Marriage For Men SUCKS! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Marriage For Men SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by modernman, Jul 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I guess that expression, "Living well is the best revenge" doesn't always apply.

Kirk, it was a pleasure to meet you Saturday!

KevFla

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

In theory that sounds great but , in reality if you have nothing as I did when i got married there is nothing to sign a prenup for.

3. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I still don't understand the point of being married? It just brings potential nightmares if things go sour. How people still feel the need for a silly piece of paper, completely baffles me.

If you're in a serious relationship, it's the exact same thing.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It isn't for everyone, the high divorce rate is proof of that.

The paper doesn't mean anything except legally, what is important is the commitment between the two. It is possible to have that level of commitment without the paper, but I think that makes it harder for most. Makes it as easy to give up over lesser things, same as if you just had a promise ring or "I will love you forever". For most that isn't enough to work through the lesser problems.

I think we did the actual marriage right, we just ran off to Florence no big family headaches or planning, it was a cool and unique ceremony. We just did a party back home for the family.

I think marriage is the best if...

1) kids
    2) monogamous
    3) spouse is also best friend
    4) you both bring great things to relationship

Now talking about sex the single guys brag about they can have sex with whoever they want. Well watching my now older friends over the years who have stayed single they have had much less sex and that has also cost them more money, time, liver, stress, and drama.

5. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

I have nothing against a committed relationship. I just think marriage is a bit outdated, provides no positives only potentially nightmares if things go south. Couldn't see putting myself in that situation, for a piece of paper or to say "We're married"

For reference, I'm going to be 29 shortly. Dated my ex for 7 years. Current girlfriend going on 2 years. I treat a serious relationship, the same as marriage. Parents are still married..Maybe not being religious gives me a different outlook?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no you don't, you only were with ex for 7 years. ;)

I'm not religious either.

I would actually "propose" that religion is the main reason people get married and one big reason for the high divorce rate, because it shouldn't be one of the main reasons to get married.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    FIFY. Two million years of evolution cannot be denied.

8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

Couldn't agree more. Married 20 years, as well, to my best friend. It gets better every year, and it was pretty great from the beginning!

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Same here, best thing I ever did was marrying her.

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    One thing not mentioned so much here is the elephant in the room that can cause so much tension and resentment: sex.

If everything else is going fine, and both are physically capable, it is a reasonable expectation that there would be regular sex. This doesn't mean twice a day or only on your birthday, but some reasonable frequency.

It goes both ways though, the wife being pawed at every night probably has the right to say "NOT TONIGHT", and if if it continues every night could resent her husband expecting her to act as his breathing **** doll all the time.

OTOH, a wife (or husband, heard these exist too;)) that always rebuffs their partner 99% of the time or more is equally responsible for simmering resentment on the part of their significant other.

IMO, society has swung in the opposite extreme from decades ago, and the guys are expected to be the handyman/financier/gardner/therapist for the wife and he gets nothing in return.