Looking to send the 400 off to a good home :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking to send the 400 off to a good home :)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by KraigG, Aug 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Hans, I'd be only too happy to make out a receipt for you for, let's say, $5k? :)

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Kraig
    I owned a '67 Fulvia Zagato and a '74 Rally when I lived in Belgium. I hope you did a good inspection. The weak point is where the rear of the front sub-frame mounts to the body, just below and a bit in front of the door hinge point. Be sure it is solid around the big rubber bush!

My Zagato was slightly modified with flares and wider wheels. Paint was silver with black racing stripes. It turned heads, mainly women's.

My Rally got modified one night by me when I rolled her over. I converted it to a rally car and was very successful and won a Flemish championship with it.

Good luck with them. Any question PM me; I have a shop manual for the '74.
    Ken

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Thanks, Ken. I'm pretty confident mine is solid. It's an original California car that's been residing in Connecticut for the past 4 years. It's straight, solid, and unmolested. I should have it within the week!

4. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    2 hours left-hurry up and bid on this great deal!! :)

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I guess we have to wait for 1-1/2 hours for the flurry of bids to come in. You're in good company with the Ferraris that are ending during this period.

6. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    so??? what happened?

7. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Checked the link to e-bay and saw the final bid of $18,600.99 :( Would $18,601 have done it? :)

8. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I do not get it, parts cars go for 13K ( hail damaged Texas car) and engines go for 8 to 10K so how come a car that just completed a 5,000 mile trip looks good and is well sorted bidding stalls out a little above parts car Price?

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Doesn't make sense, I know.

Red 400's seem to have a tougher time if it in the resale market. Who would have thought a RED Ferrari would take a hit?

A 5,000 mile trouble free trip tells you everything you need to know about this car doesn't it?

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    @ $18,600., reserve wasn't met yet. , he probably set it above $20k. I recently watched a '94 512 TR (Black/Tan) w/9600mi. go to the winning bidder @$91K & change with a Buy it Now of $99,500. & reserve was met @ $90k more then 20 min. before auction end. Kraig had his listed in this sites ads for $24,900.

11. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Sad. I even had my reserve BELOW what I was advertising it for elsewhere. Doesn't seem right that you can't even get $20k and change for a decent 400i. Even Bergxu got $20k, why can't I? :(

12. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Ebay is a terrible place to sell anything of real value. It is a dumping ground. I know because I buy there all the time and resell at higher prices in better-controlled venues, venues in which buyer perception is different. Ferrari 400s' No. 1 problem is buyer perception, wherever they are sold. Hence, selling them on Ebay is the absolute worst thing you can do for yourself and for the model in general. I'm sure you have a very nice car and I'm sorry you're having problems getting rid of it, but I must add that all this public wringing of hands makes matters worse yet, for you and anyone else wanting to sell one. Make sure you don't share the doubts of potential buyers. Be patient. Set a high price on your car and sell the damn thing. It's a 12 cylinder Ferrari with a bulletproof motor and a history of responsible maintenance, for God's sake.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Don't let that 'reserve' amt. get out!
    High mileage maybe?
    Does onyone know if 'Buy it Now' option incl. has any effect (and amt. set)? I remember Dave mentioning that if too low of $$ shown, people wonder.
    Also remember some mentioning how last year or so, lots of 400s were out there for sale, then in the recent past it seemed like there weren't any. Just before your auction, 2-3 400s came on the auction block. One of them ('84'-26,500mi.) listed $25,000. start bid (@ that $$, reserve not met!), maybe watch these (bid history) to the end & with their track record, yours might look more appealing depending if they're sold (& price). I'm not certain of the mind genre in the auction world. Maybe some others will chime in here with hints or suggestions.

14. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    The mind 'genre' in the auction world is the herd mentality. Think of potential buyers as a herd of wildebeasts (thatmay be mispelled) that spooks and rushes madly away at the slightest hint of anything suspicious, such as low starting prices, a hint of uncertainty in the seller's description, relistings on Ebay (you get one shot on Ebay, after that, you are dead meat there and just about everywhere else.). If I were selling my car, which I'm not, I'd use one of the established auto auction houses where it would be surrounded by good examples of other marques. I'd get myself an elegantly written, confident catalog description of my car that really shows why these are special: great motors, limited production, straightforward mechanicals, a 'bygone' era of Ferrari-ness. I'd set a strong but not otherworldly reserve and try to make somebody feel lucky to buy my Ferrari. That's it.

15. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Kraig,

Your 400i is begining to be almost irresistable, if you were in Michigan, I don't think, I could hold out and live without it.

I hope you find a good home for it soon, as I don't think I can hold out too much longer. ;)

I'll send you a PM. If I have the nerve!

Ciao...Paolo

16. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Bill:

Your suggestions have some merit. But I have to beleive that potential SERIOUS buyers already know the history of the marque, and the uniqueness of the 400 series. It's the folks who don't know the cars are the ones that are not willing to step up and buy a decent, sorted example. Those are the ones who want a 5000 mile example priced in the high teens. Sad, but true.

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1!

18. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    The gentlemen (and or women) seem to know quite a bit about the 400i and 412 in this thread. Would anyone mind telling me if it would be a good daily driver. I live about 15 miles from work and would have a car seat in the back. I don't mind turning wrenches once in a while, but not every weekend. Thoughts fellas???

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The engine will not even be warmed upin 15 miles. If you had a 50 mile commute, and a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic then I would say yes.

Regards,

Art S.

20. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    Thanks for the honesty Art...assuming a Mondial would be the same?

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1
    You'll think the oil temp gauge is broken all the time because the needle will always sit on the peg to the left.

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    arts, i purchased a 400i from ocean city md in march. good car. i drive 4 miles round trip to work. use car twice a week, so far so good. tune up was 5000, by the way.

23. jpc763

jpc763 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007
    Fort Collins, CO
    Full Name:
    John Crowley
    Lets see. I have a 38 mile commute and Dave Helms shop is across the parking lot. If I only had $20k burning a hole in my pocket!

24. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I feel that is a slight exaggeration. On my car, the needle moves off the stop on the temperature gauge after about 5 miles in warm weather. I'd say you'd be fine on your commute, bjhunt1975.

Aidan

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'd say slight....just keep the revs down and shift slow & easy till .....how does one keep the needle on the peg in the heat of Houston?