Lucas gear oil vs Redline MTL | FerrariChat

Lucas gear oil vs Redline MTL

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I posted several comments re this in a different thread but thought I would write this separately since it was just a 'subset" of the other thread.

I said in the other thread that I couldn't tell any real difference between the two but after more driving, including some runs this morning, I have determined that there IS a slight difference between the Lucas and the MTL in my '89 328.

The Lucas 75W90 feels a bit "notchy" in its shifts compared to the MTL. I'm not sure that's the best way to describe it but the lever placement does not feel quite as smooth as I shift the gears. OTOH, the Lucas shifts better from neutral to reverse. The MTL pretty much required a shift to 1st before going to reverse to avoid grinding. The Lucas handles that better - I shifted to reverse from neutral quite a few times with no clashing. I don't notice any difference in the cold 1st to 2nd shift with either gear oil. FWIW, the Motul synthetic that was in the car (freshly changed) previously had very notchy shifting and very difficult 1-2 shift when cold.

So now I would say that on my 328, MTL shifts "smoother" in normal gear changes. Lucas shifts better into reverse. Both seem about the same shifting to 2nd when cold - neither has a problem.

Since normal shifting between gears is more important to me than having to shift into 1st before going to reverse, I would go back to Redline MTL when I do the next gearbox oil change. But for me the difference is not enough to justify changing the oil again (after two weeks) to go back to Redline.

I went with the Lucas because I had it on hand and had never tried it in the 328.

maurice70 and miketuason like this.
  2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Isn’t it amazing how we can feel the subtle differences with our cars down to the type/brand of oil that is being used.

God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.

Niki Lauda

Dane and lm2504me like this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, I changed my mind AGAIN! :( After a drive today I ordered the MTL and will change the gear oil when it arrives. The mind is a terrible thing... ;)

4. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    #4 ProvaMo, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Mike- this is the thread I was hoping you'd provide: Same car, same driver, 3 different gearbox lubricants.
    Thanks for providing a controlled test with detailed feedback.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yeah, it's the only gearbox oil I use. Tried 'em all, prefer redline. If you're adventurous, you can check and clean the filter when you do the oil change. QV and later along with mondials have internal pumps and a filter.