Maserati 3500 Sebring restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati 3500 Sebring restoration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by otaku, Aug 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #26 Bertocchi, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    #27 ljdamore, Mar 12, 2013
    Hello,

A number of posts had been made back in 2008 regarding the restoration of my Sebring # 101-01959. Well, needless to say, the work went on hold at the end of 2008, but I am now able to move ahead again. The goal is to bring what was at the time I purchased the car little more than a parts car to the condition of a good driving example of the marque.

I am attaching a few pictures. The pictures above show a car in very ugly primer. I am happy to say that after sandblasting, the car was very solid except for the bottom 2-3 inches.

The car is now at the body shop getting new floors and rockers and having new metal welded into the front/rear valences and other trouble spots.

The interior is being recovered in new leather and will receive new headliner and carpeting after the car leaves the body shop.

The fuel injection unit is in the Netherlands at Powerprops being reconditioned by Harm Klijn.

The engine is at Glynn motorsports in Rowley, MA for a complete rebuild. Paul Glynn is a very accomplished mechanic and very well regarded.

In that regard, I need to ask for some help with the engine specifications.

Can anyone refer me to a place where the sizes of the crankshaft main and rod journals are given? Are torque specs for the crank and head bolts available? I'd appreciate any help in getting this information so that we can proceed with the engine rebuild.

I have posted elsewhere on this site regarding the cylinder head work that is being done to resurface the combustion chambers and will try to post additional photos here as they become available.

Thanks in advance for any comments and information.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dr. K.

Dr. K. Karting

Mar 23, 2011
    #28 Dr. K., Mar 13, 2013
    Hello Lou,

many greetings from the parallel universum Germany (cylinderhead).

We never knew, that our Sebring AM101.01945 started this thread back in 2008.

The car was bought in Boise Idaho from Doug, a very friendly and honest carnut.

We almost had the same problems, but the car is now in its first paint.

Bodywise it was a real horror, but these cars need to be saved.

Any technical information you can find on Ivans website.

Sometimes you can find on ebay a copy of the Maserati workshop manual.

Best regards
    Hans

4. Peconga

Peconga Rookie

Jan 11, 2006
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #29 Peconga, Mar 13, 2013
    Here are some earlier pictures of Sebring 101.01945. The first one is outside my shop in Boise, Idaho, and the second one is of the car being loaded for transport to Germany in April, 2009. In this picture you can't see that the trunk and interior were filled to the brim with parts that we all hoped would make the long trip without disappearing. Also not visible is the corrosion in the front floorboards and along the lower part of the body. Lots of work required, but every restoration project has to start somewhere. The third photo is one that Hans sent me in March 2011 during restoration, which shows the amount of love and attention the car has been receiving to bring it back to life. The original color combination was black (nero) with red interior, so it is nice to see that it will be that way once again.

Ciao!
    Doug in Boise, Idaho USA
    www.peconga.com
    www.registromaserati.com
    1963 Sebring 101.01945 (former)
    1960 Vignale Spider 101.1043 (former)

5. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    The main bearing specs depend on which engine you have THey are eithe 76.175mm or 65mm. THe rod journals are 57.115mm The bore was 86mm for the 3500 and the 3700 engines. Torque for the engine is 98 ftlbs for head bolts, 48 ftlbs for the rod bolts, large main bearing bolts are 75ftlbs, small side studs are 22 ftlbs, cam tower are also 22 ftlbs, .
    For the engine specs, Maserati slective fit the bearings. Any good engine shop should know the correct clearances for the bearings. I use .0015-.002 clearance for both the mains and the rods. If you plan to use the Lucas fuel injection, I have been very successful using Total seal rings. These keep the vaccum constant as the engine wears and the fuel injection will maintain calibration.

6. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    #31 ljdamore, Mar 18, 2013

Thanks for sending the pictures Hans. I could never have a black car because I have a long dirt driveway...but it will be sharp especially with the red interior.

I am attaching a couple more pictures of the body in primer before the body work started. Not too bad for a 50 year old car that spent many years languishing and uncared for. I agree, it is a priveledge to be saving one of these cars.

Best Regards,
    Lou

7. ljdamore

ljdamore Rookie

Sep 12, 2008
    Wilton, NH
    #32 ljdamore, Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for the reply with the information, especially regarding the rings.

For those others in my position, I realized that the Maserati Club (MIE) should be able to provide information and indeed, they sent me a sheet with various engine specifications including torque values.

Here are a couple more pictures from the engine tear down. The oil pick-up was pretty scary looking. I estimate that the engine last ran some time prior to 1981. A previous owner had fitted an all copper head gasket. I don't know what it was that put the car down.

Best,

Lou D'Amore

8. GarryMac

GarryMac Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Garry
    Hello, I know this thread is 12years or more old however I am interested to contact any of the parties that were involved with the fabrication of the floor pans for this Sebring and any other panels for that matter as I am about to start on my own restoration of a 64 model.
    Please get in touch as it would be great talking to someone that has gone through this process before.

9. GT ROCK

GT ROCK Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keith
  10. GarryMac

GarryMac Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Garry
    Hello Keith,
    Garry here from Australia.
    I know this thread is 3 years old.... but your car caught my attention!!
    I am heading down this same route Keith, having finally received my car after having a number of setbacks over the last few years, Covid being the main one along with shipping!
    Keith I noticed that you look like you have replaced the sill on the left hand side, so chances are you have replaced the left hand sills as well and the floor HAHAHAHA!!!!
    It also looks like you have replaced the lower vents in the front fender (they do look nice with NO rust in them)???
    My question to you Keith is, can you purchase replacement sills and vent and lower vent panels for the car in the UK? This would be great news for me if you could!

Thank you for your time Keith, if you get this message? and I look forward to your reply.
    Regards
    Garry

11. GT ROCK

GT ROCK Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hello Garry,
    Congratulations on your purchase, good luck and enjoy the restoration process, I dont know of any repair sections being available but it would be a simple job for a fabricator to fold up some new sills, I cut out a section as a sample and fitted them without difficulty.
    I have now driven the car 500 miles but still have to fit the fuel injection

Regards,
    Keith

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot and redfred84 like this.
  12. GarryMac

GarryMac Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Garry
    Hello Keith, Your car looks fabulous !!!
    I have a long way to go! Thank you for getting back to me I did start thread on my Sebring under Maserati Sebring 'Beginnings' so have been trying to get some info there? Keith just wondering although it has been sometime now but in your reply you mentioned that you had cut sample section pieces from your car, would you possibly still have them, as I would like to purchase them from you? this is a big problem I have with mine is that there is not much - literall - left of the inside sills, so I do not know what to copy. Also did you have your lower vent areas replaced?. They look very good. After looking at mine now for the last couple of months I have come to the conclusion that mine had started a resto but was then left, hence a lot of pieces are missing and cut and removed also it could have been some sort of parts car for another?
    Are you going to put the injection system back on, as the WEBERS look pretty good dont they! Can you hear them in the car working?