Man Dies At Fastimes Indoor Karting (Indy) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Man Dies At Fastimes Indoor Karting (Indy)

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by fiorano94, Feb 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    What SMS said...I have not seen anything about this being a two kart accident. Everything has implied solo kart accident. Something in my head makes me think I "heard" solo, but brain is foggy, so don't quote that.

If you ever make it to Fastimes (I highly recommend you do if in Indy) and drive the turn in question, you'll see how you could have a solo accident that goes up on the two left wheels. Its a two level course. As you leave the hairpin on the bottom, pedal down the whole way leading up to the turn where the accident happens. To get there, you circle the outside of the the bottom course, up a ramp and then circle the outside wall in a clockwise direction. As you approcah the big glass windows, you take a sharp right and go back down another ramp. The turn, like on a road course, is designed to make you slow down before you go back into the more complex lower level. You can't take a turn after a long straight at full speed. If you try to take this turn at full speed, it can be a bruiser. But, you can carry a good deal of speed through it. You also see a number of people blow the apex and hit the outside barier (where the wall & railing is) and bounce hard off it. Exactly what Fastimes tells everyone NOT to do. It can be a hard hit and amazing how much impact the barrier absorbs.

I have seen and been victim to people trying to pass in this section. Hits are not that bad as both karts are usually moving at the same speed and in the same direction. You've heard: "Speed doesn't kill, speed differientials does." If you spin or stall there, then the hit can be worse, but not likely to flip a kart (IMO). Nothing like the hairpin where you have to swing wide to set up the turn, expose your right side to oncoming traffic and slow down to make the turn. This is where you usually get some moron use you to bank off the side of your kart at full speed. Makes you wish for legalized flogging when that happens.

As much as I regret this accident happened and feel for the family, my logic tells me the person tried to carry too much speed into a turn designed to slow you down, the kart went up on 2 wheels and for some reason, it flipped into the barrier. The helmets, neck braces, rollbars, padding on the railings, side barriers to absorb impact...It should have been a roll-over at the most with friends joking about the experience for years to come...it was like the stars aligned in a very bad way. RIP.

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Again,
    Video clips in post #10 show this turn on the track if you have not scoped it out.

FYI, there is another indoor track in Indy. It's Track Attack. Indoor all winter and outdoor all summer. Also SCCA Renaults in addition to Karts. I-70 and Shadeland area.

3. Auctung

Auctung Karting
    BANNED

Feb 1, 2008
    in my Diablo
    Full Name:
    nun ya biznas
    wanna go?!? :)

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Yeah, soon. Mike B who you subbed for owns a company that helps sponsor TA and hosts a few events there each year. I'll plant a bug in his ear. You have to try out their Formula Renaults. They're the real deal.

www.trackattack.com

5. Auctung

Auctung Karting
    BANNED

Feb 1, 2008
    in my Diablo
    Full Name:
    nun ya biznas
    wow!!
    wanna stop by for afew runs soon??

maybe get 5-10 guys and go have a lil fun??