Looking to add Capristo exhaust...suggestions? | FerrariChat

Looking to add Capristo exhaust...suggestions?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jason Craig, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason Craig

Jason Craig Rookie

Dec 12, 2019
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Jason Craig
    I’d like to “enhance” the sound of my 2010 California with a new Capristo exhaust system. I’ve read the differences and just wondered who all has experience with the different options...mainly x-pipe vs straight and 200 cats vs factory. Also trying to decide whether I want them to run loud all the time, using factory ecm valve and/or a remote. Truthfully I think I’d just like to run them wide open all the time. I’d love any feedback. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    On a Cali-T, I have the Capristo exhaust. I did not do the X-pipe (probably should have). I also have the Capristo key fob to open/close the valves.

It sounds amazing and I very much enjoy the ability to open and close the valves via the remote. YMMV.

Good luck.

3. Jason Craig

Jason Craig Rookie

Dec 12, 2019
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Jason Craig
    Thank for the feedback, just curious why you think you should have gone with the X pipe?

4. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    The word is you just get a better flow (small increase in HP) and slightly better sound. I don't have any drone but hear from others that the X pipe helps a bit re: no drone.

I do not understand the physics of it.

The Capristo + Fob is an awesome setup. Sound when you want it. Less sound when you don't....(neighbors, certain locations, streets, cops around, whatever).

5. Jason Craig

Jason Craig Rookie

Dec 12, 2019
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Jason Craig
    Good info, thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 4th_gear, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    My Cali30 has the full Capristo exhaust system with remote valve control. The Capristo X-pipe for the NA Cali only fits the Capristo piping for their sport cat or straight pipes. You cannot just install the Capristo X-pipe alone.

Don’t do straight pipes because it doesn’t work or sound better than the sport cats and you will poison the air you breathe as you drive the car especially roof-down. Incomplete combustion exhaust is a Class A carcinogen. The air will stink with heavy exhaust fumes. Drivers stuck behind your car will rightfully take a dim view of you.

The car with a full Capristo exhaust will sound incredible but cold starts will wake up the entire neighborhood. It’s much louder than any factory spec Ferrari road car. The car will have a very nice edgy feel to it because every so often, the engine will give the car a “shrug” or swagger even when you are not purposely doing it. It feels like the car has a mind of its own, in a very nice way.

Engine performance will improve all-round but you have to like the raspiness when you apply aggressive throttle - all high performance cars even factory-spec ones feature the same raspiness because they all employ the same exhaust strategy. The factory spec Cali actually has some drone to it already but most people don’t realize it. The Capristo full exhaust will amplify it - it happens at around 1800 rpm. The simple trick is to not rev at 1800 rpm and if you used to drive stick shift that would already come naturally to you because no respectable sports car driver drives their car engine at 1800 rpm - it’s a dead part of the torque band. However, having said this you should hear the horrible drone (in sport muffler setting) from the (turbo) 991.2 GT2 RS I drove recently - it’s so bad the loud exhaust setting is unusable at any engine speed.

When I take my car out for my fun drives, I open the valves. Take-offs, low end, high end power and noise are all significantly improved. I close them when I want to be more discrete or when I have to cruise due to lack of interesting roads or time.

AD211 likes this.
  7. Jason Craig

Jason Craig Rookie

Dec 12, 2019
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Jason Craig
    Great information, thank you!