Mangusta thread | Page 62 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Hi, I would not do it as the car would not be authentic then. Best Herbert

Mang likes this.
  2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jerry, I have a set of Mangusta wheels. If you’re interested PM me. If anyone else is interested feel free to PM me as well.

Mang likes this.
  3. Recess660

Recess660 Rookie

Dec 4, 2019
    Berwyn, Pennsylvania
    Thanks Herbert. The car would still be authentic with using period correct parts, and appear as the Designer has intended the initial design to be. However, the car's originality would be altered compared to the build sheet with the modification to be reversible at any time.

4. silvsurf

silvsurf Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Herbert Putz
    Hi, I agree. With "authentic" I used the wrong word, what I meant is what you said. To be honest I thought about the same some years ago as I am also owner of a 2-popup-headlight car but then refrained from it out of the mentioned reason. I am curious anyway if anybody already did it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Not sure how pm works with new format.
    Please email some wheel info. Thanks [email protected]

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Will do.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  9. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    Nice testdrive of the mighty Mangusta:

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  11. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Latest estimated publishing date of Eau Rouge Publications' Mangusta book is early Feb. of 2021.

Nembo1777 and Mang like this.
  12. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    As per author Marc Sonnery, latest estimated publishing date of Eau Rouge Publications' Mangusta book is now early June of 2021.

hyenahf and 71Satisfaction like this.
  13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I purchased my car with an aftermarket chrome top air clear a-la-Shelby. I have searched for many years to acquire the correct Mangusta assembly without success. I was lucky to have an owner lend me his. I have been working with a few specialized trades to make a reproduction air cleaner. I had asked a well known metal fabricator to make the inlet funnel but unfortunately it did not meet my expectation. The only way to accurately make was to have the unit 3D scanned. From this I had a machinist make a Tool and Die mold made. I purchased a sheet of 18 gage body sheet metal and along with a friend, cut-up squares and we stamped half funnels with his 10 ton press gave them a flange and spot welded the halves together as were the originals.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang likes this.
  14. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Concurrently the scan was used to have a metal spinner make a wood buck and spin a few center bowls. A wood buck has a short life but then it has a major cost saving compared to its steel equivalent. Next step was to properly and accurately mate the funnels to the bases.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009

Attached Files:

16. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Next came the task of painting the air cleaners. I was sure we could use wrinkle paint in a can and play with temperatures to match the original mottled finish, but it was not to be that simple. After many attempts it was decided to try and find rare bulk product and then expand the methods and procedures. it took a professional painter a week to find a formula very close to the original large grain texture. GKALEX had been thru the same challenge (Reproducing "Lizard Skin" wrinkle paint on steering shroud | FerrariChat) close-up pic of original paint finish
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Here is complete reproduction assembly, found the correct paper tubes in the UK. I have a couple extra assemblies should anyone be interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang, staatsof and energy88 like this.
  18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    nice fabrication.
    re the wrinkle, you have large wrinkle but not the gator pattern. ive seen some wrinkle powdercoat have the perfect orig effect.

19. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #1545 DenisC, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    The gator pattern was not uniform over the surface of the original piece. I did inquire with 2 powder coaters but they wanted money up front for special order large flakes without guarantees.

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice job! Probably better than original. DeTomaso was not noted for their workmanship back in the day.

21. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Actually the original piece is rather well done. The only improvement I did one one only was to clean the welds on the inside of the funnels. Looks good but it in on the inside and can't be seen by anyone except the owner when the filter is out of it.

22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Actually, none of the Italian exotics were into perfection for things like air cleaners or making the engine compartments look pristinely perfect and being able to look that way for very long.
    You were supposed to but new cars after 4-5 years. It's the later collectors and hobbyists who've pushed the perfection thing. The bigger dig against DeTomaso is that depended on the customers to troubleshoot the design flaws. And THEY DID!

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  24. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Has anyone heard anything about the status of the Eau Rouge Mangusta book?