Love/Hate with boats | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Love/Hate with boats

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Jan 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I love the outboards even if they are really expensive. Probably 25% of the maint. costs vs diesel and the helm control systems are crazy. The ability to use a joystick to dock and do everything brings a lot more people in.
    My boat is 1550HP each side with big props. Idle speed with one engine engaged is 7kts so it just takes a certain amount of skill around a dock or even idling down the intercostal. It's a bridge too far for a lot of people unless you want to have a captain and there are a lot of issues with that.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I crewed a 43ft viking when I was kid, took that boat in and out of the berth and to the gas dock many times.. Twin diesels with big props are great for manuevering, As you know you can even make the boat go sideways.. Joysticks are like paddle shifts they take the skill and rewarding fun out of it.

But yeah a long 30+ft with twin outboards regular controls and those little outboard props cavitating as one motor is in forwards and one reverse, better have lots of patience and not have too stiff a side wind.

We are in the joystick era. I guess they also open up boating to lots more folks.

3. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    All depends on the boat, but I don't like outboards. Grew up fishing the typical NE canyons and running 30-100 miles each way. Driving the OB powered boats was exhausting, unless it was flat calm. Sweet spot seemed to be about 4000rpm. Anything less and the torque just wasn't there, the small props don't help either. Was always playing with the throttles and trim to get things just right. Transitioned into the diesel world and it became a set it and forget it (the throttles) mentality.. Constant speed and rpm no matter what the seas were like. Loved redoing my 31 Bertram and swapping out the 454s for Cummins diesels.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're right, depends upon what you're driving, but working on an outboard sure beats mucking around inside the hull.

5. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    "we don't need no stinkin' workmans comp"
    I'm always surprised the boat doesn't fall off the blocks but they never seem to.
    It's bottom job day- The prop and running gear are prepped and then this goo called Prop Speed goes on to make them slippery in the water and keep stuff from sticking to them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Old saying, A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money.

7. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The boat's already back in the water. I heard two things today that I thought were never heard:
    "It's going to cost less than we estimated and we're done ahead of schedule. "

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Now I know you’re lying.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

BoulderFCar likes this.