Marriage without kids.... anyone want? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Marriage without kids.... anyone want?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SRT Mike, Oct 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dailuracer

Dailuracer Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    Central California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can figure that each kid will cost you between 500,000 and 750,000 by the
    time it's all over. Just think of the cars you can buy with that......?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a kid and I'm not getting married. The 2 Moms tried to get me to walk the aisle and I told both of them I'm a lot more scared of the divorce court Judge than either of them so she wins.

Only way I'll get married is if I'm terminal or 100 years old

3. Noelani

Noelani Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    R
    My ex kindly informed me that women are made to be mothers, but I think in my case there's just so much evidence pointing in another direction.

If I score one of those house husbands I would definitely be interested in purchasing some kids in fifteen years or so. I get excited for girls who are pregnant and everything, but I personally just don't want to assemble any people myself.

On a related note, ever been to a nursing home on a holiday? Yikes.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Really ? Interesting...

$500k is more than my family earned total in the first 18 years of my life. So I would have to disagree with those numbers.

So Ive corrected your statement for you below:

"You can figure that each spoiled brat will cost you between 500,000 and 750,000 by the
    time it's all over."

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #255 AlexO91, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Well it was worked out that in the UK a child cost £100,000 up to the age of 18.

6. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    We are in our 50's. We never wanted nor had kids nor dogs nor any other animals. Adding those in can only complicate things. We have enough responsibilities. We cannot even associate with people who have kids as their lives are 100% consumed by their offspring.

aehaas

7. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
  8. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I would rather cease to live than to have a child......you spend your money, and life raising them, and then they end up getting into God knows what draining you of even more money and energy. It all seems like one big headache to me. So does marriage for that matter.

9. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    the Earth is over populated!

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #260 Bas, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    I've never seen the point in getting married all that much....just a little piece of paper that tells you that you life together.

If I was with a girl who insisted on getting married, have her sign an awesome pre-nup where she gets zilch if it all fails...if she all of a sudden doesn't want to marry anymore you know enough!

Saying that, if I didn't have more than enough money it'd be a no go anyways.

As for marrying and not having kids, I see even less point in a marriage.

11. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Well, we've TRIED to associate with people who have kids but you're right - 100% of the time they're fidgeting about with their kids or talking about them. It gets annoying.

RMX

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've been with my GF for 16+yrs. No kids, no marriage. Just don't want to dedicate the time or have that responsibility.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My moms cousin just got married after he and his gf dated for 21 years.

You still have time, lol.

14. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I can't even count the number of people I've disassociated myself with because those people can't even talk about anything other than their offspring.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That is one of the hard parts about becoming a parent. It's far too easy to lose your ability to have "normal" conversations. I'd say it's easier for a dad to re-integrate with a group of single/childless guys than for a mom. But the two dominant things in your life are work and kids, and that's what you end up blabbering about, which is why we tend to seek out the company of other parents:) My parents are visiting, and last week I picked up my wife from work and kidnapped her. We went to a bar and had margaritas like the old days (it's been a long time), and we actually talked about other things than work/kids/family and enjoyed ourselves. It felt great, but as soon as we got home, it turned back to the same old stuff.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The sad thing is that you never really know what your spouse is going to be like until you actually marry them. Then if they turn out to be a horrible partner (despite being an apparently good gf/bf) it is much more difficult and expensive to break it off with them.

Perhaps a question that goes along with this thread would be to childless couples married 10 years or more. "If you had it to do over, would you still have married them?"

My guess would be the honest answer for the majority would be no. Obviously less than that have actually chosen to divorce, some stay in a crappy situation for various reasons.

Kids only complicate the situation. Many people stay in bad marriages and make the best of it for the sake of having a good relationship with their children. Ask me how I know...

17. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    43, married 15 years, very happy and no kids.....children are murder on relationships and very bad on furniture as well, pets on the other hand are only bad for furniture!!!

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Having kids to me is the ultimate "to each their own" issue. If I didn't want a family, I doubt I would have married. Hard to say for sure, because we're always changing as people. But I dated a LOT in my 20s and early 30s and didn't marry until I was 36. My wife is wonderful, and we're a great team both as parents and partners. It's my guess that a married w/o kids couple finds it easier to maintain the same feelings and lifestyle of dating than those with children. It's a simpler life, no doubt. And I'd be lying if I said I don't ever have moments of envy. I do know that with kids, you have to consciously focus on your relationship with your spouse. I'd like to hear married w/o kids couples comment on how they maintain their relationships over time.

19. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004

Do you do date nights and parents-only vacations?

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife and I have been married nine years without any kids. I can't pretend to know what life would be like for us with kids, but we have to focus on our relationship just like anyone else. Careers, hobbies and other distractions in life can easily erode a marriage if you let them. My wife and I are part of a married couple's Sunday School class that is great for discussing topics among a group and privately between us. Staying engaged in your relationship helps to prevent a lot of problems that plague troubled marriages.

Anything more specific you want to know, Jack?