Making the move 360 -> 458 | FerrariChat

Making the move 360 -> 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ghostdiver, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    After having my Modena for the past 4 years and getting it to where I want it, I am debating on upgrading to a 458. Just really dipping my toes in the water so to speak. Until this happened.....

Called F0H to talk to them a bit and was told they don't have any 458's at the moment but coming up, they will have a 2011 Nero/Nero 458 listed with about 24k miles.

From the options list, it has yellow calipers, yellow stitching, and Daytona seats. Was told it came from someone on the board....

Would be curious to talk to the previous owner about the car, even though I really shouldn't.....

If you'd rather, you can just PM me

Thanks,

2. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    Do you know how much they are asking for that 458?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is the 360 6 speed or f1?

4. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Of course he knows how much they are asking (or at least, an approximate cost) so as to know if the car fits his budget, whether or not to continue the conversation with the dealership.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #5 Ghostdiver, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Technically, both are 6 speeds....(yea, I know...but I but I like to stir the pot....just ask my wife).

My car has the highly regarded F1 system so you don't have to worry about the stick in the middle of the console!

Dave rocks likes this.
  6. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I went from a 360 to a 458. It was like going from my Ford Focus to the 360. The 360 shouldn't even be named in the same sentence when it comes to performance. Not to mention the 458 is solid. I don't feel like the car might break if you drive it hard.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Go 458 and u wont look back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I can relate on the performance issue. Friend of mine has a 2014 Maser with basically a detuned 430 engine and he pulls away from me on the highway like I'm not even there. I accepted the fact that I have an 18 year old car and it doesn't measure up to the majority of cars out now in terms of performance, and I tell myself I didn't by it for the performance...I bought it because I liked it's looks better than the 430 and 458's hadn't dropped to an affordable range for me yet.

Although my car has been trouble free for the most part, it's starting to show its age here and there and even though I am taking care of those gremlins, I don't want to spend all my time working on my car rather than enjoy it.

How long did you have your 360 before going to a 458 and what issues stand out as far as maintenance with the 458 have you dealt with other than routine services, tires, etc.?

9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    except for the red & blues in the mirror right??? Ha!

ttforcefed likes this.
  10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I went from a 360 F1 (2003) to a 2015 458 Italia close to a yr. now. I really did like my 360, but I really,really like my Italia. I'm sure you will see what I means after ownership of the 458.

of2worlds and Ghostdiver like this.
  11. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I purchased in order, 4 new Ferraris: a 2003 360 F1 coupe, 2006 F1 430 coupe, 2010 458 Italia and 2013 458 spider.
    I am somewhat surprised by the "simple" comment of the 458 being better than the 360. I don't think it does justice to how each car compares with the other. I am NOT concluding that my 360 was over all better. I am however saying the 458 is not exactly like the 360 albeit faster.
    Without being overly verbose I think the following is worth mentioning.
    First, the 360 was the last 5 valve/cylinder relatively small block 8 cylinder car. As such it has the famous high pitched scream that the 458 cannot hope to match. Additionally, every 500-1000 RPM increase in revs led to different intake as well as exhaust sounds on the way to that rev line. The transmission while archaic vs the dual clutch, had a sonorous quality completely absent in the 458. There was a very mechanical "kachunk" sound that was audible on allowing the transmission to downshift on its own while coming to a stop. Lastly, the heft of and communication through the wheel in the 360 was vastly more satisfying than the very "quick" 458 steering.
    I wouldn't go back to my 360 as my 458 is such a great car. And yes, it is overall the better car. But, if I could imbue my 458 with the above qualities it would be even better still.
    Best

12. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Agreed - and this is why I did not sell my 360 when I bought my 458

Caphill likes this.
  13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    and I have debated holding onto the 360 and just adding to the stable. However, I feel that I would favor one over the other and I have already been down that road. Had my great uncles 65 Olds 98 Holiday coupe that he bought brand new. Dad restored it and gifted it to me. Thing was 22' long and was like taking your living room couch out on a drive! When I got the Modena, my attention swayed and eventually I sold the car as I didn't give it the time it needed....seals started to harden, batteries failed, brakes leaked.....all the good stuff. Would hate to put the Modena through that. Just sold my Harley too for the simple reason that I don't ride it the way it deserved. In my mind, I'd love a stable full of toys...reality, unfortunately, is a different matter for me.

Ivinsea and docf like this.
  14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I too have been looking at 458's. However, I discovered while driving one that it lacks that hair trigger snap throttle response that my 360 has. Blipping the throttle in first gear in the 458 is like blipping the throttle in fourth gear in my car.

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We just refinished a few sets of parts for FoH for (2) 2011 458's - my guess is this car is one of them.

RyanFoH and Ghostdiver like this.
  16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It shouldn't. Healthy 360 -should- pull on the Maserati.

Yes it has another 54hp but that doesn't make up for the additional 1000+lbs curb weight.

Dave rocks and shawdut like this.
  17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right. My 2013 GT is awesome but it weights 5000 lbs. My 355 would smoke it :)

INTMD8 likes this.
  18. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Guess I'll have to look into that....

19. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I think you are just mistaking because the 458 drives so much smoother than the 360. Jerkiness is no substitute for power. The 360 is not even close to the 458 for how snappy it is... in any gear. All my passengers comment on how much smoother and refined the 458 is over my gone and forgotten 360.

Melvok likes this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    IMPOSSIBLE !

21. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is a definite hesitation between the time I hit the gas pedal and when the car accelerates. I tried this several times. Does it differ with different modes?

Ivinsea likes this.
  22. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I owed a Modena and an Italia, moving from the 360 to the 458 on the same day, so there was no "dead space" between ownership. I do not agree there is any gas pedal hesitation with either car.

Dave rocks and shawdut like this.
  23. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    I agree - if anything, the 458 is even more sensitive

24. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I trust you guys. It's probably me. This is very good to know, however! I really want a 458. :)

Melvok likes this.
  25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Something isn't right with the car you drove. My 458 is definitely "touchier" than my 360 was. As a matter of fact, it is the only complaint I had with the 458 when I first got it. I didn't like how snappy it was in 1st gear, too hard to drive smoothly. I'm getting more used to it now, but I still prefer if it wasn't as lively/touchy.

Melvok and shawdut like this.