Lotus Emira | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Lotus Emira

Discussion in 'British' started by sainthoo, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    so no one is going to wait for the "hardcore" versions? which judging from historical precedence will almost surely happen...

IloveGT likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    not to rain on any parade, but if it drives and accelerates like an evora 400 it’s not going to blow anyone away. A perfectly nice streetcar but no cayman gt4 Or elige contender.

let’s seewhat they do with it. Few cars are standout in ver1.0 these days.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I will wait, it’s a really nice car so far, not stunning g but nice. For most it will do the trick as a road car, but I’m Hoping for a modern 250 swb, a car great on Road and track, maybe they’ll get there.

I was seriously thinking of liquifating some other vehicles for a hurricane evo, but then I know I’ll enjoy a gt3 more except both are too expensive to run on track seriously. Which makes me ask what’s the point of you can’t track.

more than once I have strayed from The path of virtue(lotus) light makes right and it was a costly error, the gt40 being the most egregious. . Like the looks of the Emira have reservations s about the true potential of the v6 on track(heat soak) but it sounds better than any other current car: It’s also a little heavy and if a company/car is serious they dont do drilled rotors, those are so 70s bling pretend. Drilled rotors used on track soon develop all sorts of cracks due to different thermal expansion rates. Even the gt350 mustang had proper rotors So that’s how this car starts, as a road car.

yeah I’m waiting for the lighter Sub 3k lbs properly honed version with ohlins and fishhook ap rorors, proper cf bucket seats and a 486-500hp motor. Maybe they’ll do it or close the nigh that it’s a few simple mods away. At that point why Would you buy anything for else.

Boostedtrav likes this.
  4. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Received this note from Earth Motors. Not many cars earmarked for the US.....

Good afternoon we are currently taking 2500 refundable deposits. The deposits are refundable until you actually build your car. They are only making 500 of the for the U.S. If you would like to place a deposit please send over DL and Insurance. Also give me a call at your earliest convenience for a deposit.

Eddie Cantu
    Sales Person
    Earth MotorCars
    Address:
    3216 Kellway Dr. Carrollton Texas, 75006

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I thought you had a V6 Exige for track ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I do and the xige v6 is raw and really fast .
    But that car requires a truck trailer, then its tools tires etc. maybe the emira is slower but just easier.
    last year feelign lazy so took the elise to LRP for the day, drove it there and back, simplicity ha sits own appeal.

7. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Lotus is now considering increasing production. They only planned to run a single shift at their new facility. Ultimately it would be capable of running 3 shifts and tripling the production. I would guess that 3 shifts is too many for the first year, that seems like a lot of people they'd have to hire and train in short order. But maybe they could staff a 2nd shift..

Anyone putting a deposit down now should pay particular attention to whether the dealership will commit in writing to charging MSRP, or you could be in for a surprise when it's time to actually order the car.

ferraripete and pearsonhaus like this.
  8. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Absolutely!! Also, I suspect there will be some that will buy the car to flip. The car is getting a lot of attention and whether it's good or not on the track, it's still a very attractive car at an attractive price. There is a place in this world for daily drivers. :)

boxerman likes this.
  9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    500 for the entire US? Well I guess that kills my chances.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  10. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    570 actually. Maybe that extra 70 helps you ;).

But honestly it seems likely they'll add a 2nd shift and increase production to try to better serve the US market. Anyone seriously interested should get their deposit in asap at a dealer who will commit to MSRP. Feel free to PM me if you are ready and need a few options, I already called several & did some homework on this.

11. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #136 Innovativethinker, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    I've reached out to https://www.galpinlotus.com/ and received an initial email response, after I told them what I wanted they went dark.

Build code: CoOVOYdy

:<(

12. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #137 Innovativethinker, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Got a call back from Justin Permijo at Galpin, setting up an order now!

He indicated that some early deposits are being withdrawn due to the length of time to delivery, and Lotus is checking to be sure multiple orders are not being placed by the same people.

Also informed me that the configurator will soon be updated to include another 5 or so options.

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Did Galpin mention adjusted market price ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sainthoo likes this.
  14. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    They did not, we will be configuring the vehicle after the website has been updated, I will discuss it then.

15. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    They are asking for it (according to a Lotus specific site). If true, I would look elsewhere.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  16. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree with you- great, high HP are very expensive to take on track. The prepped street car is ideal, but a pain in the rump. So.... buy a place at the track- keep car there and problem solved!

I’m looking at Emira as the more driver focused GT (Roma, Continental GT, AM, etc are the more touring kind of GT).

17. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    That JPS looks amazing! If only this could be real.

I put my deposit down today - I'm going for the 3.5l V6 with manual box. Haven't decided on blue or yellow yet, definitely gloss black roof. Details tbc.

I've been contemplating changing my 911 with PDK for a manual as I really, really miss it, but there are so few available and I can't find one with the rest of the spec I want. The Emira looks great, sounds great, has a stick and Jensen Button certainly seems to think it drives great too. I'm in.

18. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I am one of the early depositors there that recently withdrew my order. It wasn't because of length of time. That's kinda the opposite of being an early depositor, we get our cars first :).

It's because Galpin at first promised some of us MSRP, and then more recently said they would charge a "market adjustment" charge on top of that, the amount depending on how hot the car is when it arrives. They wouldn't budge on that stance. I cancelled because there are dealers that are currently willing to commit to MSRP in writing and I wouldn't want to be locked into Galpin.

Just as a heads-up, Eurocar (Lotus Orange County) also has decided not to commit to MSRP.

19. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Thanks for that, I will discuss the price when I configure the car in 3 weeks. Being in SoCal, not many Lotus dealers to choose from. :<(

As I may have mentioned, I don't mind paying something over MSRP, but probably no more than $5k, and will try to negotiate to that number. Will pm you and another as to what, if any, price is determined/promised.

I'm ordering a six with an auto, so there won't be as big of a demand compared to the manuals. The reason for the auto is because my wife will also be enjoying the car, and manuals just me into more trouble anyway.

Not looking at this as an investment or a track car - just a weekend fun mobile.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  20. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hey, just remember that no matter what dealer you buy from, you can still get it serviced under warranty in SoCal (Galpin, etc). Service is separate from sales. I have the feeling that in 3 weeks you'll discover Galpin won't agree to a limit like that on the market adjustment charge, and then you'll be a lot further back on the waiting lists at other dealers who will agree to MSRP right now.

Definitely order what's right for you! It's unfortunate Lotus isn't able to offer a DCT option for the V6. But in spite of all the grief the diehard manual fans give online, the truth seems to be that the latest IPS Evoras do very well for those who wanted or needed to ditch the clutch pedal.

21. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Do you mind explaining why you chose the V6 auto vs I4 DCT? Just curious.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  22. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    from my post below the one you quoted:

I'm ordering a six with an auto, so there won't be as big of a demand compared to the manuals. The reason for the auto is because my wife will also be enjoying the car, and manuals just me into more trouble anyway.