Looking for some information | FerrariChat

Looking for some information

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Lotaz, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a couple of (2) man crews I need to get to the "big" island to do some work for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately they fly with their equipment which means each guys will have ~ 4 bags pushing 50# each.

Question one what is the cheapest way to fly them there with baggage.

Question 2 are there any extended stays that are not on the expensive side?

Question 3 does anyone out there work with crane companies and can recommend a safety oriented crane service company?

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There are freight options to get heavy stuff between islands. I believe the local airlines all have freight forwarding for heavy stuff. If you are counting pennys on shipping you may be in for a surprise with crane costs. You will want to have this all locked up before you commit to a contract to perform.
    Vacation rentals may be an option for your men if there are some nearby the job.

Lotaz likes this.
  3. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    You have a lot of options and I have no idea which ones would be most cost effective.

Your guys can fly to Honolulu then take an inter-island flight to the Big Island, or they can fly from Las Vegas (I assume) directly to either Hilo or Kailua Kona. I'm not sure where your job is. At this point, our inter-island services are pretty expensive. I would guess it would be cheaper to fly directly to Hilo or Kailua Kona, but you can price both.

You have 16 boxes of equipment totaling about 800 lbs., if I understand you correctly. That can be shipped as additional baggage on the airlines you choose. That used to be a cost effective way to move stuff, but it has gotten much more expensive.

Your alternative then is to ship it over. Matson and Pasha will ship from the West Coast. You may find it easier to just ship with a regular package company: UPS, Fed. Ex., and don't forget the U.S. Mail. You may find UPS and Fed. Ex. "Ground" to work for you -- despite the name they may offer that service to Hawaii. Because Hawaii is part of the U.S., the U.S. Mail to Hawaii is often priced on a par with shipping a package from place to place on the mainland, and it can be a cost effective way to ship things here. If your equipment is heavy but small, flat rate boxes can be surprisingly efficient.

Renting a car on the Big Island is relatively cheap. Renting a truck, however, can be expensive.

Once upon a time we had the SuperFerry, which allowed craftsmen to ship their tools and trucks between the islands efficiently, but that option is now gone.

Good luck!

Lotaz likes this.
  4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

For shipping look into Trump Card or Honolulu Freight Service out of LA. They will be the least expensive.
    Housing will be expensive and hard to secure. We are paying 500.00 a night on Maui double occupancy.
    Rental car will cost you at least 75.00 day. We are required to pay 50.00 day per man for meals.
    Good luck hiring anyone on island to do any kind of quality work. If you are using Union double your
    usual rates and you will still lose money.

Lotaz likes this.
  5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I shipped myself a crated motorcycle a couple years ago and DHX was the best rate of the usual suspects. So you can check with them too. Try to plan your work with a boom truck(s) if possible. Many of the electrical contractors have these, at least on Oahu. The bigger the crane the more you will dealing with the unions as the operators and often mandatory oilers are strictly union IIRC.

Lotaz likes this.
  6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you all for the info. As I started receiving more information I will have work Oahu, Kauai and Maui as well.

I figure as far as anyone else goes they would have the same expenses with the exception of getting over to Hawaii from the mainland. So our client shouldn't have sticker shock so to speak.

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    If bags are 50 pounds each just take them with you. The bag fees will be less than shipping them. For big island, agree flying directly to KOA or ITO from the mainland will save you some green and those planes will be able to handle the total bags for your guys more easily. Look at VRBO for deals on places to stay.