LR4 or Gl450 ? | FerrariChat

LR4 or Gl450 ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vf430, Dec 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    I have been debating between 2012 land rover LR4HSE LUX and a 2010 GL 450. Appreciate if anyone who has owned these SUV's can share your thoughts, pros and cons. This is for my wife to drive most of the time. We will replacing her BMW x5 4.4 with one of these 7 seater suv.

We test drove both cars. She liked the LR4 better for the suv like ride compared to gl car like ride. But i am not fully convinced of its looks and reliability. Although i have heard that after Tata ownership things have improved greatly.

I personally like the brand new 2013 Gl450 but its 70 k vs 45 k lr4. If LR4 is good i would rather spend less than more. she typically keeps her cars for 5 years or longer and drive 20 k miles per year. So long term reliability and cost of ownership is important.

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Can't speak to reliability of the Merc, though I've heard not the best things. Land Rover seems to have gotten their act together with regards to reliability. LR4 is also much less popular and much more appealing to me. Also, I think the LR4 looks much better. Some GLs look good, but they're usually optioned out 550s.

I think it's also important to mention what she'll be using the car for. If the usability of the third row is very important, the GL may be a bit more useful.

3. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    So I have driven the LR4 alot because my Range Rover Sport Supercharged spent so much time in the shop and that is the loaner car. Personally I don't see why anyone would buy the LR4. You get all the hassles of poor reliability without the look or performance you will find in the Sport.

I owned a 2007 GL450 and I never had any problems with it. The ride is smooth, power is there, and overall it is a very good car. Now that the new body style is out, you should be able to get some great deals on the "old" body style. My complaint with the GL was it was too big for me (long) and I never used the 3rd row seat so why have such a big SUV.

So yes, GL450 all the way-

4. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We have an LR3 and adore it. Not a single issue in 5 years of ownership and it gets driven hard. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    My wife owned an 08 Gl450 and we sold it and got her a 12 LR4. We have 3 small boys I might add. They are very different rides. I liked the GL and felt like it drove more like a car. The GL had more "electronic goodies" - for example 3rd row would go up and down with the press of a button, same with the rear hatch. The 3rd row felt a little tight.

My wife absolutely loves her new LR4. Even though it is a tad more spartan in comparison, e.g. 3rd row is put up manually, it's a very well made car. It has all of the advanced off-roading technology, if you are into that. The 3rd row can fit a 6 ft+ person in the back very comfortably. The drive and transmission are very smooth. I tow my race vehicle with it with no issues. We have put on 16000 miles in one year ownership with no issues whatsoever. If you buy a '12 LR4, you'll have the factory warranty without having to worry.
    The LR4's have the updated body styles in regards to the fenders matching the body paint in comparison to the LR3's.
    IMO it's the best value for a 7 seater SUV. We also had a previous RR HSE, but we need 7 seats so options are limited.

6. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Both companies have had their problems with reliability. I'd go with what she prefers, keep her happy.

7. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Thanks for all the feedback.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am on my second GL. They drive great but are not exactly built like a 300sel 6,3 of yore.
    The suspension has rattles and clonks as did the prior one and mercedes has no clue how to fix. on the highway they really drive great, endless usrge and good steering. The escalade I just rented is a total pos in comparison.

I tried an LR4. the ride was a bit worse and the car more ponderous especialy on the highway. The rear seats are a bit of a pain to put up, so like in our old acura you use them less. But if it was a choice between a new LR4 and a used Merc I would go with the new car. You know what youre getting it will last a bit longer and you have a warranty.
    Mercedes seems to be an iffy proposition once they get above 60K miles anything that goes wrong can be mighty expensive. On the other hand a great Gl can be had for 35K. If it were me I would go for the LR4. In fact I would have gotten one over the last Gl but the wife prefered the Gl as she had had one before, so for you its easy. you know what they say, happy wife happy life.