Looking for a VW car in the middle east | FerrariChat

Looking for a VW car in the middle east

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Mr.Anthony337, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Anthony337

Mr.Anthony337 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #1 Mr.Anthony337, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Posting in here because it's region specific. It's not Ferrari, or even any other exotic, but they can only be had in that part of the world and I'm interested in seeing if there's any out there that are looking for a new home.

2002 Volkswagen New Beetle "Cup Edition"

It's a 1.8L Turbo New Beetle, with the cup racing body parts on it from the factory, monogramed racing seats inside.
    Wasn't priced, to my knowledge, out of the "normal" range for a limited edition VW but it was ONLY available in middle easter countries.
    Have seen plenty of pics of a silver, black, and rare blue cars at dealer lots or on the street. One gentleman repainted his a metallic orange
    and it came out great. Some pics are found here.

I'm hoping, if anyone on Fchat is over there, they might be able to let me know if these are around, ever sold used, or if there is some "local"
    listing service I'd have the best luck of finding one on...

As for it being imported to the US, which is what I'd love to do... I don't see to much problem with it, as it's identical to a US stree VW in all aspects, other than the body kit and the seats (which could easily be changed if necessary). Anyone else have any experience bringing in "normal" cars from that part of the world to the USA? Thoughts? Warnings? Tips?

Here's a pic of one of them. Please let me know if you're in that area, or know how I could track one down (if they're on the market) for purchase.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I've seen one of these driving around in Kuwait...but it's been a year or so since I saw it.... Arrezo might have more info.

Mike in Kuwait

3. Mr.Anthony337

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    well hopefully he can chime in here :)

4. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Saw it running around a year ago, must be around here somewhere, alot of cars are just parked and we don't see them or they end up getting exported out to all over, anyways check this out:

http://www.q8car.com/English/main.asp?WebPage=CarDetails&id=34162

You never know one might show up on there, Good Luck with your search.

S

5. Mr.Anthony337

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I can't figure that site out. It just shows the picture of the car... that looks like a Cup edition with some added paint work, but how could I find out if it's for sale or how to get in touch with the seller?

6. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Its right next to personal car, just add 965 in front of it and give him a call

7. Mr.Anthony337

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    OH, I thought that was like a stock number or something! Okay. Now to just find out what time it is over there :) and hope he speaks english... and then find out about shipping, and importing, and .... gah. Too bad there's not just someone over there to call and have handle it! hehehe

8. Mr.Anthony337

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I called the number and sure enough, was hitting a pretty hefty language barrier :p don't even know if I got the right person, or if they had any clue who the F I was calling out of the blue...

Anyone from here in that area that might be able to call them and just ask a few simple questions? I'd surely appreciate it.

Is it a "Cup Edition" New Beetle?
    Still for sale?
    How many miles?
    Any accidents?

They never offered this edition of the NB outside of the Middle East for some reason, and having one would be a VERY cool thing. I'm pretty sure importing it would be a snap because it's identical to the US spec New Beetles, other than the sport seats and a body kit... no engine differences for the comprable model year at all and emissions are identical as well from everything I've gathered from VAG and the factory guys I know.

Me and my wife were very into the VW scene, New Beetles in specific, and it's how we met. Her car was lost in her divorce, and my car was run up a high curb by an idiot housemate and left for dead. It's now a daily driver for my aunt-in-law as we just weren't in any position to fix it and get it back on track as a fun project at the time and she needed a car anyway...

But now we're looking at quite a bit different financial situation, having our own place to keep it (moving from apt to house soon), and also have a few mutual friends still VERY into VW events so... I'd like to see if I can get one out of the desert and back here.

Can someone help me with this at all?

9. Mr.Anthony337

Dec 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Actually, I've found a link to a true VW New Beetle race car (a few infact) in UK and Germany so... I'll go that route instead of the Cup Edition (street car with body and seats)... And the one in Germany is even the same color as my wife's show car was! Thanks for helping me track this one down though... but I think importing from the UK and Germany will be easier/cheaper than from the ME, and the car is about $8,000 less as well there!

10. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Post Pics