Marshall Goldman | FerrariChat

Marshall Goldman

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by allang, Nov 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allang

allang Karting

May 31, 2005
    A very good friend of mine is looking at a '95 355 Spider that Marshall Goldman has in inventory. Being that we're located in NJ, I just want to get an idea of others experience dealing with them.

Thanks

2. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Talk to John Ashe. My dad has bought cars from him before and it has been a good experience.

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I have had a great experience dealing with them

4. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    ditto on John Ashe

5. Drmac

Drmac Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Canton OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy E McDaniel
    Dealt with them many times and had a great experience when I bought my ferrari from them ! 👍

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

yup Ive known John for years......class act

7. zeke_dog9

zeke_dog9 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Texas baby
    i also worked with John. Purchased my scud last year from them.
    no issues, car was as advertised.

8. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have bought several cars from Gene Hauck..great guy, very knowledgeable. First class place..

9. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    LOL. This dealer is a joke. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They shipped my $150K car with no battery and no lights. What dealer does that? When I asked Gene Hauck about those issues, he recommended I take it to a hole in the wall joint for repairs, a place that's never seen an exotic car and I am to pay for that???? Unreal.
    Marshall Goldman's shouldn't be in this business anymore. I thought with higher prices you would get top notch service. LOL.......

10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Based on my recent experience with them, calling them a joke is pretty charitable. After inspecting the car, agreeing on a price, transferring the full agreed amount to them and buying the car, they removed a few items from the car without my knowledge. They took the Ferrari flashlight, the Ferrari tire inflator, and the turn signals/flasher relay. Yes, someone extended his sticky hand under the hood release and yanked the relay out. The car had no turn signals when it arrived so I couldn’t really drive it in a safe manner.

After several weeks, over a dozen phone calls, emails, messages, a letter, and threats of reporting the items as stolen to the police, they finally sent me the flashlight and tire inflator. Earl Gibbs (very trustworthy man) who performed the PPI for me confirmed that the signals were operational when he inspected the car. This confirms that the relay was removed after his inspection and mine. For some reason Earl took it upon himself to send me a replacement relay. I guess he just felt sorry for my situation that was not his fault.

To me that’s not a joke, that’s basic theft plane and simple. I have dealt with a lot of new and used car dealers in many states, countries and continents. I'm certain that I have never had articles or parts stolen from any car by the selling dealer after I had purchased it.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wow. Interesting thread, especially the last two posts.

They certainly charge enough for their cars. I would expect the purchase experience to be much better than this.

Matt

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the should give out BJs with the prices they advertise

13. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    Spoke with them a few years ago and did not get a good feeling, stay away....

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    My experience was January 2014 so it may be out of date.

I dealt with Joe Levak who was very responsive to calls and emails. I too used Earl to do a PPI on the car largely because of his reputation and that he had just performed a major on the car for Marshall Goldman. I flew to there from Virginia and they had one of their guys meet me at the airport and take me to the showroom. Of course there was snow everywhere which meant I was relying on what Earl provided and my own inspection of the car.

They had a great collection of cars and it was enjoyable to look at all of them.

My first concern is that they had zero history on the car other than a CarFax. I found that a bit odd but the Carfax showed two Dealer registrations so the loss of any documentation ( 12,000 miles on car) was not a show stopper plus I had Earl's report and a verbal conversation with him to address my questions. I shot pictures of everything that came with the car and went over their history of acquiring it (The Major including the invoice and compression #s, new battery, stone chip repair on front spoiler etc.). We finalized the price and worked out a transporter to bring the car to Virginia.

The car arrived in an enclosed two car transport and was off loaded without incident. Prior to leaving Marshall Goldman, Joe and I went over the car and noted all scratches and chips on the vehicle. I went over the entire vehicle again after it arrived to inventory all the items and note if anything was different. Everything was in order.

So, that is the purchase and delivery experience.

As you might expect, the ECU was reset with the battery change so I wasn't surprised when it didn't pull up any codes when I checked it at MG. However, it didn't take a lot of driving before the infamous cat codes started showing up (that said....I got through 3 years of emissions testing by resetting the codes and completing a drive cycle) and the ridiculous Slow Down lights that show up sporadically when the engine is cold.

Did I expect them to be forthcoming about the codes? Not really. This invaluable forum identified all the issues I expected to have when I bought the car. I looked for every one of them and have been very happy with the car.

From my experience.....I give MG a B+/A- for their effort. Again, my experience may be out of date.