MADNESS...Sebass gets 25 seconds. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

MADNESS...Sebass gets 25 seconds.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Etcetera, Oct 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I doubt it. Lewis will have to have enough lead that Massa can win Brazil (to make the SA fans happy) and Lewis can finish second or third and still take the championship (to make the Brits happy ... and to make up for him giving it away last year).

I still haven't seen any video on the event that shows whether Bourdais came unstuck before or after the contact.

2. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    lol Bourdais gets 25 seconds penalty which conviniently move Masa into 7th position giving him extra points to close in on Hamilton?

Oh wow, I am a huge Massa and Ferrari fan, but if Massa wins the championship this year due to that one extra point I will have a fit.

3. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Compared to the two points he gained when Lewis was penalized at Spa? (phil +2, lewis -4, total +6)
    Or the 10 points he lost to the pit fiasco at Singapore, or the four points he lost to the idiot pit strategy at Monaco, or the ten points he lost at Hungary, ...

I'm pretty sure Lewis is scripted to win this season, but not until the last race.
    They're going to ridiculous measures to keep it close.

Consider: if Lewis and Phil finish the season with equal points, then it comes down to number of first place finishes.
    So how would you count Spa?

The worst managers are micro-managers.
    The BM boys are on a power trip.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    THAT is actually the only question I have:

Is this bias pro Ferrari because it is Ferrari (Mad Max hates McLaren and is best buddy with Todt et al) or is it because Bernie wants to sell TV ad time and tickets for the remaining races?

The stewards decisions made no sense and clearly favored Ferrari/Massa. Only question is why?

I'm also starting to wonder how to watch/enjoy F1 in the future? Should I mentally mark the 15th race as the final one and just ignore whatever happens thereafter? I wouldn't be able to enjoy Kimi's title though. What's a fan got to do? Believe all is well with the stewards and wait for Santa Claus?

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

For me it´s all about Bernie´s money, absolutely.

I suppose they´ll sell more caps if Hamilton wins, and that´s what is going to happen, but not without some action first, of course.

6. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Hamilton and Massa definitely deserved drive-throughs - both were desperate lame excuses for a pass. Lewis did not brake and forced much of the field off track. Massa, who is perhaps the weakest passer in the field, cut across the corner, using a combination of bumps and grass, to blatently ram Lewis.

Massa can't even pass under easy conditions and turned into Bourdais even though he had the momentum to easiliy finish an outside pass. SB was into the turn on the line and the penalty was completely wrong. For the stewards to wait until the end of the race to make a decision when there was plenty of laps left for a drive-through makes the decision stink even more.

7. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I still watch because I find it interesting to see how the script is writen in attempts to make idiots out of us all. The other reason is becuase I enjoy betting some of the longshots that come in with this script. In the last race I had money on Massa and Alonso......Alonso was 16-1 WHOOOAAA!!!!

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where is your money now? On Kubica?

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    James Allen from itv.com:

"Bourdais came out of the pit lane, with Massa well over to the left on the run to the first corner. Massa drove like a man who felt that a Toro Rosso had no business being in his way and should let him pass.

Bourdais did everything he could to avoid a collision, even putting his inside wheels on the kerbs, but Massa came across and spun around him.

He might argue that he had his front wheels in front, but the team managers I spoke to after the race all said that FIA race director Charlie Whiting had briefed them in Singapore and again in Fuji that the car exiting the pits has right of way."

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Massa's bonehead move on Webber deserved a penalty but got none. Old phil is the chosen one right now and there's nothing he can do wrong.

11. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The voice of the new F1 generation: Passing on track -- that's not allowed!! :rolleyes:

What is it about Massa that draws all this fire? He doesn't pass, he gets flamed. He does pass, and he still gets flamed.
    Is it just that people who aren't feeling good about themselves are compelled to hate everyone else, too?
    The economic down-turn seems to be making people cranky. ;)

The Webber pass was some of the classiest racing we've seen all year: Massa went down the inside. (We all saw how well the outside worked for Kimi.) Webber defended to the limit -- but not beyond it, and yielded the position when it was lost. Kudos to Webber for doing it right.

Frankly, I'd have written off both the Massa-Hamilton and Massa-Bourdais contacts as racing incidents. When you leave the other guy nowhere to go, you pay the price.

But Lewis paid a heavier price than he should have. That's where a paved run-off comes in handy, so you can get turned back around without having to wait for the track to empty.

On the other hand, that pass wasn't a very bright move on Lewis' part, after having ripped his tires down to the cords, and knowing he was going to have to pit anyway. If Massa had known that, too, then defending to that degree was also not very bright. But I don't know if Massa was aware of the upcoming Hamilton tire stop.

Lewis certainly was aware of it. So passing Massa under those circumstances was worthless .... unless Lewis intended to contact Massa.

12. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Certainly the Massa-Bourdais pass was just a racing incident as you said. The early-race bump and spin tactic was a little too "Nascar" for me. Maybe I'm crazy but Massa passed Webber on the pit exit - he wasn't on the track. Those lines are there for a reason and I'm surprised it hasn't been noted by anyone else. Had a car been exiting the pit when Massa was blowing by Webber on the inside, there would have been a potential impact with a speed differential of 120 mph give or take a few. I'm a Massa fan but what some people might call aggressive driving, others might call (w)reckless. :)

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When Massa first commited to going up the inside of Weber, he was not at the pitlane yet. He was between Weber and the wall. When they got to the pitlane Weber force Massa over to his left. I cant see how anyone can say that he had a choice....he didnt.

14. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I agree... Webber tried to squeeze him. Stupid move by Webber... you shouldn't squeeze someone into the pit exit you idiot! BUT! Having said that, Massa should have braked and gotten back in behind Webber. And then Ferrari should have called on the stewards for a drive-thru for Webber. IMO.

To me, doing something as stupidly dangerous as driving over into the pit exit is a recipe for disaster. Webber's stupid for pushing him like that and Massa is stupid for going through with it and putting safety 2nd.

15. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yep. I think we will see a lot of dumb ass moves in the final 2 races as both Lewis and Massa want this real bad.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    So did Bourdais appeal the penalty??

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.

I would think not. That is if he wants an engine for next race :D

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

There was no protest. Interesting comments from Berger interview about the Massa/Bourdais situation:

Although Bourdais lost his points-scoring finish in Japan after being punished for a collision with Felipe Massa, Berger is adamant his driver did nothing wrong.

"It was a racing accident," explained Berger. "Bourdais was inside, if Massa had given him two centimetres more space both cars would go around the corner, so I wouldn't think it's Bourdais's mistake at all. But I wouldn't say it was Massa's either. It was a racing accident. Nothing happened anyway – in a racing situation, two cars touching is a normal thing."

When asked if he felt there were too many penalties being handed out at the moment, Berger said: "I don't want to comment on it because it's not where we should discuss this. But I like more to see racing.

"If there are some incidents that are reasonable racing accidents, not something crazy, I would like to see them let it go. Investigations are important, but too many are found guilty."

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    These guys are racing, I don't think either Massa or Bourdais should have been penalized. Neither one did anything intentionally to the other. When they penalised Massa for ramming Hamilton, that was a joke as well. These stewards are a bunch of Jack Asses. All three events were racing incidents, period.

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It stinks, and if any bright spark thinks otherwise more fool them.

21. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1

If there was a barrier at the pit exit instead of painted lines Massa probably wouldn't have tried to pass on that side to begin with. With more paved runoff and less defined track borders, drivers pay less of a penalty for stretching the edges of the course. Paved runoffs may be safe and they may allow more cars to come back from off course excursions but they encourage drivers to challenge where the track is and where it is not. Case in point, if there was gravel on the outside of turn one at Fuji, there probably would have been two McLarens sitting in gravel while the rest of the pack continued with the race. Instead, both drivers continued on.