Lowering a 456GT | FerrariChat

Lowering a 456GT

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bmyth-FDC, Jul 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    After I put on my new 19" wheels, I noticed that there was still a considerable wheel-well "gap" on my car. Hence, I thought about lowering it a bit.

Has anyone had any experience lowering a 456GT?

Do these cars have coil-overs? If so, is it easy to adjust?

Thanks!
    Byron

2. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Lowering Ferrari 348, F355, 550

Just pop your wheels off and take a look for the threaded spring perch yourself. May be hidden by grime, wipe with a rag under the lower spring perch.

Rob

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

B,

I got the tools to do the job. You need to find the 456 motion ratio in the WSM and the rest is easy but I'm doing my major now so it will have to be the week of 7/18...

Will fix Ferraris for giggles...

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Yo C,
    Week of the 18th sounds fine to me... can we do this after work one day? How long do you reckon a job like this will take?

Btw, thanks for the tip and link, Rob!

B.

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe 30 minutes/corner but you have to get the front and rear motion ratio from the WSM before we touch anything otherwise you mess up the chassis rake.

6. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Byron:

Take notes, when I get my 19" set for my 456, I will want to do the same. Make sure to take before and after pictures.

Mark

7. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes please. Post here whatever you can (no pics no prob, but brain dump lessons learnt).
    Thanks
    J.

8. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Well guys,
    I did it... I spent the better part of yesterday lowering my 456GT with my friend... It was a decently "straighforward" process but NOT as easy as every says it is, for sure! I still have to make some final adjustments (might have to raise the back-end about 0.5"), but visually, it is definitely an improvement!!!... can't wait to see how it changes the handling characteristics in the twisties or on the track!

I'll be sure to post some pictures and some detailed step by step instructions later... there's a handy trick for the rear-end that's well-documented in the shop manual, too!

Byron

9. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Are you looking to put some 19" rims to go with the lowered stance..

Please send pics asap...

Ron

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It's a GT 2+2! A GT needs a higher sidewall for a smoother ride.Go back to the stock set-up and be happy. If you want a sports car, buy a 550.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I apologise in advance if this is daft, but what's a WSM?

Thanks.

--Matt

12. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Thanks for the suggestion - my last car was a 348 challenge and I fully enjoyed it as well... I know this is a GT car, but there's no crime in enjoying a more aggressive look and better handling characteristics! Have you ever driven a 456GT on a track? Don't knock it til you've tried it - it is phenomenally fun!

B.

13. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Ron,
    I have 19" Kinesis Motorsport K19R wheels on it...
    Here are some pictures (pre-lowering and with all my player's run stickers on it)... the car doesn't have the stickers anymore...

http://www.ferraridrivingclub.com/downloads/

Byron

14. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    WSM = Work Shop Manual

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Where's the pics of the new 'lowered' ride????

16. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Jim - they are forthcoming... I'm finishing up the step-by-step instructions right now...I'll try to upload them along with the pictures later tonight.

Byron

17. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Newsflash! The 550 is a GT car too, smartypants.

Byron: was shopping for new wheels, and saw (your) 456 on the site, and thought it could use a drop, to match the new wheels; looking forward to reading your DIY.

18. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    How much of the under nose-body would you like to scrape off? Do not lower your 456.
    Winston

19. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey guys,
    Here are the step by step instructions - it was too large to attach onto fchat, so I uploaded it here instead:
    http://www.ferraridrivingclub.com/downloads/Lowering a 456GT.doc

It was a fun experience overall - thanks to fatbillybob for helping me out! :) The car is more responsive on turns now (but still needs an alignment)... plus, I'm absolutely thrilled about how it looks! I achieved a ~0.75" drop in the front and ~1.5" drop in the rear (I'll be adjusting the rear up by 0.5" before I go for an alignment).

For those that may venture into trying this, please just use my steps as a reference and make certain you have all tools, manuals, and background knowledge to do this if you choose to try it on your own...

Enjoy!
    Byron

20. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Byron, looks great. Especially with those wheels.

21. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Did you reset toe-in and camber?

You may like the gain in static camber for the track, but your tires tread life will not like the change in toe.

Rob

22. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Rob, you have mail.
    Byron

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    A couple foot notes to Byron's write up. 1) the motion ratios are not in the WSM for the 456. You really need to find these as it makes the whole job easier because you know exactly how many turns= how much you lower. 2) you can estimate the MR by doing some math and just figuring the MR from the first guess from the result of turning the spring collars relative to the initial chassis ride height. So since the shock is 1.5mm per turn if for example 10 turns drops you 15mm you know the MR is 1:1 (the ratio is always somehting else since you ove the ride height trough suspension arms. 3) You can do this wo/ the MR by knowing the factory ride heights and just making sure the lower heights are the same amount lowered front and rear "from factory" but it takes more trial and error=more time 4) this was my first exposure to Ferrari's hydralics. To do this the quickest way you should depressurize the system first so that the car is sitting on springs not part spring part pumped up shock. Then lower the car to where you want it. then reset the hydralics full ladened per the WSM. 5) IMO slip plates are mandatory so you don't have to drive the car around to settle the suspension.

24. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    billy bob: i always thought the motion ratio was used to determine the neccessary damper / shock valving for a given (desired) wheel rate and spring rate combination; as the motion ratio is the amount of damper movement divided by the wheel movement, and is calculated by removing the springs,wheels and anti-roll bars from the car, and measuring the distance b/w the suspension pick-up points at max and min droop v. the change in wheel movement between those settings.
    are you sure that you're not interchanging roll center for motion ratios?
    moreover, i 've never relied on the # of threads to determine how many inches i'm lowering the car. instead, i've always left that up to the scales and cornerweighting, as i've allowed the cornerweights, and cross-weights determine the ride height - since non-aero, fendered tubs like ours aren't all that sensetive or ride height dependant.
    sorry if i've read your comments incorrectly.
    hubert

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal