Making the move 360 -> 458 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Making the move 360 -> 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ghostdiver, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not just a statement. My video shows empirical proof. I'd love to see all the naysayers offer up theirs.

2. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Been considering upgrading from 360 to 458 for a while and will probably do it at some point between now (if the right car comes around and catches me in the mood) and 2-3 years from now, by which time I'll engage in an all-out search for the specific 458 I want.

I have driven them all and, for me, it's a fairly simple analysis.

Pro: The 458 is a more modern car and I do feel like the 360 is turning into a classic at this point. I enjoy really driving my car and using it as intended, and I'm increasingly feeling like I'm more likely to be stranded or just start facing classic car issues, as well as overall safety, reliability, etc (even though my 360 has been basically bulletproof and never any real issues.)

Con: Sort of the same thing. 458 is so fast that you're shifting gears so quickly, it's like premature ejaculation. Don't get to enjoy the pulls on public roads because you are at crazy speeds so quickly. DCT is so fast and smooth that you lose some of the feel and experience. 458 is amazing, but definitely not as visceral other than pure speed.

Like I said, it's only a matter of time for me. I'm sure I'll never really look back, but will always miss the 360 when I do it.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's not that bad because it still sounds great even if you don't floor the accelerator. There is definitely a build up to the climax. Now the 488, that's a different story. the red line is 1,000 RPM's lower, plus it get's cut even more in the lower gears, and the turbo has so much torque. All that combined, creates a car that goes so fast before it even revs, so it leaves you wondering what just happened, and without a build up to enjoy. After a test drive, that was the determining factor for me to purchase a 458 vs a 488. The 100K difference was like a great Christmas gift!
    Buy the 458, you won't be disappointed. I don't even think about my 360 any more at all!

4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man I hear you. There are so many good things about both cars. I SO love the lines of the 458. I could literally drive down to the dealership tomorrow and pay cash for one and it is SOOOO tempting. I would really hate to get rid of my 360 though. Both of my homes only have two car garages, so a third car is out of the question right now. I'm getting close to retirement age, thinking to move out of the state, purchase a huge home for less than half the price of one of my Bay Area homes (with a three car garage of course) and get a yellow/black Italia to keep the Modena company. Oh Man!! :)

5. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    my 360 is yellow/black and the best color for that car, but my 458 will be silverstone/black. best color for that car IMO.

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The first time I saw a yellow/black 360 was years ago at Ferrari of Los Gatos (long since shut down) and my jaw just dropped. I really wanted a yellow one but chickened out and bought "Resale Red". My buddy has a silver Speciale (traded in a black Italia) and that thing is insane. Gorgeous car!!

7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

Same issue. Just can’t imagine letting go of the 360.

shawdut likes this.
  8. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Any headway been made yet on purchasing?

9. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Being a long time three-pedal guy, I got over not having them in about a week. After driving the paddle-shift DCT, there is no going back.

LVP488 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Good feedback thanks. It's just so hard to let the 360 go.

shawdut likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    DCT for a powerful car is magic - the old school 3-pedal should be reserved for a really old-school car, after all a 360 is too in-between ;)

up4speed likes this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Turn off the traction aids on a 360 manual and you will get the old school experience!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Or buy an F355

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, the full experience, including engine-out every 3-5 years for belt service! Happy TG, Ponch!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

butcher and Ash Patel like this.
  15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    ha ha...This is very true...some of us are a little more masochistic than others...

16. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    ha ha...This is very true...some of us are a little more masochistic than others...

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed.
    For the folks who have mentioned that they have been having troubles viewing the 458 vs. 360 throttle response video, I changed the setting from private to public. This seems to have resolved the issue.

18. Topace

Topace Karting

Apr 2, 2021
    Omaha ne
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    lol