Looking for a nice Dino. Any leads ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Looking for a nice Dino. Any leads ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Has anyone ever re-drilled the drain holes in a better location to facilitate better runoff? Maybe during a restoration?

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    alberto,

I thanked you for your insight days ago and acknowledged that I get your point. Now your bordering on disrespect. And, Deloreans aren't my thing.

I began this thread specifically looking for enthusiast owned cars that might be for sale outside of simple internet searches. I've learned from the input of many of you, including Alberto, and really appreciate and welcome the participation. At this point, I'd like to return to leads on actual cars for sale, preferably enthusiast owned.

Thanks,

Skipp

Skip, it appears you only want to hear what is convenient to you, and will make you sleep tight at night.

My recommendation, buy a DeLorean, and even then...............................................

Regards, Alberto[/QUOTE]

3. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #103 Voda, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't think Alberto means any disrespect. The point is, what you seem to be seeking likely does not exist. You seem to want the best of both worlds... as you state:
    There in lies the rub:
    It either has Rust or it has been completely restored and does not. Period. There is NO in between. These cars used to be "cheap" and not so sought after. I remember seeing used ones sit on lots for months in Southern CA (ocean air, salt, etc.). It wasn't until "recently" that they became valuable.
    So, no disrespect to you meant, but your current approach to your search may be a futile exercise in frustration. Although, I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    The 246 Dino rust issues are similar to the Porsche 356, both all have rust issues.

5. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    +1...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1gOH44WqCg[/ame]

6. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
  7. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #107 Voda, Jan 3, 2017
  8. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #108 Voda, Jan 3, 2017
  9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #109 166&456, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Sheesh, that's negative. Not wanting blistering paint and rust bubbles after a few years is why it is important to have some idea of what is under that layer of shiny paint before you buy. Any classic car owner with half a brain can tell you that.

If it is bought right and then properly stored and used, you will be spared from faded paint, seized brakes or other troubles. The ageing process is enormously slowed when stored properly. Yes tyres will dry out eventually, but one set every ten or fifteen years and a fluid change every three years or so (again, when properly used and stored, that is certainly enough) does not break the bank.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you. You and I think alike.
    I currently have three Ferraris, and have owned other Ferraris, Porsches, and Alfas. I'm not a virgin classic car wannabe. I simply asked for leads. I can then evaluate the individual cars. The deteriorating posts here are becoming non-helpful.

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #111 Skippr1999, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Yes and no. I was interested in picking this one up. Called. Asked to see invoices for all the claimed work that was done in the description provided online and also claimed by the representative on the phone ("Was reupholstered, which included new leather, carpets, and new dash fabric. Engine was freshened with new valves, rings, and bearings...") He acted like I was asking for the world. Really weird IMO. I mean they are advertising they had all this work done and even have the cost of the work, etc., yet the invoices are somehow not available. I told him that I want the history, paperwork, and invoices before spending any more of my time. He said he would email them once he could get them together. That was a month ago.
    Maybe you'll have better luck.

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    [/QUOTE]

Skipp, If I had meant to be disrespectful, I would have asked you for your email or phone number and then you would have received all the disrespect in the world.

The DeLorean bit, was tongue-in-cheek, I would have assumed you would have picked up on that one.

I do not disrespect anyone. Period. Particularly in public.

Yet, this being a public forum, where we all enjoy and try to help our fellow Dinoland fellows, anything I have mentioned to you comes from experience, and huge amounts of patience, sprinkled with goodwill, as everyone else has thus far.
    It has been over 100 posts trying to find you a Dino...

I DO restore Dinos and know them intimately inside and out, so please afford me the courtesy that I do know about rust and a few other issues, very well.

You can look at either of my restorations and acquaint yourself with my work.

So, in conclusion, as I will not continue my "disrespect" towards you, this is my last reply
    to your quest, and even if I knew of a car, this time and regretfully, I would not share it with you.
    Why? because all you wish to hear is your reasoning and no one else's.

I can best describe your conundrum as: I don't like black nor white, and gray won't do it.

By the way, you must know, that you are becoming well known behind closed doors.
    Possibly, Europe, might be a better option, sort of like turning a new page.
    And as a plus, you have a very strong $....

I wish you the best in your most indecisive quest for a Dino, and if you do ever find one, please let us all know about your experiences, good or bad, and we will all be happy to give you a helping hand.

Regards, Alberto

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    We need a price range before we can help you. We know $400,000 ish is out of your price range for a fully nuts and bolts restored Dino with history, books, tools and jack with a great color combo of Azzuro Metallittazo/tan with Daytona seats. What is your real price range for a driver Dino? Seems for what you want you should beat least in the 300-350 range.

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds cheap and a great value compared to what $50-100k less would buy you.

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This is starting to appear to be like so many of the historic WTB a Dino threads that we've seen before - someone posts that they really want to buy a Dino, they ask for leads, we oblige and make suggestions - such as the person wanting to buy should drive them, should have a trusted mechanic check them, and should have a PPI done, etc., etc. - yet not much seems to happen. This goes on for 5 pages, 10 pages 20 pages or more of postings. [To see what I mean, do an advanced search in the Dino section for WTB or Want to Buy and you will find threads from what appear to be 14 year-olds, to ghosts that claim that they had $750,000 to $1.5 million to start a collection - and we all chimed in with suggestions that for the most part ended up leading to nothing].

I agree with OMG (and I am sure many others here feel the same) that without an idea of the price range that one is willing to pay, it is very hard to help, or to take such WTB threads seriously.

Continuously asking about cars that have been advertised on various forums that only a few of us have actually seen doesn't really help.

So, Skippr:

1. I know that it is still early in your quest, but what is your target price range (it really doesn't help if you simply say that the price range will depend upon the particular Dino - because we all know that already)?;

2. What specific Dinos have you actually looked at and driven?;

3. Did you like ANY of them?; and

4. If so, what made you decide not to pull the trigger?

Seems pretty simple to me to narrow the focus of your search.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The reason for this thread was not to get a tutorial on Dino rust. It was simply asking for people who may want to sell their Dino to contact me to discuss things. Other than OMGjon, I don't think any of the posts here have been from individuals who have a car to discuss..

I'm so happy to know that I'm "becoming well known behind closed doors", Oh please, don't sell me your car.....my money is no good.....for the record, I've bought eight classic cars without a ppi, sight unseen and haven't been burned yet. Why ? Because I ask questions and get a gut feeling from the seller along with good photos. So please save the arrogance.

Never mind....I'll find my car elsewhere.

18. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    My first post here:

I really would do the PPI. It's like insurance where you don't need it until you do - and then you really do.

The PPI on my Dino, now sold, was done by Patrick Ottis. On my most recent vintage Ferrari I also had him look at it. (And did a price adjustment with the seller on some minor but pricey work that needed to be done). Matching numbers, sheet metal, compression, etc is just too important and too expensive of a mistake.

It also gave me a few items to correct.

Especially with the less valuable cars like Dino's that weren't valuable enough to be well maintained.

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Finally, the OP will find his car elsewhere.

Moderators, please close the thread as we are a useless arrogant bunch of bums :)

Regards, Alberto

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    No, just you Alberto. Everyone else has been fine.

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Anyone who wants to discuss things with civility, please feel free to send me a PM as many have done. I'm done with this thread publicly. Thanks to those who helped.

Bye, bye.

22. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Except me too, please - see post #38 😎

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well, I must have been dancing a little close to the edge too, I guess. But I didn't think that any of the posts here were too rough or too obnoxious.

Oh well - I hope Skippr finds and BUYS a Dino that fits his needs, and that he comes back to this section and posts after he finds his Dino.

Even Dan Banks, the Corvette restorer (yes, I checked him out with the NCRS and he truly was/is a known and respected Corvette restorer) who started a lengthy WTB a Dino thread a few years ago eventually came back and posted about the resulting purchase after many here, including me, raised doubts about whether he really was searching for Dino on behalf of one of his clients.

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  25. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    well, having read this thread in it's entirety

I now fear stepping to the mic to be the next newbie WTB a DINO guy ...

I have been on a low intensity search for a while now and right before the holidays i got a bit more intense

to back up - I am merely a collector - I have never owned a Ferrari

I do have a Porsche and a Tesla but my collector cars are all American Muscle and Custom Builds that I do at my shop in Van Nuys CA

BUT to be clear - I do none of the wrenching - I am a tire kicking, auction-going car nut who has owned a fair number of cars in my life

I have sold a few cars at Barrett Jackson - which was an intense riot of a time

I am currently building an insane 1970 Chevelle Custom Convertible with an LS9 crate motor

Let me try to crawl back to my point ....