Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Manual Transmissions - A Rant - I Vent

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Billy10mm, Feb 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Nothing will ever come close to the cars of the 60-80s. I dont see myself owning many vehicles out side of these 30 years. Unless it is older :D

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    From the Driven section of evo #165:
    Thank God the mechanism that forces me to downshift that many times for a simple overtake is "fast-reacting and responds instantly" . . .

Not to offend anyone, but that's a ridiculous state of affairs for this iconic driver's road car, one of the few the average car fan can afford. And it's being imposed for absolutely no reason, IMHO.

(Unless Ruf can get an exemption for the RGT-8, the 4.0 is going to be priceless.)

3. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #78 scoobysteve, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    I'm looking at slightly-used BMW 3-series sedans and trying to find a stick. It's fairly difficult and a sales manager flat-out told me on new cars they only order sticks as a special order, none on spec.

I could understand that if I was looking for an automotive unicorn like an Accord V6 Coupe with a stick, but this is a freakin' 3-series: THE car you buy when you want a sports car but life necessitates 4 doors and a veneer of responsibility.

Regarding the flappy-paddle gearboxes, I've warmed up to them over the years, especially since I drove a VW GTI with the DSG box (there is a delicious German precision to gear changes) but I'd still prefer to row-my-own in anything other than chronic bumper to bumper traffic. But torque converter slushboxes are still on my "never" list. They've gotten heaps better, but even the best of the best, the latest 8-speed cogswappers, still lack the directness I desire.