Lurkers -- come out and play | Page 37 | FerrariChat

Lurkers -- come out and play

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    welcome to community!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    welcome!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats on the 599 GTO, a special car!

4. NTRLOPER

NTRLOPER Karting

Mar 3, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerry
    Hey folks,

I've enjoyed reading the boards for the last year or so and occasionally have posted as I move towards my first purchase. I live in Austin, formerly Manhattan Beach, CA so I'm glad to have a bit more space to roam but we do miss the weather!

I got hooked on Ferraris as a boy....I used to spend a lot of time in public libraries while my mom studied to finish her degree and I would endlessly pore over any automotive magazine I could find and search the card catalogs for anything auto-related. Ferrari always stood out to me, and I eventually saved up my allowance and bought Ferraris For the Road, a coffee table book of sorts that I still have. I also bought a 1:18 Burago 250 TR model that I would play with for hours (and also still have). I told myself that someday I would be a Ferrari owner....and although it's taken me longer than I originally hoped (42 now), I'm still happy to be at that point and looking forward to my first purchase. We're in the midst of finishing our 3rd major home renovation in 5yrs and we have a ton of travel planned through August.....after that all settles I'll start to get focused on a purchase.

So at the end of this year I'll start a serious search for an OTO 612 Scaglietti. I've always favored front engined v12 models, so that's the one I'm focusing on for now. Having 2 children under 11 also is factoring in, as I travel all week so when I drive the car on the weekends I need enough room to bring more than a +1 if I want to drive it often. Ideally someday I'd also like to own a 550 and a TR, but those will have to wait.

Years ago on a flight I sat next to one of the top Ferrari concourse judges (can't recall his name....John maybe?) and he was a fantastic ambassador of the brand. He said that I'd find the Ferrari community to be full of great people and a much different place than the general public assumes it would be.....I've found that to be true, so thanks for fostering such a great place to share insights, opinions, and knowledge!

I'm heading out to LA with my son for the Enzo birthday drive on the 24th, so maybe I'll bump into some of you there!

Kerry

5. David_M

David_M Rookie

Feb 20, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
    Hello everyone. My name is David and I am from the Dallas area. I am here to learn more about the different models in hopes of making a purchase in a year or two.

6. Homer Jay

Homer Jay Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Homer Jay
    Hello to all here at Ferrari Chat. Well I could vacillate no longer and finally picked up a 360 Spyder. It was delivered To the Arizona Border from California and I drove it home. A very pleasant drive indeed. I have to thank many on this forum as It has been a wealth of information as a guide to purchasing as well as maintaining a Modena.

Cheers
    Lance

7. aenemated

aenemated Rookie

Feb 24, 2018
    Hollywood, CA
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Ok ... I'll play.

Short story ... motoring enthusiast. Happy resident of fabulous Hollywood, California. Fortunate software engineer (old guy in the biz). Musician. Currently driving a Porsche 997. Big fan of Rottweilers. And looking to step up to Ferrari. Hence joining this fine group.

My one question for you fine folks - and I'm sure it's been asked a ton of times - what makes a great daily driver? I'm one who believes a car should be driven. The handful on my radar include a California, a 480 and a 360. I'm very new to Ferrari in terms of model specific and I want to learn which way to go.

I got nothing to teach here, so I'm looking to learn.

Cheers!

8. John JR

John JR Rookie

Apr 5, 2018
    Saint Louis
    Full Name:
    John W Renz
    Hello all,
    I am new to FerrariChat. I joined as I am looking to purchase my first Ferrari and this looked like a great place to learn from current owners. In the past I have had Porsche’s and Corvettes. Had been thinking about a Lamborghini but they are just too difficult to climb in to these days. What is the best way to find a local shop to do a PPI? Thanks, John

9. Nephroghost

Nephroghost Rookie

Apr 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sai Nayar
    Hello everyone,
    Joined here to learn more about the F cars. I’m a huge car guy and Motorsports enthusiast who went to the USGP in Austin as well as WEC over the past few years. Always loved Ferrari’s since I was a kid and watching Michael Schumacher in Ferrari’s hay days. Went to Indy for F1 in ‘03 when he was still on the team. I’m a big Porsche guy and have owned an ‘08 C4S, ‘10 turbo and currently have a ‘16 GT4 which I track and love! I tracked my other Porsche’s as well. In the last few weeks I got the F bug and was a bit surprised and happily so looking at the price ranges of 360/430/458 cars. I’m researching the 430’s now and would prefer a manual but I know they are difficult to find and much more expensive. Just trying to learn more about these cars and enjoying the hunt. Always been my dream to own a Ferrari and can’t even believe its possible but it very well may be! Looking forward to learning more on these forums. Thanks!

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Welcome aboard!

11. ethanduolee

ethanduolee Rookie

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ethan Duo Lee
    What's up guys, just joined a week or few ago because of my soon to be Ferrari. Hope to have a lot of fun with all of you and wish you all the best.

12. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hello FChat,

My Name is Patrick and I have been lurking for quite some time. My childhood friend swithced over from Porsche to Ferrari a few years ago and has been trying to get me to make the jump. He is on his 2nd Ferrari a beatiful 458 and I am looking to upgrade from my 2008 Porsche Turbo. I Found a really Nice 2013 California 30 and I am close to pulling the trigger.

I am concerned over long term reliability, I have had 5 Porsches and (other than my new Cayenne S) no issues of any significance.

The Cali 30 will come with the one year power warrantee but its $5700, From what I see on the forum the 8cyl should be $4500? Does anyone know if the price has increased since those latest posts or is the dealer overcharging me for it?

Great to finally join the Boards, hopfully I can work out the deal for this California and become a Ferrari guy!

13. JoeErkenbrecher

May 22, 2018
    Rocklin
    Full Name:
    Joseph Erkenbrecher
    Hello all,
    Just joined today. I have been a Ferrari fan since around 1980, Magnum PI made it easier to explain what car I was talking about. :)
    About a year ago a very good friend allowed me to babysit his 2001 360 F1 Modena and I have become addicted. It took a dream and made it a need. Everything about these cars is beautiful, the shape, the design, the leather, the paint, the sound, the smell of the heat coming off the engine, every part of any Ferrari is beautiful.
    To all who have one of these works of art, please get them out and drive often, share the beauty with the rest of us.
    For now I will continue to dream whenever I see or hear that flat-plane-crank driving down the road.
    Thank you.

14. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi all -

Figured I'd do this thread as well, even though I've tried to be an active poster on here since late 2016.

My name is Matt, and I've been a Ferrari fan all of my life - I think it's in my heritage. I like to say that my blood runs Rossa Corsa. My bloodlines make me 1/4 Italian, and we can trace my mother's side of family to the southern Piedmont/Lombardy region of Italy. I've been 'back' to Italy twice now, and have been to Maranello and Fiorano - it felt like 'home'.

My first visit to Italy included my mother, and I dragged her and my brother to Maranello. She didn't know what to expect, but still proclaims the day trip to be the highlight of our 1998 visit to the country. She was also bitten by the F-car bug. In the late 60s, my father let another girl 'borrow' his at-the-time girlfriend's (now my mom) MG-A, and she promptly totaled it. My dad then insisted that he'd eventually buy my mom a Ferrari to make up for it.

We started a search for the 'right F-car' in 2013, and came very close to picking up an Argento/Rossa 348ts, but that deal never made it to paper due to deferred maintenance issues. We also briefly chased a very unique 1994 348ts Serie Speciale (#36, Bianco over Beige), but that one slipped through our fingers. On a visit to my house in the Carolinas, I took my dad to a local exotic dealership, where there was a 348tb and a 355 Spider (gated, of course) on offer. The '97 355 turned out to be my mom's choice and it was delivered to their home in Vermont a few weeks later. Of course, the Spider is Rossa Corsa over beige.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I serve as their technical and repair advisor for the car, and I get to drive it when I visit annually. It's a true thrill, and I am counting the hours until my trip there at the end of the month. Honestly, I am looking forward to the engine-out next summer, as I also enjoy wrenching on cars.

I've built dozens of scale models over the years, each one better and more detailed than the last, with a preference given to Ferrari in the collection. I was collecting Ferrari models before I was in high school, and still have some of those early models in my collection. I build models of the F-cars I love, and those include the 575 SuperAmerica, the 599 SA Aperta, the 312T F1, the F2000 F1, and at least 20 others. Here's the most recent, a 328 GTB in 1:24 scale:

When I travel for work, I try to seek out museums that have Ferraris in them, but will always visit a highly-rated car museum as I am obsessed with all cars. I love watching auctions and visiting car lots on the weekends alike. Classic Remise in Berlin and Autostadt in Wolfsburg are two that I cannot recommend highly enough.

I currently drive a 2014 Mustang GT, but I hope that my parents hang onto the 355 and that eventually it becomes mine to take care of. I think that I'll need to stock up on cotton diaper cloths for the 355!

15. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Hi all

Ive recently joined so figured i would post here, My names Ben, im 28 from the UK.

The car is a 93 348 TS in red with tan interior

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Welcome Ben. Always nice to see somebody from the UK here.

17. Ben111

Ben111 Karting

Jun 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks

I see your from manchester, Cant be far from myself then as i live close to stockport

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Astley/Tyldesley.

19. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Same here!

20. Darkhorse1958

Darkhorse1958 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grande
    HI my name is Steve. I live in Wisconsin, USA. Since we only get about six months of decent driving weather here, my sports cars have always been pretty low mileage. I retired early a few years ago, at 56; I'm 59 now. Since I don't commute, I have driven my Corvette and my last three Porsches #500 - 4000 miles per year. Anyway, I am driving a Porsche 997.2 C4S Cabriolet as my fair-weather car.

I have wanted a Ferrari almost as long as I wanted a 911. Guess I should have traded my Austin Healey 3000 Mk III straight-across for that 330 GTC in 1980 during college, but no, I was intimidated by the V12 and I loved the drop top. Maybe I should have sprung $26,000 for the 250 California Spyder instead of fighting it out for that 289 Shelby Cobra in '84, which I lost when I dropped out at $28,000 and it sold for $30,000. But, of course, hindsight is 20/20 and we all have those painful memories. Hell, I remember when a 246GTS was $35,000 at Ferrari of Houston but the sales guy didn't take my 25 year old baby face seriously and told me I'd be better off with a Honda Accord. Jerk, I had a Volkswagen Scirocco as my daily; the Dino was to upgrade from my MGB.

But, I'm not bitter and I'm back looking at the fold again with more money and newer cars. After twenty years of Porsches and even more years of BMWs as dailies, I am again excited about owning a Ferrari.

So, to the point. I am ready to explore Ferrari ownership at the ripe old age of 59. I am willing to spend about $80,000, $130,000 if I sell the Porsche, but less is more. I would like to have at least one topless sports car.

So, my questions revolve around what to buy for my first Ferrari, and why to choose that model. I am used to Porsche reliability, annual service for a few hundred plus the occasional $500 repair. Rock solid cars if you select the right models and do not defer maintenance. My C4S seems to be holding it's value well. Two years on and it's worth what I paid for it.

I have been thinking about 360s, 430s, and Californias, but have not bothered anyone for a test drive yet. I am used to manual transmissions and have always had manuals in sports cars, but am willing to consider an F1 gearbox. If I were to go for a newer 911 Turbo, I would certainly consider a PDK.

I will be grateful for any suggestions, with reasoning, as to which model might suit me best. To recap, I am looking for fun to drive, reliable, reasonable maintenance, minimal depreciation, and hopefully a drop top.

Thanks in advance for your support.

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Welcome.

I've owned (Ferrari specific) to date, A 1983 Mondial QV, 1997 F355 and now have a 2001 360 Manual coupe. I thought I preferred the F355 for looks because I lusted after one. Whilst mine was not bad I had a few issues and decided ot swap it for the 360. I now love the curvy lines of the 360 over that of the flatter F355 (prepares to be flamed :eek::p)
    I love this car and it has been my favourite Ferrari (and car) so far. I have almost 40k on the car and it drives superbly. Feels plenty quick enough, sure footed and whilst easy to get the tail out it will come back nicely in the dry but perhaps not the wet.
    I'm in my third year of the 360 and due for its second belt service the end of this year. My F355 I only belted it once (mid ownership) and although by US standards it was still cheap (we do get ours serviced much cheaper here than in the US it seems) it cost me £3600 ($4750 apx) which is double what my 360 costs. In Europe Ferrari recommend belts (where applicable) every 3 years, it's five in the US so there is a potential saving right there despite more expensive service prices.
    Whilst I like the California I see it less of a Ferrari and a little more mainstream looking. Still not bad at all mind. If I manage to change my 360 before I retire (I'm 54) then it would be a 458.
    I think all three of your choices seem good. As with any second hand car problems unexpected can occur and a professional inspection I would recommend on any car you consider.

22. Darkhorse1958

Darkhorse1958 Rookie

Jul 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grande
    Thank you very much for your considered response about your 360. I am leaning in that direction and considering going for a test drive soon.

23. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi guys and gals!

Just joined the forum today since I’m starting my quest for Ferrari ownership next year! I’m still learning the ins and outs of the models and know that I’m wanting something in the early to mid 90s and am leaning on the 348 Spyder. Seems to fit what I’m looking for. I’d love a Testarossa, but they seem to be climbing out of sight and the wife would love a convertible.

I’m no stranger to classics and performance cars, but Ferrari’s are something i don’t know much about and am eager to learn. I’ve restored plenty of 60s muscle cars ground up, and with that, I do 100% of everything myself: all mechanics, rust repair, paint, interior, etc. l love every facet of restoring cars and find the build more fun than driving the car afterwards. The newest thing I’ve owned that sort of fits into this “super car” category is a 97 Viper GTS which I did some extensive work on as well.

One thing that I’m leary about in regards to Ferraris is the maintenance. But then again, everyone told me the Viper was special and had its own issues too. I ripped that thing apart and replaced all the engine gaskets, exhaust, brakes, and numerous other things with no problem. Yes, not the easiest (or cheapest) thing to do, but I did do it all myself. I’m hoping that with something like a 90s model, I may be able to do required maintenance myself too.

Nice to meet you guys. I’ll have questions on my search I’m sure

Cheers
    Dave

PS: next year I plan on building a BMW 507 replica from scratch with my own chassis design to get make an accurate as possible replica to put next to the future Ferrari!

24. Kirpal Padawan

Dec 25, 2018
    Casadega
    Full Name:
    Kirpal P. Padawan
    Hi. I'm Kirpal. I have just started this chat of Ferrari individuals, but I have loved Ferrari for most of my lifetime. I hope to make many friends who share the enthusiasm of myself for the prancing horse. I would like to welcome myself and all other lovers. Cheers!

25. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    Hello!

I'm Dan Savage. I'm currently driving a 2003 Corvette convertible. I was considering the purchase of the new mid-engine Corvette. As expected with any new design, there are production delays. This has given me a chance to take a step back and reconsider my options.

During this time I came to realize that, for the same amount of money, the purchase of a Ferrari is a viable option. Price-wise, I'm looking at anything in the 308, 328, 348 or Mondial family of cars. I'm not ready to purchase at this time. In the mean time I'm reading up on the cost/quirks of ownership, technology, etc.

In reading this site I am pleasantly surprised to see a very active DIY contingent of owners. I'm also pleased to see that, like the Corvette world, there are known issues and solutions to fix them.

I'm looking forward to learning more and getting to know the folks on this forum. I'm located in SoCal. (South OC) I'm sure there are a few FC members located in my area. If you see a guy in a 50th Anniversary `vert `vette wave at you, that's me. Wave back!

Dan

Melon767 likes this.