Maranello Ferrari Challenge 1998 - F40 Crash | FerrariChat

Maranello Ferrari Challenge 1998 - F40 Crash

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BarryK, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Came across this video, from Castel Coombe 1998. Driver was Peter Cook who was thankfully unhurt.

Anyone know the chassis number as I am making a list of F40 that have raced?

brianweekes likes this.
  2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That have raced or that have crashed? I see two F40s in the video and you don't mention the other either to say you already know it or that you don't. In my view it would be entirely unfair to the current owner of the car, who may or may not know about an accident it had 20 years ago, to post the chassis number here.

Jonathan

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Just raced. No interest in crashed cars.

I mention the crash, only because it someone might remember it. There are other F40s such as Peter Bowler's (seen here as well) and John Pogson's two cars which I know about that have raced in the Maranello Challenge in the mid-late 90s.

Fair point about the crashed car's details. PM is fine if anyone is happy to share it.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I give British drivers a bunch of credit racing that diversity of Ferraris in Maranello Challenge. Did all those cars like 308's and Daytonas have roll cages too? In states you've just had the Vintage racing, Challenge racing, Challenge cars in SCCA, and GT2 308's in SCCA.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Several but not all cars had them, but in reality, some of the cars were pretty close to road-spec.
    See
    http://archive-focgb.co.uk/events/review/index.php

http://www.ferrariclubracing.co.uk/competitors/ferrari-classic/background/

As you say, credit to the owner-drivers who went and gave it the full beans.

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Correction: Meant Stuart Bowler, not Peter, above.

7. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    I had a great view of how hard these guys were pushing when I was lapped by the 2 F40s, one each side, on the run into Quarry. Unbelievable and a little scary shame we didn't have cameras then!

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Geez that camera guy in the white shirt didn't move an inch...anything for the shot. At least the video guy turned away...