MAJOR acne at 40?? WTF?? | FerrariChat

MAJOR acne at 40?? WTF??

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by REMIX, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

This is insane.

No real changes in diet or anything that I can pin down...now I'm breaking out like nobody's business, mostly in the shoulder and neck areas. I'm even getting them on my face here and there and it's embarrassing. My doc wrote a scrip for Bactrim and I've been taking that. So far, not working so good. These things are leaving skin discoloration on my shoulders and back that are taking months to go away. Didn't really start showing up until I began working out very intensely in October...I got them for a while and then they disappeared. Four or five weeks ago - bam - back worse than I've seen it since I was a kid.

I am not under really any stress, either.
    No material change in diet.
    Don't know what else to attribute it to. I'm stumped.

Think this could be a trade off from sweating while working out? Maybe visit a dermatologist? I really don't want to go down that road. Grrrr.

RMX

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I changed up my workout routine and have gotten some acne on my back and shoulders. I'm guessing they'll go away the longer I stick to this. Although I've gotten A LOT of tiny bumps on my face. You can't notice them unless you're close and/or shine direct light on it while looking from an angle. I'm guessing it's stress related :confused: Maybe it's also from my workouts? I haven't had acne in quite a while so this is really bothering me.

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Your body did fine for 40 years...so something has changed. It's either physical, or it's hormonal.

Physical: Possibly your skin is not "flushing" enough? Try a really hot sauna twice a day to really open up those pores.
    Hormonal: See a doctor.

4. REMIX

#4 REMIX, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    My other half, she thinks it could possibly be a change to a new laundry detergent. I've gone back to the old detergent right now.

I take very long hot showers...is that as effective?

If the Bactrim runs out with no results, time for the Dr., I agree.

RMX

5. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Detergent will do it, know LOTS of people that that has happened too.

6. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick

Not insinuating you are on steroids here or anything. But you did mention you work out so it could be a supplement you are taking. Any test booster or hormonal

supplements (legal) can lead to some acne especially on the back.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Board Dermatologist here--are you sure it is acne (every white or red bump is not created equal)? A very short list of the long list of possibilities include acne, folliculitis (infected hair follicles), miliaria (basically a heat rash), irritant or contact dermatitis (meaning something your are coming in contact with is pissing off your skin), steroid/hormone side effect, etc. Although extremely unlikely, there are some serious things on the list.

Bactrim is not typically first line for acne, although it can be for folliculitis. It is VERY TOUGH to offer any recs. without you having an exact diagnosis--bottom line, you need to see someone who is good at skin (typically a dermatologist, but some family practice docs, internists, etc. are quite good as well).

One tip--sitting around in sweaty workout close is not a good idea--get them off, and even if you can't shower get into dry clothes.

Good luck.

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    my initial thought too, ANY steroid use, even minor will quickly show up as acne....

oh yeah, not insinuating, just sharing knowledge :)

9. REMIX

Thanks for the post.

To amend my initial post, I did have a small change in diet...Creatine.

Can Creatine cause this? I discontinued it once I felt it may have something to do with the problem. The only other "supplement I take, if you want to call it that, is MetRX. Been using MetRx on and off since 1995, I doubt that's it.

RMX

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm not aware that creatine can do this--but I'm not sure. Sorry.

There are mixed posts on non-medical websites--on medical ones they list "rash" as a possible side effect. However, "rash" is a possible side effect of virtually any medicine, so that is really worthless.

Couldn't hurt to discontinue it though. If your acne clears, it may make your diagnosis for you.

11. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Creatine doesn't cause acne, however like scotty said anything could cause a rash if your allergic to an ingredient. I would stop taking creatine see if the rash goes away. Also what creatine are you taking? Just regular mono-hydrate? Brand name?

P.S. I feel like I'm the boards rep for creatine with this other thread going on in Health and Fitness lol. I swear I'm not some meat head. HA

12. REMIX

Brand is Met-Rx creatine. Don't know much else about it.

RMX

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My acne actually seemed to get better once I hit the gym harder. Although I do get the occasional zit on my back/shoulders.

While taking really hot showers feel great (i know I take at least 10 minute showers), but bring the temp down a bit. This is going to sound really wierd, but rub an ice cube on your face after you get out of the shower. It will close your open pours (from the hot shower) a lot faster. This was one remedy I've found that works. Not for an extended period of time, just all over for a 15-20 seconds. Or simply even rinse your face with cold water after getting out.

Creatine could cause it. It may not specifically be the creatine, but some other ingredient in the profile. Possibly you've developed an allergy to a certain type of food. Maybe get tested for food allergies. My mom used sweet n low for decades. One day she started getting hives. Someone suggested to her to stop using Sweet N Low. She did and hasn't happened since.

Some other things to do to reduce your facial acne. Wash your face twice a day (morning/night) with a face wash not hand soap (as it will dry your skin). Use a medicine pad prior (Oxy/Noxema/etc) to going to bed and follow up with an OTC acne cream. I use Neutrogena On The Spot cream.

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    To comment on Jason's post:

1) Some of what Jason does would not be a standard acne treatment suggestion, though it may work great for him; and

2) Acne treatment (once again, assuming that's what it is--and based on what the OP said I'm not necessarily convinced) is highly individualized (meaning, what works great for one person may do poorly for another).

The bottom line is that you need to get your skin condition diagnosed FIRST. If it turns out to be acne, then it might be reasonable to consider folks various "what worked for them" suggestions.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Could the root of the problem be transference from shared equipment, like a weight bench?

Might want to spread some Athlete's Face on that. Or not, Yikes.

16. REMIX

The gym is pretty disgusting in general. I carry around a clean (chlorine bleached) towel and hand sanitizer. But there's no escaping the fact that it's a dirty place with dirty people touching things. I'll bet the fecal coliform count in there is through the roof...I don't want to even think about it. This acne is under my shirt, on my shoulders, specifically on my left shoulder.

I do use Sweet N Low.

RMX

17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL. I prefer to go the unorthodoxed route. :D The methods I listed are just rememdies I read about on various websites online just to try out so I wouldn't have to go to the doctor. They just happened to work.

I've tried many acne products through the dermo in my teens early 20's.

I actually did experience fairly bad acne around 20 y.o. and my doc prescribed some sort of pill (it was relatively small half yellow, half orange). It cleared it up and never came back.

Have to agree with Dr. Scott (if it's okay to call you that) that you do need to go to the dermo.

18. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I don't have it anymore, but when I had issues I'd use PanOxyl soap. Found at your local pharmacy, in a week or two all my back acne was gone.

19. Sanj-

Sanj- Karting

Jul 1, 2007
    Vancouver
    ive had shoulder/back acne. best things....

1. antibiotics
    2. tanning beds

go and lay in a tanning bed for 8-10 minutes or so tommorow, if you dont feel better the day after, ill never return to this forum.

Sanj

20. REMIX

Well, so I'm going to see the dermatologist on Thursday. This is ridiculous - now I've gotten a giant red pimple on my nose and it hurts like hell. I have probably 10 on my left shoulder in a very small circular area...they're very deep and very painful, and one on my right shoulder, plus a few on the back of my neck below where my hairline starts. The ones on my left shoulder are actually leaving scars and I'm not doing anything to aggravate them. The discoloration alone is really alarming.

I will report back after she takes a look.

RMX

21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
  22. REMIX

Could be, not really sick or anything, but a few things pop out at me from the Mayo clinic site:

# Participating in contact sports. CA-MRSA has affected sports teams. The bacteria spread easily through cuts and abrasions and skin-to-skin contact.
    # Sharing towels or athletic equipment. CA-MRSA has spread among athletes sharing razors, towels, uniforms or equipment.

From Wikipedia:

In the United States, there have been increasing numbers of reports of outbreaks of MRSA colonization and infection through skin contact in locker rooms and gymnasiums, even among healthy populations. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine[45] linked MRSA to the abrasions caused by artificial turf. Three studies by the Texas State Department of Health found that the infection rate among football players was 16 times the national average. In December of 2007, a high school football player died from MRSA-infected turf burns.[46] MRSA has also been found in the public school systems throughout the country

Certainly fits the profile from what I'm reading. I hate the sanitary conditions at the gym but have no real alternative at the moment.

RMX

23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The dermatologist you see should readily be able to sort it out. If it turns out to be MRSA, don't necessarily assume that it is the gym (although it sounds like it should be high on your list of suspects). We see MRSA virtually daily in our office, and most cases are not gym related.

Just FYI.

24. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    slightly OT, but just heard a guy at my local Gold's had a serious case of MRSA. I'm wondering what are the odds it actually came from the gym? Granted it's a nice breeding ground...but is the finger just pointed there for that reason?

As for the acne, been through that. ABS cleared it up and mostly stayed away, although still get some on face and back. I think I've seen more since hitting the gym hard (past 5+ yrs)...thinking it's hormonal, more testosterone? Who knows, I'm waaay out of my field :)

25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason