Marble counter edge seam question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Marble counter edge seam question

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by WCH, Nov 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    At this point I would leave it as is. It looks better than the two options in the diagram. In six months you won't even notice it.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It looks odd only because your photo frames the edge of the countertop as the entire image. If you took a regular photo from a normal distance it would probably look normal. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really were wanting it corrected, than the 45 degree cut makes the most sense cost-wise.

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Remember when the king paraded down the center of town
    All said he was dressed impecably
    When actually he had no clothes at all.
    In this case, you are the king
    If you are happy, we all are happy!

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

HA! Not happy at all, amused but not surprised that the builder insists all is as it should be, everyone does it this way, etc etc.

And, really, this is not the builder's fault. My wife relied on our designer; obviously we both should have been directly involved. I have not had time to micromanage the details that are so incredibly important in this type of project.

Meeting with the fabricator Tuesday to discuss options. The fabricator supposedly is the source of the quote that "80% of people in Palm Beach use a built up rather than mitered edge." Quite the meaningless statistic, really, as it seems to me the built up technique may be perfectly appropriate given the type of profile or material selected.

The builder has assured me that the fabricator is "the best in Palm Beach" and regularly "works with international designers." I actually get a kick out of this. We are well into the zone of protesting too much.

I will take and post a better photo when I again have access to the house.

Your comments have been very helpful - and, in coming to this section, I discovered the jazz thread, a nice bonus.

5. not a red "1"

not a red "1" Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2013
    Just for your own edification in regards to the 80% "Done this way" remark concerning the exposed seam . Tour some open houses in your area & see for yourself, I DOUBT that this exposed seam is a "Prefered Detail"

I also agree..."The King has NO clothes!"...Alex

6. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    You just need to tell your builder and fabricator that you're not part of the 80% and and have higher expectations for all the little details.

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

tell your builder he's full of BS, and to fix the job correctly, or not be paid IMO ....none of my renos would I allow even our discount marble/granite top guys to try and pass that off as a "job well done"

8. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That's fair. But get ready for a fight.

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #34 msdesignltd, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This look , the inside curve cannot be achieved with a mitre
    By 2 /1 inch slabs , without showing a seam.
    If the marble / granite were a solid color it would not
    Look as mis matched
    Maybe you can seperate the 2 slabs and just have a 1 inch
    That would be my suggest!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    It can be archive by with nature stone as long as the grain allows for it. Also I think mirrored slabs can be used to achieve this look.

11. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    I would guess that if you have a rounded corner like the one in the image, then that is why they used the technique they did. They should have explained this and given you options. We are renovating our house right now and virtually every day I walk in the front door and have to tell someone to stop what they are doing, and then have it redone. We are micro managing to death, but every time we try not to, we don't get what we want or what we asked for. It seems that so many of the people working on the house know what they are doing, so when we ask for something different, they either think we are wrong or just fall into their habits by mistake. It is very frustrating. Unfortunately, if certain things aren't fixed, they will bug you forever. Some things are not so important. Figuring out which are important is the key (for me at least) to being happy in the end.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #37 WCH, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    An update - we met with the fabricator, who insists that the "laminate" approach is widely used in Palm Beach, even with light colored marble with lots of "movement." He tells us he can do nothing with the marble without removing it to his shop and having it for approximately two weeks. He cannot begin work until after Christmas. He also says that the marble is too thin to use a mitered edge in any event.

Lots of good ideas here, but I keep thinking that the best way out of this, though a certainly expensive choice, would be to write off these tops, using the salvageable marble for other items around the house such as tops for other bathrooms, table tops, etc. If we undertake a repair/re-do, we pay thousands to have appliances removed and then reinstalled, live two weeks without a kitchen, and pay for repairs, only to end up with something my wife would never have chosen.

I personally find the obvious seam ugly. I'll post another pic in the next day or so, but because of changes in direction in the veining, the seam is obvious from across the room. Ludicrous to me to argue that any decent designer or even moderately discerning client would want a stripe along a counter top edge. Bizarre CYA IMO.

Blame? The designer, completely, I believe. Poor communication between the designer and my wife. My wife assumed she would get the mitered edge, and no one asked her what she wanted. The fabricator did as he was instructed by a designer; I think he should have questioned the approach. The builder really wasn't involved in the process, so I find it hard to find fault with him; he has offered a credit, but I personally find it hard to accept money from someone who isn't to blame.

Yes, I know, it's nice when fabrication of calacatta gold marble is your life's great problem ....

Can't thank you guys enough for all the responses.

13. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #38 msdesignltd, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    To WCH

an addendum to my whole house renovation..
    just so you dont feel so bad..
    We are in the Midst of a whole house renovation out east.

MURPHY's law all the way..

We waited 8 weeks for a custom painted stove..PC richards tightened the nylon belt on the handtruck and dented the side wall concave..new one on order.

A farmhouse sink was ordered from europe, was installed and the casting lead the water away from the drain hole, have to wait 10 weeks for a new one.

We ordered 6 kitchen and bathroom faucets from most reputable house supplier..all spec'd details came in wrong except for 1..

washer and dryer delivered in wrong color bright white instead of off white.

basement floods because the overflow pan on a/c is clogged with debri.

plumbers have installed pipes behind dry wall in wrong locations , the wallls and doors of house have got banged up left and right., they have cut wood and tile in house and dust is 1/2 in thick in spots. insulation removed and not replaced.
    I had to clean and cover A/C intakes with double filters because these guys just dont give a hoot.
    They leave A/C and heat and lights on when they know we are coming..

marble tile installers have atrocious seams in tiles in shower, must remove $2000.00 worth of tiles

Much much more..very disheartening..

BUT, When its done we will have what we want.....At what cost???
    Dearly.

14. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    WCH,

Yes, this should have been done using a mitered edges. Example here:

Kitchen and Master Bath

15. not a red "1"

not a red "1" Karting
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2013
    I would RUUUUUUUUUUUN from the fabricator!!!..."Too thin to use a mitered edge"....That is "1" of the BIGGEST LIES, I have heard in a Loooooooooooooong time. If the slab in question is "Too thin to use a mitered edge", then the slab is "too thin" to be structurally sound for ANY purposes...Alex

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #41 WCH, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Builder has refunded his markup on the stone and fabrication. All involved still insist no mistake was made, which infuriates my wife but doesn't much surprise me.

Michael, I don't know why construction has to work this way. We had a similar experience when we built a home in 2002.

On this project, to give only one example: a 5' high stucco wall is located two feet inside the property line. I tell everyone, from the first time I see a survey, that I want the proposed wall extension built on the property line. By "everyone," I mean the builder, the architect, the landscape architect and the builder's superintendent. I repeat this.

A couple weeks before the wall extension is built, I walk the property with the landscape architect and contractor's superintendent. We come to the wall, and I repeat my instructions. Landscape architect jokes that, given land prices in the area, moving the wall should increase the value of our property. We all laugh.

Two weeks later, the foundation for the wall extension has been poured two feet off the property line. I tell the superintendent that the wall is supposed to be on the property line.

The next day, 5' of cinder block is built on the mislocated foundation.

So that one the builder is fixing at his expense, maybe $8k or so, completely avoidable.

It just goes on and on, so much waste, disorganization. We are using a very experienced builder, architect, landscape architect.

This guy Murphy you mention - I think he may be our superintendent.

Edit - Today's mistake, the fireplace. My wife gave the builder a photo and told him to copy it, tweaking proportions if absolutely necessary only for scale. They actually changed the style of the piece, incredible. The child in me wants to send them all home.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

The fabricator's, builder's and designer's insistence that the edge was done properly enraged us at first, then we decided to simply ignore them. They just have to know better. I suspect it's too expensive a mistake to admit?

I assume one point of the thick edge is to suggest a thick slab of marble - having a seam down the middle of the edge certainly undermines the whole effect. And is ugly in any event.

18. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Thanks for your comments, Alex. I think they are throwing out any justification they can think up, and we have stopped listening.