Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK | Page 43 | FerrariChat

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Peloton25, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As I thought, the "window" is a trim panel and that would definitely be another piece of the 777. No way that this trim panel could come from anything else. There will be more.
    I'm really amazed at the sloppy language that seems to be the norm now. Wheels are called "rims" and sometimes called "tires". Engines called "motors", Porches called "Porsh". I "seen", I "done". I could have "went"...and on it goes. I ain't perfect but things can be done better in some spots..."Things could be did better."?

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree Bob,

I done seen many reports that they found the wing of the airplane.

The whole wing????

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Nope. Part of the wing.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You totally missed my point.... the sarcasm doesn't always work on the internet, I guess.

I was ridculing the news reporters.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    During my exchange tour with the RAF, I quickly noticed that I was the only one using the word engine when talking about our fast jets. I was flying with Fast Jet Test Squadron, so I presumed RAF test pilots knew what they were saying when talking about the Rolls Royce motor on my jet. I still call them motors to this day...trying to hang on to every bit of cool Brit speak I worked so hard to understand over three years.

As an aside, I had a very nice secretary who now and then would poke her face in my office and speak to me for two or three minutes straight, after which I would just look at her with a confused look on my face, realizing that she had been speaking english words but that I had no earthly idea what she said. I'm convinced she thought I was a moron.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

"Two countries separated by a common language." ;)

My GF will tell you she understood about 50% of what I was saying when we first met. Even less when my boys were around and we went all Cockney.....

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady":

"There even are places where English completely disappears; in America they haven't used it for years."

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, it's much worse in France, you know: there are now lots of places in France where proper french could not be heard anymore these days, because the French themselves have forgotten their own langage.
    Our hopes for the preservation of it under its proper form are with the french-canadians, or the cajuns.

Back to MH370: still no offical conclusions to the expertise of the flaperon.
    Meanwhile, some "experts" with credentials unknown to me are already drawing their own conclusions:

MH370: Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 'Sank Intact' Claims Satellite Expert

MH370 plane 'could be intact' on the Indian Ocean floor | Daily Mail Online

Rgds

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's funny, because I've heard of Frenchmen who claim that what they speak in Quebec is not French!

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, of course the vocabulary is somewhat different, prononciation and accents also, but syntax and grammar is actually sometimes closely related to french of the seventeeth century, That most Frenchmen have now totally forgotten...

Rgds

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Guys,
    Languages are not static, never have been. They evolve constantly ...
    Pete

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Failure of "gasper" air to the cockpit, delivered by small diameter ducts and/or hoses.
    Possible popped breaker in the E/E bay may have caused it.

The air becomes stagnant without it, raising the C02 levels. That's why there are outlets at every seat.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The air delivered to the cockpit is a completely independent system from the cabin. The system is designed to keep the pressure slightly higher in the cockpit than the cabin to help remove harmful contamination (e.g. smoke), or prevent its intrusion from elsewhere (e.g. the cabin). Really odd there there was an "accumulation of wire, bubble wrap, and insulation material" in that duct.

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Smart crew. I really enjoy flying on British. They know what they're doing.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I've seen the system first hand, below and above deck. (Regularly).
    I seriously doubt the FOD in those ducts got there by accident.
    Disturbing to say the least.....

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I agree! There is no way that stuff like that could seep into the system.

19. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    They have a few writeups with the same issue so that should help narrow down the date.

Next up, who has access?

I'm assuming maintenance only. Can cargo handlers access or damage this system from the cargo compartment?

20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Remove a single liner panel and it is very accessible.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    How?

22. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1072 jcurry, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The mix manifold is at the aft end of the fwd cargo hold. This is where the air from the ac packs is distributed to the various sidewall ducts. Also where the cockpit flow lines get their air. The cargo hold liners are quite easy to remove.

View lkg aft in fwd cargo hold. Cockpit air line is the smaller purple duct in lwr right. Runs along the LHS of the cargo hole (behind thin liners). The larger purple ducts are for the cabin. Note: This pic was taken in a 777-200 that was being scrapped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, I designed the initial configuration of the filter installation as shown in the picture when the airplane was being stretched. As I remember, the additional cargo containers were squeezing the mix bay space and the filters space was also compressed and had to be redesigned . I have to agree with you that the ducts are accessible after the liners are removed but the only way to breach the ductwork is to cut one of them and there should be evidence of that. This does not sound very good.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The duct splices are wire reinforced rubber held on with simple hose clamps OR panduits, not unlike what you can find on a car .

The system could have been taken apart at some time to access other systems or structure (like during heavy maintenance checks/ blanket replacements) at which time debris could have found it's way into the open ducts or hoses.

I tell people that worry about flying that the best ones are fresh from the factory. You'll NEVER see the airplane in as good a shape again, especially after the airlines run the hell out of them.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Surely the truth is some rubbish amazingly got sucked into there, surely we are not talking sabotage?
    Pete