Looking to reproduce Dino Door Pockets | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Looking to reproduce Dino Door Pockets

Discussion in '206/246' started by rosemeyer, Nov 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Great work. Id like to order a few of the brass center clips. Please post the shop that did the laser-cutting. Thanks, Bradley

2. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I would like to get a complete set as well. What about the holding nails at the ends? What's the source for a complete look. Better to guild the lily or bust.

3. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm glad you're always up for anything. Get busy.

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The laser cutting shop is in Santa Clara here in the bay area: http://www.precision-laser.com/ - I just found them using google; if you live in a metro area there's probably a similar shop local to you. I dropped off a drawing and the sheet brass, and they did the setup and had the pieces ready in a few days. Did a nice job.

6. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can cut me a few clips. What thickness brass stock did you use for the clips? Is it OK if I reference your drawings for my pieces?
    Thanks, Bradley

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It appears that a few Dino require the trim part. We can make them, but planning is the key word.

I will make one (1) batch only, as I will travel with them, have them plated in the USA
    and send them.

If you wish to know further please write to alberto.guirola at gmail.com

Please do not send pm's as I am getting saturated, and it is Easter time here,
    so all getting shut down.

Thank you.

Regards, Alberto

8. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    If anyone wants to know:

RIO GRANDE 800-545-6566 has solid nickel 24-26 gauge sheet goods and 1/2 round wire as needed for the trim.

9. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I am working on the solid nickel nails also.

10. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Note that solid nickel wire will be harder to work than dead soft brass. Alloy (like "German silver", which has no silver in it) is easier to work but can tarnish, depending on the mix of metals.

11. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Mark
    The nickel wire is soft dead wire.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you! Same place my wife shops for her jewelry making supplies.

Regards, Alberto

13. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Spoke to Dan today at Precision-Laser. He is happy to cut some center clips but needs either your order or packing number to reference the job. Can you also furnish the brass plate thickness? Thanks, Bradley

14. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Or if you would be kind enough to post a copy of the center clip drawing forwarded to Precision-Laser that would be great.

15. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Brad I saw where Tony used 26 gauge metal for the clips. Why don't you us nickel sheet goods so you do not have to plate? You can buy on amazon for 7 bucks for a sheet 6x12 inches, pure and simple.

16. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    #216 bradley baum, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    I'm in for using nickle sheet as long as it's flexible enough to allow the clip legs to bend after insertion through the door pocket. Thanks

17. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Brad the nickel wire 10 gauge 3mm, 1/2 round is also available on etsy, FYI.

18. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Sorry 8 gauge also available.

19. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #219 mar3kl, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Now we're cooking with all components sorted including the door pockets. Any takers for laser-cut center clips if I order them in the 26 gauge nickle-silver? I'm likely going to order a dozen or so, if for no other reason than I've been cogitating on this for a while. I'd even trade a few if someone orders the 10 gauge 1/2 round nickle-silver wire.
    Great team work! Thanks.

21. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I mentioned your strategy of using nickel-silver (actually copper, nickel, and zinc) to a friend who makes jewelry, and she said to be aware that it tarnishes and develops a green/brown patina with age, similar to brass. The tendency to tarnish and the level of patina is related to the percentage of copper in the alloy, with dead soft having more copper and more patina. You might be better off plating brass instead.

22. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Spoke again to Dan at Precision-laser, the minimum order for door pocket center clips is 20, which is not a problem. Curious though if mar3kl has any "not spoken for" clips from original order? Thanks, Bradley

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My alternate shipping for the wire did not work out, and had to opt out for another solution.

It will arrive Miami in a week, then, 4 more days to have in my hands.

We will get right on it, as soon as something is ready, I will post the results.

Regards, Alberto

24. bradley baum

bradley baum Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Precision-laser to cut a couple dozen stainless steel door pocket center clips. The surface can be rendered in any number of ways to match and at .3mm thickness the legs can be twisted and folded over as originals. Suitable stainless steel 1/2 round wire to be sourced next. Onward, Bradley

25. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice progress - polished stainless will look good. I wasn't able to source stainless half round, hopefully you'll have better luck.