Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Peloton25, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  2. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    That press release would be funny, if this incident wasn't so sad.

RIP to all those aboard this ghost "ship"...

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, I found that press release rather strange indeed, but it is from the ATSB, so an official conclusion.

Rgds

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    200 plus million with more to spend? Here's the main question for me, why waste all that money when we have starving people in the world? The are gone, buried at sea. Most likely terror related, but who knows?

Mr Hansford said his main criticism of the search was why it was being conducted at all.

“Years after a crash in the depths of the sea you will be unlikely to recover body parts or black boxes, so what is the motivation, what are we trying to achieve?” he said.

“Are we doing it to save face for the Malaysian government, the Chinese government?”

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Can't tell if you are serious but imo it's unfair to juxtapose helping starving people with the efforts and costs of learning more about this event, too often people do this.
    I for one respect the process and just hope intelligence is leading the effort.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #1131 Rifledriver, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    If that had been the prevailing attitude since the start of aviation, airplane safety would not be any further advanced than the Wright brothers, there would be no confidence in airplanes so the creation of an airplane/airline industry would not be needed. If that attitude took over now it would devolve to the same place. Wasting money? No. And without the transportation industry where it is now we wouldn't have the food or money to help those starving people even if we wanted to. Remove safe, reliable, inexpensive, mass air transportation from society and the world will be a very different place.

boxerman likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    $200 million wouldn't put a dent in any "world" problem.

The reason why we need this is because we need to know if it was a mechanical failure so we can prevent it from happening again.

Let's just put it this way. $200 million is less than the cost of buying the plane in the first place. You have to put things in perspective.

They did find the missing Air France plane and they did find that a mechanical problem caused it and could have happened again. Another event like this could to terrible damage to the airline industry as well as the families of those who would lose loved ones. Would you have preferred we just didn't bother?

You might as well ask why we investigate car crashes. Oh well -- they're dead anyway. Move on.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The $200 million would just wind up in the offshore account of some despot anyway. The reason his people are starving in the first place.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Didn't some lib coin this remark recently?

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Finding this 777 is important to learn if there is some latent defect, but with AF447 the primary defect was co-pilot Bonin that held full aft yoke and kept the plane stalled until impact with the Atlantic. The pitot tube problem, at cruise, would have been easily compensated for by competent pilots.

boxerman likes this.
  11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a troll, but also believe it was a purposeful act on the pilots part.

12. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That has to be the greatest 20:20 hindsight "no **** Sherlock" statement in history. :rolleyes:

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks like the search will be 'suspended' in the the next week or so ...

IF any new evidence surfaces then it 'could' be continued again in the future.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is what I never figured out.

They knew the plane's last heading and the point of the turn. If you assume it maintained that heading and calculated the range based on fuel consumption, why not move along the same heading north to south along that path?

15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I believe that's more or less what they have been doing. Whoever took the plane, and no I don't think it's on land somewhere, knew where to hide it.

Mark

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    The last time I looked into this, the "geniuses" at the sat company that studied the doppler shift of the signal but did not publish any details, afaik, came up with the track and the search area was derived from that.

Nothing has been found from the search area, ergo wrong track.

If the plane was on autopilot from the last turn it can be well determined where it went up to the variable of fuel exhaustion point.

However, if somebody was in control of the speed, and therefore distance flown, it is questionable. Yes, the sat guys saw the pings and did their calcs from the doppler shift, but that's a big Ocean down there.

This is one for the record books.

Even the langoliers eventually landed.

boxerman likes this.
  17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    A very long but well written interesting read. I was surprised at the number of wack job suisidal mass murderous events in the past. What can be done to prevent this? It seems based on the past that it will happen again. Why kill all of the innocents? Why do they have to go with you? I cannot comprehend.

19. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  20. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A 100 nm radius circle is a lot of ocean to search. ~31,416 sq nm.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah and no one has anymore money for this search given global recession from COVID with countries hurting for money everywhere and no end in sight.