Looking for race results for Salinas 1955 Oct 1-3 | FerrariChat

Looking for race results for Salinas 1955 Oct 1-3

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by dman550, Nov 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    hello all,

This race is most famous for what happened before the event. James Dean had his accident and died on his way to the event. I wanted to know what the results where to this race. I have bought a few Dec 1955 Mags to see if anything had been written. Nothing yet.....

thanks any help would be appreciated.

Dario

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Dario, interesting subject matter.

Some Google digging found a lot of factoids about that era of SCCA racing but not
    exactly what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, record keeping from that era (and earlier) wasn't exactly what it is
    today. You may get lucky and find an SCCA historian in the area with links to the era
    or even a local newspaper that published race reports in their archives.

BHW

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I live in Salinas right now. I've never visited the library (! ;)), but this gives me a good "excuse".... No promises on time frame, but I'll see what I can find "locally" & report back.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd suggest reaching out to the SF Region of the SCCA or Laguna Seca (Salinas was the predecessor to that track) and see if they have any resources.

apparently it was a regional race, so records aren't very consistent or durable.

6. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

#6 LBBP, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    I believe those early races were called the San Francisco Chronicle Grand Prix that were held at Salinas, ne: Laguna Seca. So many great old tracks back then, Santa Barbara, Golden Gate, Torrey Pines. Try these sites for information, especially the first one's "links" section.

NewTodayAtTamsOldRaceCarSite

The Early Days

This organization might be your best source for information, they are the long standing group associated with Laguna Seca.

http://www.scramp.org

7. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I have a couple of great pics of the start and would love to know how the cars placed and wonder where Dean would have placed.

Dario

8. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    #8 dman550, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sam Weiss leads Chick Leson and Bill David all in OSCA MT4's I know this from the car numbers. I would love to know who was in the speedster.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #9 BartonWorkman, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Very cool pic.

Notice in the background, what appears to be a film movie camera (likely a local
    news crew) so these events did have some sort of media in attendance whereas many
    races of that era were kept "strictly private".

At the first 12 Hours of Sebring, for example, the City of Sebring was skeptical of Alec
    Ulmann's vision and only agreed to get behind the first event if there were no spectators
    present. While unusual, this was not unique to the time. We know that there was media
    there as the images from local news outlets of the time prove but the only spectators in
    attendance were Ulmann's well heeled invited guests and "Cafe Society" friends from the
    Morocco Club in New York City before Sebring allowed a limited amount of paying spectators
    the next year.

A couple of years ago, I was asked if I could find any information on a particular Land Speed
    Record car from the era when they ran these trials on Daytona Beach. The car had recently
    been purchased by a collector for restoration (no small task) and he wanted to know more
    about its history. The assumption on this car which was famous most recently for being on
    "American Pickers" at one time was that it was a Daytona Land Speed Record car as it was
    found in a guy's back yard there.

This era went back to the 1930s so finding anyone whom may have served as an event
    journalist or historian would be difficult. None the less, there was some information on this
    car online and attempts to find any records on the car led to the Daytona Beach News Journal
    which referred me to Daytona International Speedway's resident historian as DIS is in possession
    of the records (such as they are).

The DIS historian could not find anything suggesting that this car took part at the Daytona
    Land Speed Records events which wasn't what the new owner wanted to hear. After more digging,
    it was revealed that the car had been used to film a movie called "Speed" starring Jimmy Stewart
    in 1936. The giveaway that this was a prop car was the huge compass in the middle of the dash
    which no real Land Speed Record car would need.

After its stint as a movie prop, the car bounced around the country utilized mainly by used
    car dealers as a come-on prop at their lots and eventually it ended up in Daytona.

The point is, there must be some sort of records on these races as we've seen from subtle
    online digging. Good luck on the search, it is fun to get these types of facts but our friends here
    are right, the answers are out in the Salinas area. SCRAMP would be a good place
    to start.

BHW

10. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A late friend told the story that James Dean stopped at the Smorgasbord Restaurant where she was a waitress on old 99/ Union Ave. in Bakersfield for dinner before continuing on to Salinas.

11. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I have to say it I'm stumped. i've contacted SCRAMP and have posted different places. NOTHING. I have bought most of the Nov /Dec 1955 magazines that coved racing in the 50's. I did find that the winner seemed to be a porsche 550 driven by Jean Pierre Kunstle (USA)

12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How about early members of PCA and POC ? Both clubs started in 1955.

Porsche Club of America
    Porsche Owners Club

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sometimes, in deals like this, persistence pays.

Stay on their backs, don't take "no" (or now answer) for an answer.

BHW

14. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! Well most of it......I spoke to racing historian Gary Horstkorta and he was nice to give me a clipping from Salina Chronicle. As soon as I have confirmation that I can post the article I will.

One thing I can say is that the car in front of the picture I posted came first in class #55 Sam Weiss in class G in his OSCA MT4 # 1121

Dario

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Congrats and look forward to the results/clipping.

16. dman550

dman550 Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    White Rock BC
    Full Name:
    Dario
    If anyone does have any other info on that race I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!!!