Wanted - Looking for the right F40 | FerrariChat

Wanted Looking for the right F40

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Chetsstm3, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chetsstm3

Chetsstm3 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Greetings,

I have been an F40 fan since I was little. One of my favorite video games was The Dual where you could run an F40, 959 and a Diablo. I always chose the F40. Now that I've celebrated my 40th the time has come to try and turn my dream into a reality.

My hope is to find a car that offers all around value, the perfect “driver”. I drive my cars so a top dollar low mileage museum piece is not in the cards. I also don’t mind some OEM plus style mods like exhaust, brakes, suspension, etc.. Classiche certification or the ability to obtain it is not important as long as the price reflects that. Euro vs US is also not crucial as long as they are sorted, although given the choice I’d prefer Euro. There are a few cars that I’ve reached out on or have talked to friends who have reached out on my behalf. One or two might work out but we are a little apart on the deal. My limited research suggests a chasm between perfect original cars and drivers...maybe I’m off the mark. My budget is plus or minus $1m for the right car. Some cars I’ve reached out on are worth less, some more. If anyone has a car or knows of one please reach out. Also any feedback on my range would be appreciated. I have limited privileges on this site so I’m not sure if I can pm or not.

Thank you,
    Dave

bamaman, Bthesixthree and vr4henry like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Scuderia 110 likes this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    pm sent

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    You’re going to sell your 40??? Don’t do it!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    most definitely NOT.
    i just offered to chat since i have almost exactly the car he describes, and its easier than typing. :)

Julia likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hooray!!!

LVP488 likes this.
  7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    There are at least a handful of F40s which you can currently buy an F40 for @ $1,000,000, F40s were built in sufficient quantities so this is not a problem.

What you're getting for this price range is a car that is in fair condition, meaning F40s that have been modified, sometimes irreversibly with the original parts (brakes, exhaust etc) NLA. The paint will be imperfect which means some chips, scratches or cracks, and the headlights and the windshield might be chipped. The wheels (if they are the originals) will have some scrapes and or some discoloration. The interior will not be pristine and the Nomex fabric may be flawed or slightly ripped, the headliner might be sagging. In other words, a driver.

Perhaps more important than any of these cosmetic shortcomings will be the fact that there will be gaps in the service history and a significant amount of deferred maintenance, for example, fuel bladders required in a Eu F40, a clutch requirement, turbo replacement requirements, belts service requirements, and optimization of the Marelli Fuel injectors so the car works properly. This is the area that will be most expensive to rectify especially if the car is to be used safely.

I have extensive F40 experience, Ive owned 3 myself, and we have sold at least 75 cars (I think, I forget the actual number!) over the years, so feel free to call and we can chat so I can help you with ownership expectations. These are very cool cars when they are working well, then they are rockets for the road!

of2worlds, Julia, tfazio and 11 others like this.
  8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    member subscribed, thread placed in proper forum.

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    What are your thoughts on a car that is sorted and original but has accident history? Essentially a rebuild with a branded title.