Major started on the 512tr | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Major started on the 512tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zeff, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Will do. What you did was incredible and thanks for your service! My best friend was airborne and mainly traveled in the Huey. You have some incredible stories! My friend is 73 years old. I am just 60

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Clyde Romero likes this.
  2. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I am 70
    Was 19 when I was over there as a pilot
    I was back from my first tour and I wasn’t even 21 !
    Looking forward to the call
    Gorgeous helicopter
    I really didn’t like the way the 206 autorotated
    And the pedals were too sensitive
    But that’s just me

MOSS likes this.
  3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Honestly you are looking at an OH-58a. I referred to it as a 206 because as you know that is the civilian model. It is a totally updated version and those have the Bell L4 bigger blades and a foot longer so it loves to float and does great autos. Its nicer than a 206 to me. I am looking at a 407 and you know those are the luxury models with 7 passengers, a/c, heat and cruise 150knts. Nice ones are just under 2mil but a handful out there a little better. I love the OH-58. I flew one this past wknd with a/c and just beautifully converted. When did you fly the 58’s? I thought they just hauled upper officers.

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #54 MOSS, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Maybe we should get off this thread or the complaints will come. Most love this kind of stuff but non Ferrari related and well you know.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Clyde Romero likes this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    24k....wow and I cant stress the wow! Like I said, if you ever sell it, it will be the one to buy!

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Clyde, I currently own a 90 with 12k miles. Great story, Btw.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  9. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    You are correct, I did not buy the car new - I got it with 29K miles on the clock from the original owner. While I can't say I saw how he drove the car It's unlikely that he abused it (his previous F-car was a Daytona). Also, isn't the output shaft supposed to work like a fuse to prevent undue stress from damaging the driveline downstream? Of course punishment is to blame for most failures but I really believe that the diff carrier - designed for a much lower-powered car with much less contact patch and grip - is a design flaw that sets up a possible bad failure even when the car is not abused. I agree with you that it comes down to your own personal comfort level.

MOSS likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You are right, its hard to say and the TR certainly does not have a high impact carrier system and most Italian cars share that problem. Engine over engineered and driveline under engineered.. I may have to eat my own words and get into my car and have the same failure. I hate you lost yours. Be interesting to know how may cars out of the production suffered the loss to give you practical numbers and ratios. The new unit made is beautiful and is incredibly superior to stock. The output shaft you are referring to would probably break before hurting the ring gear and pinion in my opinion although they are not that strong. Those are the problems you run into trying to get 700-1000hp out of these cars. The 512 does have a better shaft from what I understand. I have had techs tell me that the 512 trans is stronger but can't prove that.

Willdief likes this.
  11. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

12. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    You got the high skids
    Most -58’s had the low skids

13. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Most of the time the input shaft breaks which saves the ring gear
    I have seen 2 like that

turbo-joe and MOSS like this.
  14. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Also keep a close eye on 2nd gear synchros
    They are a prone to go bad since the shifting mechanism is brass and can easily bend
    And sometimes guys force the car into 2nd gear and the rest is history

Willdief and MOSS like this.
  15. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    One more thing
    The military birds had particle separators
    They must have taken them off before purchasing

16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    All good questions. The separators are in place. Yes the 58 have short gear and are ugly. High skids look great as you know and both birds have C18 turbines. A little light on hot days. Ours had around 400k of total updating and was nicer in so many ways than the 206b3 with the exception of the C20 which is a big deal. Little over a 100hp. What attracted me to the 58 was the longranger blades. It does not want to drop with full down collective. Great auto rotation bird. It will haul haul 4-5 passengers on the right day with little issue. The last one on the trailer is a/c and a doll in every sense of the word. Our total time was 3500 hours and the one on the trailer has 3200. Low hour ships. I am looking at 407’s and as you know they are 1.5 million to 2. 7 passengers 4 blade. 150knt cruise. Its a big jump for me but its a huge love. I have around a thousand hours in the seat. Would love to fly with you. Love the MD 500 and I think the MD 350 was like the loach. Trained on a Hughes 269c. Am I right about the loach? I know it was a hot rod turbine. The md 500 is a million bucks back to 750 or so. People in general dont get it. What you did and flew deserves paramount recognition. You have my respect! That 58 on the trailer looks like a 100 hour 206 in and out. It caught my eye because I just sold the first one so looking at options. Nothing cheap about owning and operating these ships but the ultimate life.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I wish there was a helicopter pilot only forum on fchat for us guys. I know there is a pilot forum I think but this is an exclusive club for sure. I think even Ferrari guys like to get a short break from the norm but I assure you we have been reported for getting off topic but I dont think It was Zeff. Its his subject on the major and you two have the same model in common. I will ask Paul if he can get a separate forum for this.

18. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Great stories! I am in Dallas/Fort Worth. A&P is great. You can go full circle with these ships then!

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Guys like you with your background and TR experience should be the one people listen too.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  21. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    thanks and yes I have a lot of experience on he 512 TR having done 4 majors on not only my car but other cars as well
    and the only thing I not very well versed on is repairing a gear box having never done one
    even though I have been told that could do it
    most if not all the work on most Ferraris is straight forward and the parts manual is a must since it actually shows you were things go!
    one of my sayings is remember Italians never put anyone on the moon, we did!