Lotus Esprit vs Z06 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lotus Esprit vs Z06

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Johnny USA, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    I sell these cars and they tell us these things are in the works. Nothing definite but that should be pretty close. Lotus has always based their thinking on lighter=faster. They also always produce at least 100hp per litre so that is why the engines are always pretty small bore like the 3.5L V-8 they run right now. I mean think about this, the S4S produced 305hp out of a 2.2L chargecooled turbo. Pretty mean and still very fast for what it is.

Chris

2. chrislamborghiniatlanta

chrislamborghiniatlanta Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    I sell these cars and they tell us these things are in the works. Nothing definite but that should be pretty close. Lotus has always based their thinking on lighter=faster. They also always produce at least 100hp per litre so that is why the engines are always pretty small bore like the 3.5L V-8 they run right now. I mean think about this, the S4S produced 305hp out of a 2.2L chargecooled turbo. Pretty mean and still very fast for what it is.

Chris

3. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Anyone looking for a 2000 Esprit?
    Azure blue with 8700 miles.
    very nice!!
    Check out Ferrariads.

4. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Just like to add, what came first the Esprit or a honda NSX? Obviously the Esprit, therefore the Esprit does not look like an NSX. If anything the nsx has some styling cues from the esprit. Although i still dont see to many similarities at all.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The Esprit is 10X the car of the NSx.

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Got that right!

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As if... fools... The esprit is a nice car.. but the only area it is better than a NSX in is straight line accelaration.. and you can fix that with a turbo kit. And the only esprit that is better than a STOCK nsx is 99 up when they actually had a decent interior. HP isn't everything.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, dear God... that is the most naive comment I've ever seen about a Lotus Esprit.

9. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Ha, Um ya and the Esprit driving experience is not all about HP either......

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Only in Ferrarichat can you have a debate about the NSX vs. Lotus Esprit in an "Other Italian" section!! Where's the 'off topic police' when you need them?? LOL

Ken

11. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #36 EspritSE, Jan 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

12. Is the Gallardo E-Gear faster then standard 6- speed. ?

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Sorry, but i HIGHLY disagree The lotus trounces over the Nsx in several areas, first and foremost looks, and exclusivity. It destroys the Nsx in performance, braking,handling and fun to drive. Nsx has better supported seats,interior layout, and shifter feel.

All Nsx guys jump to the Nsx's defense, by saying you can upgrade an Nsx with a Turbo, brakes, etc. Well, the Lotus comes with these features in the firt place. The Lotus's AP brakes are unreal, the Nsx's suck. Ive raced (several times), a Basch Boost Supercharged Nsx that made 400rwhp, in my stock Lotus, and they are about even. Another guy, Rob, did a huge bolt on package, with very dissapointing results, this was also done by a very respected Nsx turbo tuner. The end result is, you can make an NSx, run with a stock Lotus, but what happens when you mod, even slightly mod the Esprit? The Nsx is not even close.

14. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have never seen a lotus than can keep up with Gerry Johnsons NSX or Factor X's NSX. Where are they?

Saying the lotus is better looking is subjective and I would strongly disagree... and the ergonomics are HORRIBLE. The basic car hasn't changed much in 20 years and the 2002 model rear end looks awful. I have never seen a lotus outbrake a NSX either. The NSX had the R&T record for braking from 80 for a long time. To say those brakes are terrible tells me you have no clue allan. Maybe you had a bad NSX allan. A well tuned BBSC will easily beat a stock esprit. Thinking about it. They both weigh near the same. If one is putting down 400 RWHP and one is putting down 350HP at the crank, this is not hard to figure out.

15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    How is that? Have you ever driven either car?

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    NetViper, ive owned not 1, but 2 Nsx's. The cars i bought were also PRISTINE. I can tell you that you may think the Nsx is a better looking car, but the Public, thinks otherwise. With the combined ownership of the both Nsx's of about 3 years, i can tell you firsthand that:

A. The Nsx, doesnt command nearly as much respect from the public as the Lotus does, and truthfully, the Nsx get little, or no attention. The Nsx will get attention from the uninformed, but once they hear its an Acura, they usually quickly dismiss it.

B. The Nsx brakes suck, not only compared to the Lotus, but my 348, 355, Diablo etc. As for the Lotus, i have never driven any other Esprit, accept for mine, and it has the AP brakes, which are unreal. They will put you through the windshield. Any Nsx, whether it be a 91, or an 03 isnt even remotely close.

C. My stock Esprit, against a 92 Nsx, with comptech Headers, exhaust and all the new Mark Basch crap, virtually dead even. Hed pull me down low, id pull up top. Raced dozens of times, was also there when Mark Basch said it was one of his stronger cars. The Esprit is lighter than an Nsx. Also, later Esprits make more power than 350hp.

D. Using Gerry Johnson as an example, is not very good. His car runs 11's In the 120's. Big Deal. He built Robs car, and without the spray, its a turd.

As for fast Esprits, try www.ExtremeEsprit.com . Guy named Johan, ran his Esprit in the 10's at 140mph. Also, Esprits with intercoolers, exhaust, turbos, blow off valves, and race ECU"S make 550rwhp, with just bolt ons.

The Nsx is what it is. A nice daily driveable car, that gives a hint of what an exciting car would feel like. Nothing more, nothing less.

17. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    I'd hate to think what it would cost to mod an Esprit to the level of a Factor X or Gerry Johnson NSX. Even then, what would it do to the maint costs!

The Lotus is a fine car, but others who have owned both sure don't echo Allan's claims. And I seriously doubt Allan's claim of 400rwhp on his BBSC'd NSX. That was the claim for the SC manufacture when he designed the kit, but results have proved much less. Legit numbers I have seen are ~360-370, and that's on a dynojet (known to dyno higher than ither dyno's). I know, I own one (for the moment). It is coming off in favor of a FX turbo, which will embarras any Esprit I have ever heard of.

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Nsx driver, i dont own the Basch car, someone else does. And he was at the dyno when they dynoed it.

As for what it costs to mod the Esprit to 550RWHP levels? Its very cheap. Much less than cost of doing a good turbo job on an Nsx. Remember Nsx internals need to be changed, Esprit internals do not. I know it cost Rob approx 25,000 to do his motor with Gerry Johnson.

And also, trust me, there many an Esprit you will not embarrass. Ive heard from several Esprit and Nsx owners with similar experiences as mine.

19. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Phaleeease. What an ignorant statement.

20. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    He better bring more than that if he squares off against the FX car.

21. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    I can't. Some of your statements lead me to believe you are related to Pinocchio.

You gave one example (in your mind). Where's the rest? Line em up.

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Its a true statement, from an owner of both, not a one sided opinion as yours is.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    YOUR ABSOLUTELY AN IDIOT IF YOU THINK THE FX CAR WILL RUN BETTER!

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What do you want? Names? Phone numbers? Try getting on the Lotus site.

25. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My Europa will easily outbrake my brother-in-law's NSX. I know, I know; you meant an Esprit.

Ken