Maserati 151 with 427 Ford | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati 151 with 427 Ford

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bitzman, May 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Walter,
    Just curious: why do you sign off with "ciao" rather than "auf wiedersehen"? I thought you were German.
    Are you actually from Tyrolia or around there? Or do you like Maserati so much that you just want as much as possible of it in your life?
    Carmine

PS: I am happy to see that you are enjoying this Italian-bodied Ford thread so much. ;)

2. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    as one of the first Kamm tail executions and one of the first sports cars to touch 200mph, designed by a leading house such as Drogo, sculpted by Allegretti, I would be extremely surprised if this influenced no-one as you suggest!

In the Bollee Oosthoek book it quotes Pete Brock who designed the cobra coupe declared that the 151/3 was his all time favourite coupe

Given these pioneering, 'try it and see', times in respect of aerodynamics I can't agree with you that these cars would have had no influence.

Interestingly the 450S was quicker than the costin bodied version! pre Kamm execution

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The Kamm tail was not a detail Maserati used first.

BMW had it with one of their MM-cars in 1940 and there are some cars which had it also but earlier.

So the 151 had no influence at all in the automotive history. That someone was inspired by that on the 151 is probably based on the fact that he did not know the earlier BMW (or the other cars).
    But this is a personal aspect that can not be called as a general design-influence.

4. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    I do understand the execution on the BMW

I just don't share your view that the design and experience, body and mechanicals didn't influence others in that era and have some impact on the industry - no-one could ignore one of the first sports cars through the 200 mph barrie

However, for me that is fine we are all just speculating in this regard and we hold different opinions

when I drive the car I will let you know how stable it is at speed in the various guises of rear end

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Hope that one day somebody has the good idea and the $$$ to restore the Zagato coupé to his Le Mans configuration.

6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    There is no doubt that the current owner of the Costin Coupe has the financial resources to return the car to its Le Mans configuration, the bigger question is should it be done?

While all things being equal the Le Mans configuration would be preferable, if it were to be done very little of the current car would be left, the body and chassis would have to be shortened. The car as it is today is the configuration of how it last left the factory.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Its original. To change it to LM-specs would destroy the original but modified specs.
    For sure it would more valuable in the LM-version.

8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Any similar pictures to compare the LM and later version? I was madly in love with the car when it was owned by Harry Woodnorth.....

9. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #59 3500 GT, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The car was another failure
    in the long history of Maserati.
    It was too hot inside the drivers compartment with gas fumes. Moss went dizzy when he drove it in LM `57 and had to retire.
    Also the original aerodynamic design of Frank Costin was changed by Zagato and so the open car was faster than the coupe.

11. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    not to try is never to fail!

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ....especially if you have no money for that.

13. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    fortunately lack of funding does not always suppress passion!...this was a pioneering company and the founders and subsequent talented engineers are due more respect than to be castigated for 'a long line of failures'

sorry Walter I know you are passionate about Maserati but I have a slightly different perspective, especially in the years to 1965

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    In the early 60s Maserati was in the position to expand the company for the increasing GT-production. The race department ("officially" closed since 1957/58) was tagen to the GT-production. Maserati had no money to develop their latest race cars due to the lack of cash.

Yes, the 151 was fast -when it was running- but it was a basked case of existing parts/components that quickly were taken together.

Yes, Maserati at that period had still the passion to go racing - but only ideas and passion doesn`t make a car reliable.

15. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    Thats racing - it is not only money - you need time and resources to test and develop

The 151 certainly does not appear to be a basket case of existing components - The motor was a development bed for the 5000GT engine and there are many unique elements. It is common place for some continuity and I would never describe the 450S as a basket case of existing parts and components although many were shared!

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The 450S was never a basked case.

But the 151-engine was more or less based on that concept and came with inj., carbs etc.! Too much attempts but without any constancy and under-financed. And everyone on this planet knows - you need cash to be successfull on the circuit. If not, not even an excellent driver can help.

17. Driverider

Driverider Rookie

Sep 29, 2008
    you make my point! the 151 was evolution

but also many companies have been successful with less cash than maserati had available !
    Maserati had cash - they evidently just couldn't manage a business combining racing and manufacture - that doesn't undermine

Ferrari found a formula for it which is well understood - by everyone on the planet!

18. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #68 3500 GT, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    johnei and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. JFB1

JFB1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Oups ! The Tipo 151-Ford destroyed by Marvin Panch was 151-006, not 151-004 which in fact is the surviving car today (it should be shown with race N°2!).
    151-006 was at Le Mans in June 62 with Kimberly -Thompson and race N°3 (DNF), then shipped to USA and at Bridgehampton with Augie Pabst with race N°61 in September 62(DNF), then at Riverside with Augie Pabst again with race N°61 in October 62 (7.OA). Then Alfred Momo during winter took out the Maserati V8 4000cc from 151-006 and replaced it by the Ford V8 7000cc. Then Marvin Panch with race N°21 took the car for pratice at Daytona in February '63, flipped and crashed the car: 151-006 was destroyed by fire and hopefully Panch was rescued. The Bollée-Oosthoek book was published in 2005, and since then 3 details seen on period photos helps to distinguish the 2 siter cars 151-004 from 151-006.

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    This is not accurate, the surviving car today is #006. I have personally examined the car and it has a Chassis stamp AM151 006. It probably was misidentified in early photos as being #004 instead of #006, which lead to the confusion.