gawd yes ... this USA Bob weighs plenty more than that European Bob who was last there in 1994. I blame it all on Italy too ... :p

10. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    AFAIK, there were NO FACTORY USA spec Boras with the 4.7 engine.
    There are, nonetheless, apparently around 10 Euro spec 4.7 Boras in the USA according to a conversation I had with Frank Mandarano.

One of those is my car, which I originally bought in Virginia decades ago.
    I remember the original owner telling me that it was imported by a 'case of Scotch'
    True story!

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that complete explains your being intoxicated with the car ... :p

boralogist likes this.
  12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    Just an FYI, Concours Italiana (now Concorso) began as just a gathering/meet of Maserati & Lamborghini owners for Monterey Weekend. It would be a gathering of Bora owners during Motor Valley Fest outside of a couple of dinners and maybe organized side trips to Florence, Venice or drives to Hombre etc. Let everyone enjoy the event. SpA would probably be more than happy have some type of display for Boras.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Joe,

Yes I do see your point, I really want to do a proper professionally organized event worthy of the Bora with a schedule over 3 days four nights (with a shorter option) and the priority is to gather as many Boras as possible. For KHAMSIN QUARANTA in 2012 we had 27 K's and for 2022 I am hoping out of 120+ cars in running condition AND actively used to get 50.

Right now I am doing a head count of potential participating Boras per country and will see various people about this including fabio next week in Paris at Retromobile.

Then we will look at itinerary, location. It could be France, Switzerland or Italy. It is important to not be too far from most owners bases. If we were to include a Modena visit I would prefer to start there as opposed to finish there for various reasons and then head either southwest to Tuscany or north the lake district, to get to hilly terrain and the great roads which are the indispensable element for a good touring rally.

For now I encourage any Euro Bora owners and any from other continents who would wish to bring their cars to watch this video of KHAMSIN QUARANTA: this is the idea, applied to the Bora (with Giugiaro, Bora Group 4, and Maserati Classiche -MM Cozza and Collian- as well as other factory oldtimers such as Cleto Grandi and Giancarlo Martinelli).

Place your cursor at 6.00 minutes it starts there (the beginning of the video is general Khamsin info and factory visit with interviews about it) and lasts 6 and a half minutes, a great video done by Rolf and his lady, enthusiastic owner of Khamsin 404.

gopp and 71Satisfaction like this.
  14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #789 71Satisfaction, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Thank you Marc!
    All plans for conversions to Euro-Spec have been halted!
    It would be an absolute pleasure to join you with Bora #932 in full and original US spec, giant bumpers and all.
    Cheers,
    - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..and we would be sure not to miss the '22 Khamsin Cinquanta event either, again retaining the original US spec, of course!
    Grazie ancora!
    - Art

Attached Files:

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Art, it is great to feel your enthusiasm and we will decide by April, whether we do this event yes or no but now I can make any unmotivated Bora owner in Europe feel guilty by telling him that at least one from the US is willing to come with his:)

And yes a couple of cars with US bumpers would be tolerated at BORA CINQUANTA in June 2021 (Cinquanta is simply Italian for fifty).

However very sorry but no US bumpers will be welcome at KHAMSIN CINQUANTA in June 2022: we already managed to avoid having any at KHAMSIN QUARANTA and since there are well over 100 K's in Europe in running order and 50 is the maximum we can cope with at these events I just don't want to see any US bumpered K's at the event.

That horrible design torture imposed by the US government bureaucracy just ruins the car -Gandini had never known about this and was horrified when he first saw what it looked like many years later-.

Furthermore most US K's have been converted and it takes only 36 hours to do.

Anyway thanks again for your enthusiasm:)!

boralogist and 71Satisfaction like this.
  17. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ma, certo. Parlo un po italiano. Inhabito Roma per sei mesi 1985.. Ciao!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Thank you for condemning the US bumpers, both the very early ones which were and are less objectionable and the later ones that were and are horrible. The true beauty of the Bora lies in preserving the original lines that it was designed with. I have a very late model Bora, #1000, and the first thing I did when I acquired it was to convert it to the external European configuration which required restoring the rear of the car to the correct appearance. The visual difference in the presentation of the Bora is night and day. If the G-ds are smiling, I will have my car back on the road this year and would seriously consider shipping it to Europe if that happens and if I can secure a place in the event.

boralogist and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Elliott,

Any US Bora (and others from outside Europe) would get priority in registering for the event because it shows wonderful commitment to the cause of furthering the appreciation of a very special car that was well ahead of its time and never got the credit it deserved. Having cars coming to Europe from other continents for these events can only inspire more European owners to get it together and actually take part.

For KHAMSIN QUARANTA the late Doug Magnon from Los Angeles considered bringing 1046, fly yellow but he had too much on his schedule that summer and the owner of the only one in Tehran, Iran, considered driving over in his (AM120-130) as there are actually good roads all the way to France but his mechanic could not get a Visa so that was that, he wasn't going to do that epic drive by himself.

Having lived in 8 countries and traveled extensively, guided people in Europe and the US, I/we will commit to helping any classic Maser owners from other continents with the logistics. Every year many Americans come to Europe with their vehicles it is not rocket science. In 1993 I had small Porsche 924 Turbo that I shipped from Fort Lauderdale Florida roll on roll off (which was ok for a cheap car like tha but not for a Bora or Khamsin which should be containerized) via Jacksonville to Antwerp Belgium, I had insurance arranged to drive in Europe, made a front tag in advance (mandatory) with a plastic panel stick on letters, laminated and had a great time driving to Spa, the Nurburgring, Le Mans, the Porsche factory, the Rosso Bianco museum etc etc, unforgettable. We can also help people plan their itinerary around Europe before or after the event and also provide secure professional classic car storage with valeting, trickle battery charges, airport or bullet train station pick up etc.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My oh my such bumper snobbery! ;)

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I now have a major incentive to be a slave driver and to push the various people working on the car to put maximum effort into their work. If all goes well, Marc (my son's name is spelled the same way as your), I will avail myself of your assistance. I've brought a car from Switzerland to the USA, via container and it arrived safe and sound. It's worth the expense to ship that way. Since the state that I will register the car in, Illinois, requires license plates front and rear, I am spared the stick on numbering, I think. Keep your fingers crossed that we can put the car together as it would be a wonderful experience for me and my wife to join the group of fellow Bora owners driving through Europe. Now I just need to find my whip!

boralogist likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Great Elliot, as the saying goes a racing team does in one night what some shops do in a year. As I learned in my racing years in the UK It is a simple but vital matter of coordination, making sure all possible delays are simultaneous as opposed to successive, solving the weak link delays and issues. That along with the right mindset with a clear unmissable deadline, aiming to be ready with a 3 months buffer -at least- to be able to have some leeway to sort out the car:)

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember vividly going down the last stretch getting my Bora ready for it's 1st Monterey appearance after the restoration. I was way behind all week and on the day I had to depart there it was sitting with it's rear at the leading edge of my garage almost out on the SF sidewalk which ran down into my garage that has a drain in it. Struggling feverishly to get that rear valance on over the exhaust. Then mounting one of those huge ugly rubber bumpers on the back along with the rubber sleeves over the support shocks. Then only those rear aluminum screens that only the last USA cars had were left and then it happened. The rain started ... so there I was, exhausted, frustrated and trying to get those silly screens in place with all those SS screws but now ... my body was acting like a dam and the water piled up, over and around as I'm trying to get this finished ...

I broke out laughing ... what kind of nuts we are sometimes.

The car was perfect, we took 2nd in the then super concours division. I lost to a fresh complete restoration Ghibli SS with a brand new paint job. My paint was original but very nice.

But I was 38 years old. No longer possible for me.

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Having just turned 78 back in December using a whip is my most effective means of persuasion. I still do some manual work but mostly my job is to be gofer and pay the bills!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  25. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The shipping quote via container was acceptable. The tentative plan is for #932 to arrive Port of Rotterdam the second week of June, 2021. I'll confirm once dates and itinerary are clarified.

An extra set of US bumpers will be made available for the Europeans who are envious of US safety regulations. You're welcome.

- Art

Nembo1777 likes this.