Malaysia Practice ***SPOILER*** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Malaysia Practice ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Mar 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Are you going to take off your tin foil hat before the race?

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It seems the F2008 is very much suited to Sepang. It looks awesome here. Lets hope that is the case!!

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Kimi owns all 3 sectors right now!

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Not sure what you mean. I am pointing out the unfortunate reality of Ferrari's performance being at the mercy of certain electronics.

5. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Along with the rest of the grid being in the same position, but to claim that McLaren has some magic switch in their pits to turn off the Ferrari engines at whim is just paranoid.

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    anyone else see kimi's barge boards moving around a bunch on the straights?

7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't believe that claim was made. I believe a joke was made. There does seem to be a conflict of interest though. Let's not be naive.

8. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    At least the speed guys are talking about the McLaren ECU. Does anyone know the ECU that McLaren was using last year before the standardized unit? was it produced by McLaren Electronics?

9. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I saw that, it looks really bad.

10. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Damn way to go Kimi purple in all three sectors.

11. infinitespecter

infinitespecter Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    I think that if Ferrari can hold the engines together this weekend, they are unbeatable (EDIT: As long as it doesn't rain, because we know about the unpleasantness that is Massa in the rain.)We are starting to see the form from them that made Trulli pronounce that the championship battle was over before it began. They just need to keep the engines reliable. I can't believe how much faster they are than everyone else though. Could they really be 8 tenths faster than McLaren?

12. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Can anyone else believe that Peter Windsor is talking about the quality of the look Lewis's tire wear? I am, and have been Lewis supporter for a while now, but I'm really getting sick of Peter Windsor taking every available second to suck up to him every GP weekend. I mean, who the hell is Peter Windsor to say the tires were "perfectly worn?"

In the bright side, Kimi's looking pretty fast.

13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nope. This is practice.

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Woohoo P1 for Felipe!

15. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    I think I just saw rain on Kimi's camera. maybe not...

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It is also interesting listening to them talk about the other teams battery exploding and what not thanks to the new McLaren ECU. Interesting, that info about the system seems not to have been communicated thoroughly. Also the low RPM launch of the McLaren cars compared to that of other teams.

18. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    They should be happy now, Hamilton p1.

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Lol there goes Windsor praising Hamilton again.

20. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Much better session.

21. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to try to keep track of how many times Windsor does in qualifying tomorrow. Should be interesting...;)

Nevertheless, Lewis did show some very good speed there at the end, as well as both the Ferraris. I kind of hoping those clouds close in so that we can get some rain...

22. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Hamilton did do a very pretty slide through that turn.

But that's not the kind of thing you want to rely on 15 turns per lap, 56 laps per race. ;)

For all the praise Lewis has gotten for his showy driving, I noticed something about last year. Hamilton improved from grid to finish in three of the first four races last year (4th to 3rd in Aus, 4th to 2nd in Malaysia and Spain), "improved" 10th to 9th at Nurburgring, and didn't finish higher than he started in any other race. All four of his wins were from pole. Hmm. Isn't that what they say about Massa: "if he can go into T3 first, he can stay there"? (Phil's three wins in '07 were from pole, too. (Four, if you count Brazil, which he handed over to Kimi.))

Alonso may be well down in practice, but he seemed to be discovering the limits of the important turns. Schumi used to go off in practice. Then, when it counted, he'd get it just inside the limits lap after lap after lap. I'm hoping this year of trying to get the most out of the Renault will transform Alonso from the vunderbrat into a seasoned professional. (Okay, so maybe I'm an optimist. I also still think Massa is improving. ;) Not too shabby a lap from Phil -- without the theatrics in the corners.)

Ferrari doesn't seem to have an issue with being quick. It's reliability and race strategy that's giving them trouble.

A good wet race would be nice, but dry to monsoon to dry again wouldn't really show anything about the drivers except their luck.

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    hi Sam. i wen for every race between 2002-2006. was thinking to go for this year's race, but i bought a new iMac instead :D

so, next year, i'll be in Sepang :)

24. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    LoL! :D

25. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    hi guys, it's 1630 now, we had a clear afternoon today, but it's getting a bit dark, and slight spots of rain here. i think it'll rain tomoro, no sign of it now.