Major Ferrari Rumors | Page 75 | FerrariChat

Major Ferrari Rumors

Discussion in 'F1' started by crinoid, Sep 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Never enough.
    And what's twenty odd years?

In any case it's the tradition.
    ;)

2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    There's another aspect to this entire corporate re-do that I hadn't thought of, i.e. will Ferrari still be earning income by furnishing engines to FIAT-owned Maserati? When thinking about this, bear in mind that, unless there is a private deal regarding Piero Ferrari's 10% stake in Ferrari, 80% of Ferrari shares will be owned by John Elkann, the Agnelli family and the rest of the public FIAT shareholders. At some point it occurs to me that there may arise a conflict of interest between FIAT and their core owners and the non-Agnelli public shareholders of Ferrari S.p.A. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of the Ferrari public offering documents. They may shed some light on these issues.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And wasn't it fun getting up and watching the races live, hoping for that rare win. I remember a German GP where my father and I didn't speak for the whole time that Berger (?) was leading, scared that if we said something we would jinx the result ...

Far more fun than watching MS cruise to another win, while Irvine/Barrichello/Massa deliberately slowed the rest of the field.
    Pete

4. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Re check your figures. The family doesn't end up with an eighty percent share of the new company.

FCA intends to offer ten percent of the new issue to the public.
    Piero retains ten percent.
    The remaining eighty percent is dispersed to existing Fiat shareholders.
    The family owns just 30% of Fiat. Which means they end up with 30 % of 80%.
    In other words the family ends up with 24% of the new company.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It shouldn't be forgotten that, like in many companies, shares are often no held by individuals, but by institutions.

So, the 80% held by shareholders could be in the hands of banks, credit companies, insurance companies, hedge funds, trade unions, pension funds, investisment trusts, the Catholic Curch itself, and managed by accountants, trustees and directors whose sole duty is to maximise the funds they are responsible.
    These individuals are themselves answerable to their institution.

They will stick with FIAT if it looks profitable, but switch their funds to another investment at the first sign of downturn; it's their duty under the law.

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed but remember it won't be Fiat stock but Ferrari stock. If someone looking to take over Ferrari offers a fiduciary holder a price well above market the institution will sell.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can see Ferrari being disassociated from FIAT one day, and sold to investors, just like Aston Martin after its split from Ford.
    The Italian economy isn't too brillant at the moment, and after AUDI buying Lamborghini and DUCATI, and Mercedes taking a 25% stake in MV Agusta, Ferrari is the next jewel, with Maserati maybe. The Italian shareholders tend to give up on Italian-managed companies. Look at Alitalia...

I personally do not have much faith in the survival of Chrysler-FIAT. It's the end of an era.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Someday?
    It's happening now.

9. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Agnelli family where trying to sell ferrari to gm in the early 00s . GA was the only one with the pull to make it happen they didn't think fiat was going to make it in the long run and wanted to save ferrari . Ferrari will never have the market share to support road car R and D and f1 at the same time . Fiat Impo has to many irons in the fire and ldm had made the F1 the worst team on the grid . The guy running fiat had to move I bet he didn't want to make a change at ferrari but the kimi rehire and 2014 car where showing that if things didn't change fast fiat would have to completely support the team with money and time . What would have happened if the clown hack lawyer was still in charge and early 15 was even worse media would start more questions and ldm would say we will win the championship like every year

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The spinoff is for Fiat's benefit not Ferrari's.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with F1.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    just read on omnicorse.it ferrari will retain the pullrod upfront

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The entire Omnicourse article would lead one to believe that Ferrari should begin working on the 2016 car next week.

Best quote: "It seems established that 2015 is expected to remain on the vehicle front suspension with pull rod scheme. The tie would have been one of the reasons of non-adaptation of Kimi Raikkonen on Red: the Finnish (just like Sebastian Vettel), loves a very precise single-seater on the front, while Fernando Alonso pointed to that solution just to make the big difference with teammates. Simulation data say it wasn't there the evil of F14T, so the engineers would not have wanted to change all the concepts of the machine."

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh dear god why. Why why why why.

I really hope they're wrong.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I wouldn´t trust that Omnicorse article too much. They´re talking about a Red Bull style nose while in theory that is going to be outlawed for 2015.

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

When is the next gala F-___ whatever presentation of the new car. January?? I guess we will know then how much they kept and changed in terms of front end.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #1866 Igor Ound, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    It seems they will keep the pull rods and change the position of the oil tank from inside the gearbox to a more conventional between the engine and the tub. They did that previously to move the engine as far in front as possible for aero advantages but the little weight at the back created the lack of low speed mechanical grip

The way i see it, this will create even more understeer though. With a rock solid set of suspensions difficult to tune up and even less weight at the front...

17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    David, would you buy Ferrari with Sergio as CEO until his retirement in 2017?

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Never. Lotus used Coventry-Climax, Ford-Cosworth, BRM, Maserati and even Judd engines. Never was an engine manufacturer.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, Lotus designed a DOHC 4cyl. in line to power the Lotus Esprit.
    That engine was also adopted by Jensen-Healey.

Then Lotus developed a V8 based on the same 4-cyl. which was used in the Esprit V8.

Lotus designed the engines for the Sunbeam-Talbot which won the WRC with Frequelin.
    Lotus Engineering was engine consultant for several other firms at the time.
    I don't know if it's the same now.

Lotusalso had a F1 engine on the drawing board at some point, but prefered to use a proven unit instead.

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If I bought Ferrari Sergio's tenure would be a bit shorter.

21. chemistry84

chemistry84 Karting

Feb 12, 2014
    I'd pay for Sergio's sacking to be telecasted live to whoever wanting it in 3D/Ultura HD/ whatever method you want it.

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    My bad, William; standing corrected with trousers about my knees. Can't imagine what was on my alleged mind, thinking only of F1. :-(

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Lotus made their own road car engines - really a cosworth / Ford Twin cam design, but they shared the manufacturing with various BMC companies that used the twin cam engine....

Lotus never made their own Racing engines ever. When Chapman was alive he used Coventry Climax, Ford, and BRM ( H-16 engines) and then Cosworth V-8's. he was around for the very beginning of the Renault turbo installation in 82....

In the road cars they used - pretty much anything they could - Coventry Climax, Renault, BMC, Ford, etc... however their status as a manufacturer is becuase they made all their cars ( F-1 ) in house... and made their own transmissions for a while too.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #1874 VIZSLA, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You're right about racing engines but confusing the Ford twin cam and the later Lotus unit.

Twin Cam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #1875 VIZSLA, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017