Market value of this unique 365 GT 2+2 California conversion? | FerrariChat

Market value of this unique 365 GT 2+2 California conversion?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by alexwagner, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Hello,

This unique car has caught my attention:
    Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 California Spyder (conversion)

I have just sent an enquiry about the price, but before receiving the price I wanted your objective opinion on market value, seeing as the car is converted, in a market that values originality above all.

So... despite this car being inherently desirable as a cabrio (and the burr walnut aftermarket dashboard is much smarter than standard spec too), would the market value it (much) more or less than an equivalent condition factory original hardtop?

And whatever the price, would it not prove very hard to sell on due to being a conversion?
    I would have thought that most classic Ferrari buyers would simply rule it out, whatever the price. Then again, it is a litteraly unique opportunity and so maybe demand need not be high for it to sell well?

I ask because I tend to keep my cars a few years before being attracted to something else, so resale is a factor for me.

Thanks for your opinions.

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Wrong forum section.

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    IMO it's not a very good conversion, with a huge number of differences to the California it intends to replicate. As such I would pay less than the equivalent GT hardtop.

4. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Sorry guys, but I'm not sure where I should have posted. Would you give me a pointer please?

5. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it's a bit of a free-thinking evocation rather than a strict recreation.

Personally I prefer what they've done to the original 365 Cali, and I like that it's creative art rather than an unimaginative copycat repro. But the "artist" who did the work doesn't have a reputation as such, unlike some other one-off in-period rebodied Ferraris, which are highly prized and valued). So I suspect the market would indeed value something more faithful to Pninfarinas original. And very few people would value it more than a factory hardtop.

Having done some market research, I found that this car very was entered in Bonhams in Gstaad in 2008 and then Artcurial in Paris in 2010. It went unsold both times... :-/

This tends to confirm my suspision: that whatever the actual market value, it would be a very hard car to sell on, as most buyers simply won't entertain the idea at all.

More opinions please? Thx.

6. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    How much do "they" think its worth?
    Cheers,
    RE

7. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    I will revert when I have a reply on current asking price.

In the meantime, I have found 3 past asking prices:

- In 2008 at Bonhams it had an estimate of 190-260K€. Did not sell.
    - In 2009 at the Techno Classica car show in Essen, it was advertised for sale at 159K€. Don't know if it sold.
    - In 2010 at Artcurial it had an estimate of 140-160K€. Did not sell.

8. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Asking price is 265K€. :-(

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Analogizing to the Daytona market, it's worth no more than an uncut example, and maybe less if it's not a good job.

10. alexwagner

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    I think that's the clincher. Thanks.

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think this car just showed up at Fantasy Junction, $165K.

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  13. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

14. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

That is of course unless both of these cars have wood dashes. I saw the ad in FML and assumed it was the car in this thread. (not the ugly duckling)