Louisville Concours at Churchill Downs | FerrariChat

Louisville Concours at Churchill Downs

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by kvisser, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    I was recently invited to be a judge at the Louisville Concours d'Elegance at Churchill Downs. I started to check the event out and it looks fantastic! I was wondering if there are any Fchat folks thinking about attending. Its on October 4th and the Concours on the 5th.

What is really interesting is that Ferrari is the featured Marquee. Horses and Horsepower! There should be some nice vintage iron there. Its also my understanding that this is the first time the facility will allow something other then a horse in front of the rose lined Winner's Circle. That will be a fabulous backdrop for the award winning cars.

Here is the link: http://www.concourslouisville.com/media.asp

Hope to meet some folks when I'm out there! I've never been to Louisville so I'll need some advice on what to see and experience.

regards

ken

2. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am wondering what kind of turnout this event is going to have. I don't think I am going to be able to make it along with some others I've talked to. Hope it's a good event.

3. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I will plan on being there. From what I have heard, some of the best cars in Louisville will be there from the Patterson collection and others. Throw in 30-40 top Concourse cars and about 100+ other toys like we all have and it will be a good start to grow on. Being at Churchill will be pretty cool for out of towners that decide to come in. If there are a group of F-chatters coming down, maybe we can organize a fun run for those with their cars.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i requested a spot to show one or more cars, waiting for an answer. looking foward to meeting all. mitchell 8596191441

5. ccashen

ccashen Karting

Oct 2, 2007
    I met some fellow F-chatters at the Keeneland show. I plan to attend the Louisville Concours with my grigio '83 308. I'll be in the Ferrari corral of cars not to be judged - show only (I received word that my car has been accepted).

See you there.

Chris

6. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've entered 2.

I'll post in the owners subsection on this board - if you are coming in town and an owner let me know. I"ve got hotel rooms available.

7. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The event should have a great turnout. I received a list of entered cars a few weeks ago and they are doing a good job getting entrants. I received an email this morning which made the following points:

1) One of the rarest new sports cars in the world....the Bugatti Veyron... is coming to our show
    2) The Discovery Channel wants to cover the Concours for their new show, TurboHD
    3) We've signed nationally known head judge: Charley Moyer (Automotive Editor of Chronos Magazine where he covers the international car show circuit, focusing on high-end luxury and sports cars. Charley has judged at more than 50 concours events.)
    4) Our emcee is Ed Lucas (20 years as master of ceremonies, commentator and announcer at national collector car shows, concours and important vehicle auctions around the country.)

The only thing I personally noted from this list of entered cars is that there are not many Lamborghinis. Apparently the Bulls don't want to play with the Prancing Horses at Churchill Downs ;) Though I talked to the owners of the Miura and Espada from the Keeneland Concours and both indicated their interest to making the Churchill Downs show, so we may have a few yet.

I also appreciate those from this forum that have shown interest in the Louisville Concours. The more fchatters we can get there, the better.

8. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #8 kvisser, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
    Charlie Moyer is the gentlemen that invited me to come down and judge. He is a fantastically knowlegable fellow and I look forward to judging with him again.

Also, I'm the Discovery connection. And correction, we are launching a new channel called TurboHD (once we straighten out the squabble with the Dish network) I'm working on a pilot concept for the new channel. I am shooting the event and conducting interviews. I plan to bring a camera man with me but might need a last minute replacement if that doesn't work out. I also might need some assistance photographing the event if there are any photographers out there.

Saturday night there will be a fancy gathering at Millionaire's Row. That should be a very fun night at a wonderful location.

I've never been to Louisville so I look forward to checking the place out.

I'll be rather busy Sunday at the concours between judging and videoing and photographing, but would like to meet any f-chatters if you are about.

regards

Ken

9. robert.davenport

Mar 11, 2008
    Our Inagural Louisville Concours d' Elegance is shaping up to be a spectacular 1st year show. Set inside Churchill Downs on October 4th-5th, we will blend Horses and Horsepower with our feature marque Ferrari. So far, we have 196 Concours Cars coming in from 23 states and we have attracted Mr. Charley Moyer as head Judge, Mr. Ed Herrmann as Grand Marshall, and Mr. Ed Lucas as Master of Ceremonies.

We have 12 Classic ferrari's to date and are looking to get to 20-25.

Here is what we have so far, not including some of the local folks here in Louisville that have top Concours Ferrari's. We expect to pick up 6-8 more here in Louisville.

1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Alloy Body 6 Carb
    1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi
    1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi
    1985 Ferrari 308 GTSi Spider 2 Door
    1966 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2
    1966 Ferrari 330GT 2+2
    1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 (Daytona)
    1997 Ferrari 456 GTA
    1992 Ferrari 512tr
    1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello
    1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS
    1998 Ferrari F355 Spider

I hope this interests each of you.

Go to www.concourslouisville.com to register your Concours Ferrari or for more general information.

10. chaparralman

chaparralman Karting

Jan 30, 2008
    Yes, the Louisville Concours looks like a wonderful time. I am bringing my Lola bodied McKee Can-Am car and staying with a relative who is bringing a V-12 XKE Jaguar. Looking forward to the event!

Casey Putsch

11. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    Got my accpetance package today in the mail, you can add my 87 EURO TR to the list of registered and accepted Ferraris. Looking forward to a great weekend and we should plan on getting together at some point that weekend, hopefully for a drive!

BTW - although I live in the suburbs of DC, I am a KY native, born and raised a true blue man!

12. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    I applied about a week and a half ago to two weeks ago.

Out of habit, I listed my Las Vegas address even though I am in KY at the moment.

Does it normally take this long? Could the info be waiting for me in LV?

Thanks,

[email protected]

13. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #13 Doug, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I received my "no thank you, we are already full" letter last week. I didn't want to show, but I thought that it would be fun to be amongst all the other cars and mine is a little different. One of the organizers actually asked me to submit my car when he showed up for a Porsche club meeting to tell us about the show. I will still go, but it would be more fun to be parked within the show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. #14 EarlyCat, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    LOVE that Porsche!

16. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Ouch!! lol

17. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #17 Doug, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
    Joey
    If you ask Adam, we are both the same car because we are yellow...You should still drop a 3.0 in there

18. It's got a 69 911 tranny, but no engine yet. It will probably be a 911 engine, or a rotary twin turbo :).

19. It's a Fiat, Thanks

20. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Yeah, poor timing on my post...

FWIW I have a soft spot in my heart for Fiats.

21. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    curious, anyone know who's 512tr was accepted?

22. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #22 kvisser, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008

There's a fellow up in Virginia whose 87 Euro TR was accepted. He's real excited about attending. Being a Kentuckian, Churchill Downs is sacred ground for him.

However, if you are talking about the 92 TR, I don't know.

cheers

ken

23. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    So just curious....how much of the money from this event going toward the charity?

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Ken, there are no 92tr buddy. There were 86-91 Testarossa, 92-94 512tr and 95 512M.
    Yep, you are right the 87 Testarossa out of D.C. was accepted but I'm referring to a Ferrari 512tr. Mine was accepted and then I was told another was found. Of course, they may think they are the same car - which they aren't but I just thought another local 512tr was found. Could have only been 1 of 4 512's that I know exist here in Louisville - at least I hope they didn't bump me for an out of state entry. I say take as many entries as you can and underscore the purpose of the event - charity.

Pars - should have the scoop.

25. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don't have the scoop but I can get the scoop. Last I heard was just the 512 TR and Testarossa. Let me see what I can find out.

Somehow I was under the impression it all was, no? Brooklawn is working hard to get this all together. They have 5 or 6 different committees of volunteers working on each aspect of the show. Anything not donated is paid for by Brooklawn. It is my understanding that they make what is left after expenditures.