Lowe's Unveils "Smart Home" System | FerrariChat

Lowe's Unveils "Smart Home" System

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 4re Nut, Jan 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledia/2012/01/09/lowes-unveils-smart-home-system/

Great, one more way my wife can put the thermostat on 80...and then password protect it. :( :D

2. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I am breathing a little life back into this thread...but for my purposes! We are building a new home and I am looking for some electronics tips from this forum. I am already thinking of putting WiFi on the ceiling (as in commercial applications) and dim switches for LED can lights.

But that is all I can come up with. So, I need some advice on what else to put in the house. I hear Cat 5/6 throughout makes sense...but what would I use it to do? Or, am I even going to have a land line anymore? Wall plates will have USB ports as well. What about the alarm system? Or, a fancy doorbell with cameras around the perimeter of the home?

Any advice is much appreciated.

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    and now it has failed and lowes is offering refunds

5. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That is correct. I got $285 back. Bought a Hubitat hub for $99. It doesn't need the cloud and operates on the local network. They rolled out an update last week that supports most of the Lowe's legacy devices. Works well!