Low beam out on 72 Dino 246GT | FerrariChat

Low beam out on 72 Dino 246GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Do I need to replace the whole headlamp if the low beam is out?

What are the best sources for Dino parts, and are these headlights available as "something else" that wouldn't have a Dino-sized price? :)

TIA
    Scott

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Scott.

You can replace the bulbs I think. Ferrari UK shows them as available.

Part # #MC3894/6 This part supersedes: 101522, 401414, 14146090, 20083200, 20178109
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    If it was originally an American market car it will have sealed beam headlights (available at any autoparts store) unless the lights have been switched at some time to aftermarket halogen lights. If they are halogen lights you can buy bulbs from a variety of aftermarket sources as well.

5. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    It was an American market car, so I'll check into it. Whats involved in switching to aftermarket halogens? I certainly wouldnt mind giving the car some more daytime visibility and a bit more candlepower at night.

Thanks!
    Scott

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The two most popular brands are Hella and Cibie. The Hellas have a flat face that does not look period appropriate for your car. The Cibie has the nice curved face, and is probably a superior lense design anyway. Here's a good price for them: http://www.cibieusa.com/cibie_main_frameset.htm The 7-HCR is the one you want.

Carellos was probably the factory euro OEM light, but those are pretty pricey suckers when you can find them...The Cibie looks very similar to the Carello, and probably out performs it as well.

7. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Thanks! Any issues with the extra heat produced by a Halogen on the connectors or anything else?

8. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Dave Handa has it right. As for aftermarket halogens, there was a big market in those in the '70s. My first car, a '71 VW Beetle was switched over to Cibie' halogen lights within about 10 minutes of my owning it. Big difference.

The sealed beams were a part of the government's desire to rule against everything that was fun. Euro halogen lights were far superior so of course the gummint had to mandate sealed beams as found on a 61 Chevrolet.

Do a google search for "halogen replacement headlights" and you'll probably find all kinds of stuff. The aftermarket for cars used to be terrific.

Anyone remember Vilem B. Haan?

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the carello headlights were factory original for even the us spec cars. when the low beam is on, the upper portions are lit (think mercedes logo). when you flick it to high beam, the lower portion lights up. although expensive, the carello's are original and functional. unless you are wanting to change the car, stick with the original headlights.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think my carellos set me back $300. Something like that.

They do make an odd appearance when on. Folks have commented on it!!

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $380 total, I knew they were high.

Mine both blew out simutaneously when we were battling some wierd alternator/battery/charging system problem. It was at night and they went white bright, like a flash bulb, then gone!! OUCH!

Replaced 'em once things were under control again!