Mark Webber Announces Retirement | FerrariChat

Mark Webber Announces Retirement

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Oct 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. I just wonder if "Mark Webber will call time on his illustrious racing career" implies impermanence (is that a word?). We used to use the term "time" to put an event on hold only to continue later.... :shrug:

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Webber is only 40, seems a bit young to be complaining about extensive travel, testing
    and racing schedules.

It could be that he's got a future in commentating which he seems quite good at or perhaps
    some sort of team ownership role.

Tom Kristensen retired at 47 and to me he still had 10 years (at least) in him as he's in better
    shape now that when I met him originally in 1996. Family and other obligations aside, there
    just comes a time when a driver has accomplished all he can or the motivation just isn't there
    any longer and time to move on to something else.

Despite not winning at Le Mans, Webber has emerged as a great ambassador of the sport
    and he remains popular in F-1 and sports car circles.

BHW

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's how I will remember him; the guy has a very pleasant personality.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    He should do the 500! ; )

Your thoughts?

6. After F1 and LMP1, why should he lower himself??? :p

7. I know I never provided credentials but trust me, you ain't edumacating me. :p

I do agree with your assessment except I add I think he might just get back in...let's say even if just for Le Mans. Look what happened to Gordon's (Jeff that is...) retirement. ;)

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well, it may work out that he moves to some other form of racing.

I spoke with Elliot Forbes Robinson at last weekend's Art in Motion event at Monticello
    Motor Club. I've always known of EFR obviously, but never had the opportunity to work
    with or otherwise get to know him before so it was interesting.

We had a nice chat about his career and I brought up that I had read not too long ago
    that he was hanging up his helmet. He replied that even at 72, he is still quite active
    and doing all sorts of vintage/historic events and his schedule is full right up to the holidays
    and he may contest the 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring in a PC entry.

So, still a lot of good years left in Webber. Wouldn't be at all surprising to see him surface
    somewhere else.

BHW

9. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Guys, you know that sometimes you have just had enough - no matter what the endever or how successful you are

10. EFR and John Morton had seat time in theDevendorf Nissans, no?

Sorry folks...drifting off topic.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Different challenge. Big stage.

~300k people there this year.

I can think of a lot of reasons.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very true. Some others can't let go even as there performance drops off dramatically in sport. Always interesting to see where people call it quits.

13. 'Goes without saying.

'Still room for conjecture. I see nothing in the article about an absolute.
    Must we name all those that had "had enuff", "retired", only to wheel again... ;):)

14. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I know of guys and gals racing into their 70's and 80's, and although their performance is isn't what it use to be, their still at it and I have to give them credit for still having the desire to get in and race! So Mark Weber, like EFR can enjoy more years racing if his heart is in it!

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, he did drive the Nissan GTP ZXTs which he reminded me on Saturday night.

In a career spanning from 1968 when he bought his first racing car, went out and won
    with it, and then never having to buy another car again in his career, EFR had perhaps
    one of the longest and most diverse racing careers of any U.S. driver in history.

He drove sports cars (my first memory of him was driving the NART Daytonas at Sebring
    when I was a kid). He also won the TransAm championship, did CanAm, F5000,
    NASCAR, Indy Cars, Off Road, he did it all.

Retirement is a relative term for racers.

BHW