Marchionne: California isn’t a proper Ferrari | FerrariChat

Marchionne: California isn’t a proper Ferrari

Discussion in 'Australia' started by wrxmike, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    March 10, 2017

"Ferrari boss, Sergio Marchionne, has used a press conference at the Geneva motor show to openly criticise one of his own car-maker’s best-selling vehicles.

The charismatic car chief, who also heads up the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) empire, used his speech to announce that instead of increasing volumes each car it makes, Ferrari will expand the number of models it produces to grow global sales.

As well as the raft of new models, Marchionne said Ferrari would completely rethink its California T.

“There’s unexplored space on the premium side that will allow us to attract even more customers than we’re currently attracting”, said Marchionne.

He added the iconic Italian marque has already embarked on a period of “thorough evaluation” of all the products it makes.

“The car I’ve had the most difficulty is the California. I bought two of them — I bought the first one and I liked the car very much but it’s the one car that, from an identity standpoint, has the hardest time of seeing itself as a full-blown Ferrari,” Marchionne stated.

Ferrari’s boss said there was space for a California-style vehicle but that the Italian car maker “had to be honest” that the way in which Ferrari has interpreted the car “may not be right”

Marchionne: California isn't a proper Ferrari - motoring.com.au

Shades of Luca di Montezemolo and his comments on the 348 back in 1991

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The next $50k car.

Harry on the other hand says it is a real Ferrari.

3. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    I hope so, don't care about the real Ferrari nonsense, I think they look great and be a nice car to tour in.

I don't doubt that in the world of Ferrari it was a misstep though, but it's hardly the only one they've ever made.

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It'd be a lot nicer than a 3 wheel Morgan ...... or any Morgan for that matter

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Enter the new Dino...

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cool. Something small, light, mid engined 400hp, great looking.

Like a modern 355. :p

7. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It'll be slightly bigger than the 4C (may even use the CF tub), with the Alfa 2.9l TT V6. I doubt they'd develop new engine family, but you never know.

8. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Won't that just continue the problem that people have with the California? It's not a real Ferrari etc.

The point is that they shouldn't be using the parts bin for a Ferrari right?

9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The original Dino wasn't a real Ferrari, either! And if it's pretty, performs well, and is priced right, all will be forgiven.

10. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Good point!

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    My thoughts exactly, I'd speculate that as Maserati engines are made In the Ferrari factory all be it in a seperate area, the 4C is made in the Maserati factory and there looking for increased production pattern emerging here.

12. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They've done OK resale wise.

13. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Exactly

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah... NOW..... but not in period

15. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looser. ;)

16. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Fixed.

17. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Depends what you're relying on it to do, I guess.

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I heard a story in December that Marchionne had cancelled the Dino platform, mainly because the price ended up being very close to the 488 GTB and hence would be difficult to sell. I guess we will find out this year if that story was correct.

Also the entry level Ferrari is the California, I think a Dino at a similar price would also eat in to Califiornia sales, something Ferrari would be keen to avoid. Perhaps a California platform with a fixed roof and a V6 could be the entry level car for little development cost, similar to what Porsche did with the Boxster / Cayman.?

My guess is that they will add an SUV to the lineup at an entry level price point, everyone else is doing it and it will bring additional sales without cutting in to existing models.

M

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    My understanding was that the Dino was going to be positioned higher then the California. That is was to be just under the 488 line and the California would remain the entry car.

Such a great nameplate, it deserves to be resurrected in some form or other.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Its a shame if Ferrari don't do a Dino, Whats wrong with a V6 Version of a 4c only much prettier thanks. I suppose the marketing people are all concerned as to where the car would sit in the market, eg at $200k your in Porsche Cayman territory segment, by all accounts a tough act to follow
    There was a hint in the Maserati press about a 4c version with a Maserati badge, but Maserati in the own press have gone down the main stream route with SUVs and hybrids and stuff
    Shame in a way the Maserati Alfieri has been delayed.

Maserati: Alfieri delayed, hybrids and SUVs coming | Top Gear

21. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    The SUV phenomenon just keeps on growing. According to Motorsport, the Bentley Bentayga is a runaway success and VW are working out how to increase production to keep up. For a car that is nothing more than a re-skinned and re-trimmed Audi Q7...

22. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    recent history tells us that Ferrari have no regard for how their great nameplates are used.

Calling a limp-wristed 2+2 "California" was already desecration, wasting "GTC4" and "Lusso" on the same car, "Superfast" on a standard production V12, the list goes on.

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Marketing rules! Masearti did the same thing the first defamation was the Ghibili, losing the Bora name to VW( idiots) at least they have had the sense to name 100th commemorative car the Alfieri and not rehashing a classic.

24. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    That's very true. Worst example I can think of was the 599 GTO. Enough said !!

25. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    I liked but did'nt love the California i drove, i consider it a proper Ferrari even though it would like the others have FCA bits/pieces in it [does it matter?]

You want a classic line from Sergio, go Google where he dumped on the Jeep Commander, that was gold [and uncalled for]